High tensile wire for a catch pen

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
Im needing to build a catch pen and ive seen several around my area that use 10 or 12 strands if high tensile wire about 5' tall. has anybody on here ever used a pen like that? im gonna use some beefy locust posts every 8' and i was thinking of putting 11 strands 6'' apart and plan on making the top wire 5' 4'' tall. any suggestions will be appreciated, my only other option being im a logger is cutting some 4'' diameter white oak poles and putting about 5 runs of those and spiking them to the posts. im gonna make it a big rectangle 36'X56'

Whatever the cross runs will be, the locust posts will be there a long long time. They are awesome when cured before putting in the ground. Bent many a nail or staple in them over the years....

sounds like a recipe for disaster and some hurt cattle.

BlondeD":2wollxp0 said:
Whatever the cross runs will be, the locust posts will be there a long long time. They are awesome when cured before putting in the ground. Bent many a nail or staple in them over the years....
yea they were dead standing so they are hard as a brick, ive seen some posts that are 80 years old still standing

We have and still do use 8 to 10 Barbwirefor traps. Usually have a heavy tpost every 8' and a cedar stay every two.
With today's higher quality net wire any more I build will be a high tensile fixed knot netwire.

i had several traps built out of HT FK netwire and it did pretty good but full speed runs right into did a number on it. it still held pretty good but i'd give it only a few years life if running a decent amount.

the only reason i wouldnt use netwire is because its only 4' tall and when you step up to 5' its just too expensive, the last time i checked anyway it would cost about 300 bucks for a roll

Turkeybird":2tf88tyd said:
fixed knot outside , five strands barbed on inside, posts 8'

yea I ended up putting 4 strands on the inside of the netwire. It really made a difference.

Why not fixed knot woven? 1348-3 or 1661-3 would work great in a high pressure application like that. And be safer too, slick wire and livestock in a confined area do not mix well.

Latest posts