pen hookers

Help Support CattleToday:

At the main sale yard I go to it's very well posted for "pen hookers" to keep out or else. I've never seen one.

I kinda look at it this way.. You got your money.. and if it was cash.. even better than going thru the sale ring.
He77 if I could sell all mine for cash money.. I would.

Limomike":1bgy5ksf said:
I kinda look at it this way.. You got your money.. and if it was cash.. even better than going thru the sale ring.
Why???

denvermartinfarms":wxzq6ux1 said:
Limomike":wxzq6ux1 said:
Why???
Denver look at it this way. If you happened to be in the 25% tax bracket and sold $4000 worth of calves you could owe $1000 in taxes and have $3000 left over. If you sell them for $3800 cash and don't have any records to pay taxes on you have $3800 or $800 more. This is part of what keeps the penhookers going.

kenny thomas":3vqlmhjt said:
denvermartinfarms":3vqlmhjt said:
Limomike":3vqlmhjt said:
Why???
Denver look at it this way. If you happened to be in the 25% tax bracket and sold $4000 worth of calves you could owe $1000 in taxes and have $3000 left over. If you sell them for $3800 cash and don't have any records to pay taxes on you have $3800 or $800 more. This is part of what keeps the penhookers going.
I know Kenny, I just wanted to hear him explain income tax evasion. I don't approve of what the government spends money on, and knowone in the country dislikes our government more than me.I will use every legal deduction possible to my advantage. But with that said, I don't steal.

The sure fire way to make sure you don't end up like me is know what you've got, how much it weighs and a good idea of what the market is. My mistake was I didn't know what my steer weighed.

Run into the pen hooker last night that bought my baldie, he sold for $740, guy made $23 after commission. I don't mind that, at least uncle sam doesn't know he was mine.

So they are buying them and then just running them through the barn? So no brand inspection, no proof of ownership? That's weird to me. Out here if you sell you have to have a brand inspection done. Wether it's one calf or a thousand.

Shadscale":1fkg1kt4 said:
So they are buying them and then just running them through the barn? So no brand inspection, no proof of ownership? That's weird to me. Out here if you sell you have to have a brand inspection done. Wether it's one calf or a thousand.
There is no brand inspection or requirement in most if not all of the eastern states. No proof of ownership either. I have known of cattle being bought that had been stolen. A smart penhooker always writes down the truck license number so he does have a record of at least that.

Shadscale":19f8h6i5 said:
No brand Inspection, no nothing here. I can take anything anywhere I want, give any name in the phone book to sell them under, I can get the check, forge the name I sold them under and cash it

Very little attention payed to anything like that here.

So does anyone brand cattle at all? That's probably a dumb question cause it sounds like a brand is worthless. Is there a lot of cattle rustling that goes on? This is just odd to me. I have a state brand inspector look at my cattle at the local sale barns and when I sell semi loads off my ranch I have one come the morning of delivery and look over them.

Shadscale":2omehhkx said:
So does anyone brand cattle at all? That's probably a dumb question cause it sounds like a brand is worthless. Is there a lot of cattle rustling that goes on? This is just odd to me. I have a state brand inspector look at my cattle at the local sale barns and when I sell semi loads off my ranch I have one come the morning of delivery and look over them.
Only cattle I ever seen here that had a brand came from the west. Or bulls that had been through the Va Tech bull test station. No one here brands.

Some brand,some don't. It can help if they get stolen. No I wouldn't say there's alot if rustling but there is some, and a pretty good amount of the rustlers get cought, because they aren't real smart.

Is there a lot of cattle that get stolen? If there is no proof of ownership needed a thief could just say all his stolen cattle were his that he raised. Sorry to ask so many questions I just can't imagine not branding. You guys must be some darn good fence builders.

Shadscale":9owqw9x9 said:
Is there a lot of cattle that get stolen? If there is no proof of ownership needed a thief could just say all his stolen cattle were his that he raised. Sorry to ask so many questions I just can't imagine not branding. You guys must be some darn good fence builders.
No, not a lot.

Well I learned something today. The term pen hookers and that not everyone brands. It's a good day when you learn something.

It's odd that a fellow posted last week how well he was treated and how good his experience was at Athens yet Calhoun got stabbed by the hookers and "everyone" harassed while unloading at the same barn.....

If I remember the guy last week was selling on a preconditioned sale where they were signed up 45 or more days in advance. No chance for the penhookers to buy anything that way.

denvermartinfarms":1y0xfgtm said:
We don't have pen hookers around here. But I figure 95% of the time they wouldn't be trying to buy them outside if they could buy them cheaper in the ring.

Ditto. They were looking for a deal and got it. Market price here for 500 to 600 lb steers is $1.50 to $2.00 / lb

Latest posts