Pellet Grills

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a Traeger that's been a pretty good unit. I've had it for about 7 years now and have put maybe a ton of pellets through it with only minor issues. If I were to buy one today it would be a Recteq. I'm sure Traeger has made some changes to their pellet grills in the new models, but there is not enough smoke at higher temps with mine. So I use a smoke tube to add extra smoke when smoking meats. Grilling or baking on hire temps it is basically a propane grill or oven. very little or no smoke flavor. I still use the charcoal grill for anything that needs a good sear like steaks, burgers, chicken breast, etc.

Oh, pellets make a huge difference. I will only use Recteq or Cookin pellets. Everything else I have tried adds a nasty burned oil taste. My father runs a pit boss and uses pit boss competition pellets, they see ok to.

Last edited:
Did you get the competition cart option?
Yes, I went with orange. I got the grilling inserts and they work real well. You can sear the outside and still have a medium rare steak. Pork butts, Salmon, pork chops, ham, chicken, it's all been a big hit with that smoker. The only one I'm not a fan of is smoked turkey.

I have been thinking about getting one. I would like to smoke some summer sausage. Been looking at a Pit Boss from Walmart. I would like a Traeger, but that is out of my budget.

I have been thinking about getting one. I would like to smoke some summer sausage. Been looking at a Pit Boss from Walmart. I would like a Traeger, but that is out of my budget.

I have tried summer sausage on mine but the problem was it only goes down to 180. It tends to render the fat out at that temp. I used to have a masterbuilt electric smoker that i modified to burn pellets for smoke and it worked much better because the temperature could go lower.

I looked at those because my #3 male spawn (who claims when he drives down the street, all the smokers and grills bow down to him as he passes) kept telling me "You need to get yourself a good pellet grill Dad" but I bought a cheap traditional wood and charcoal smoker/grill combo for the same reason you aren't getting a Traeger, plus I'm old and old school and don't need or want a grill smoker that talks to you on your phone via bluetooth/wifi..

He has some kind of hi $ pellet thing, one of those big egg things, and a propane grill/griddle combo + all the crawfish boiling stuff.

plus I'm old and old school and don't need or want a grill smoker that talks to you on your phone via bluetooth/wifi..
I hear you on that. I don't need it to talk to me, just cook my food. 😂 I'm a K.I.S.S kind of guy. I can buy one of those pellet grills for under $300 at Walmart. I don't necessarily like shopping at Wally World, but in this day and age need to save as much as possible. Part of me says, don't do it, things are going to get worse before the end of the year.

Well I went and did it, I bought that Walmart cheapy; Pit Boss Lexington with meat probe. Going to smoke some beef back ribs on it for tonight. This is either turn out great or be a total train wreck; I've never done anything like this on the grill, mostly steaks and hamburgers.

Well I went and did it, I bought that Walmart cheapy; Pit Boss Lexington with meat probe. Going to smoke some beef back ribs on it for tonight. This is either turn out great or be a total train wreck; I've never done anything like this on the grill, mostly steaks and hamburgers.
Let us know what you think of it. I might be right behind you. Trying to talk myself into going to town today, but I might put it off until tomorrow

Let us know what you think of it. I might be right behind you. Trying to talk myself into going to town today, but I might put it off until tomorrow
The price was right, it was $291 US for the grill and one bag of pellets. Pretty easy to assemble, but I did have to take the barrow off because I had the handle on the wheel side. I guess I should paid better attention to the directions. 😂 I got that fixed this morning. Ran it up to 350 degrees for the initial burn. One thing I noticed is when putting the heat probe in you need to push it through the little whole they have for it first before inserting it into the meat, or one could just let the lid ride on top of the wire. It's got a metal braiding on it, so I don't think that would be a problem. The cable seems to be long enough to reach the far side of the grill.

While I was trying to rectify the handle issue my sister let my dog out, and spent more time chasing my dog down. Finally went about my business, got my bull in the corral where I wanted, and the grill flopped around. I let that silly dog run around, at least he didn't cross the cattleguard. A week ago or so he got out on the highway, I had several people stop to help me capture my dog, I was so mad I was read to get my gun, it's a good thing I didn't have it. I burned the weeds on the edge, and all the snow has melted. I don't know if he will cross it again, unless he figures out how to walk it. I went into the house to season my ribs, and then sat out on the stupe, and he came up to me; grabbed him and assured him into the house. Dang dog.

Well those ribs turned out ok. kind of overcooked them, but that is my fault, they cooked faster than what I thought and were ready before everything else.

It would have been nice if they had put a longer electrical cord on the grill, other than that I like the grill. Not sure what I am going to do next.

My propane bbq is wore out. Never was much good. I've been eyeballing the pellet grills and there appears to be a lot of variety / options. I'm convinced I would want the slider to be able to sear the meat over direct flame. Other than that I'm wondering about people's thoughts on them, what you like and don't like, best brands, etc. if I'm going to spend a bunch of money on one I would expect to have it for a long time so want to make sure I'm going in eyes wide open.
Built this one.
BEBF8BF7-535F-4273-B5FE-D82724A22B19.jpeg

Where did you buy the stand-alone pellet box and controller? Can you show us a picture of the inside also?
That's out of a scrap stainless steel commercial cooler I paid 50 bucks for.
I will have to see if I have any interior pictures, if not I will take some later.
Found one.

You can buy the pellet box and control unit separately I think I paid 350 for it.
9808467C-722B-4F6D-98F2-8A7A1019F778.jpeg

That's out of a scrap stainless steel commercial cooler I paid 50 bucks for.
I will have to see if I have any interior pictures, if not I will take some later.
I recognized the commercial cooler, I was more curious about where you got the controller and pellet hopper you attached to it. I have seen this done with stick burners but never a pellet controller.

Latest posts