Pellet Grills

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
My propane bbq is wore out. Never was much good. I've been eyeballing the pellet grills and there appears to be a lot of variety / options. I'm convinced I would want the slider to be able to sear the meat over direct flame. Other than that I'm wondering about people's thoughts on them, what you like and don't like, best brands, etc. if I'm going to spend a bunch of money on one I would expect to have it for a long time so want to make sure I'm going in eyes wide open.

I have a recteq rt700 and it is pretty nice. It used to take forever to get to higher temperatures. I would have it on for over 1.5 hours and it would be at 460-490.

I done some research and ended up swapping the auger motor out and it will hit 500 in 20 minutes now. It will also go well over that if I turn it to 'full' mode. I bought one of the early models back in 18' and they had the smaller auger motor but now they have the bigger one so no problems there.

With that being said, if I was buying one right now it would probably be a Yoder or something else similar. Not made in China and also I didn't care for recteqs customer service when it came to reaching high temperatures in a reasonable amount of time.

They gave me the run around and I had to fix it myself.

You're thinking well ahead Silver, with all that snow about. I suppose you will be looking for a new pair of budgie smugglers too ( for those that don't speak Stralian budgie smugglers are the brief Speedo swimmers. I think the term was coined a couple of decades ago when our PM Tony Abbot used to do some triathlons and was often photographed in his Speedo's with his budgie smuggled down the front or so it seemed.

Ken

I don't own a pellet grill, but I did seriously consider one a couple of years ago. I didn't like the searing ability on any of them so I opted to get a Napolean Phantom propane grill (Canadian Company ;) ) and still use my stick burner if I am smoking. The set-and-forget features of them would be really nice though. They may have improved on sear function in the last couple of years. Here are a couple of places I would start.
https://www.bbqguys.com/

https://www.atbbq.com/

I have a green mountain and it has been very good, it does not like to run high temps though. Its sweet spot is 225-350. It is also the basic model so it doesn't have the slider option you mentioned.

I agree with @chaded, if I was getting a new one today I would spend the extra and get a Yoder.

We have a Green Mountain Grill and we have had it for years. Only problem with it was operator error. Their customer service can't be beat. When I warped the firebox, they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked and no charge. They have upgraded them some after we bought ours and they sent us the upgrades. Again, no charge. It's just basic, no slider. We chose it over other brands because it got to 500 degrees and would sear.

We also have an outdoor griddle. It's fun to cook on. Fast and has great flavor. But you didn't ask about outdoor griddles. We got our cousin one to take camping because he does most of the cooking when we go. Ours came from Walmart, it is a Pioneer Expert Chef and I can't remember what the brand was that we bought our cousin. Neither were Blackstone and both work great. His is very portable. They use it all the time. FWIW.

We have a Green Mountain Grill and we have had it for years. Only problem with it was operator error. Their customer service can't be beat. When I warped the firebox, they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked and no charge. They have upgraded them some after we bought ours and they sent us the upgrades. Again, no charge. It's just basic, no slider. We chose it over other brands because it got to 500 degrees and would sear.
Edited to add: it's not made in USA or Canada...darn it.
We also have an outdoor griddle. It's fun to cook on. Fast and has great flavor. But you didn't ask about outdoor griddles. We got our cousin one to take camping because he does most of the cooking when we go. Ours came from Walmart, it is a Pioneer Expert Chef and I can't remember what the brand was that we bought our cousin. Neither were Blackstone and both work great. His is very portable. They use it all the time. FWIW.

Shew...I didn't realize you could spend so much on a gas grill. Serious machinery there.

I guess I'll be stringing my old weber along. About the only things that wear out are the gas burner tubes and flavorizer bars.
I got it on sale at a deep discount. At the time it was in the same price range as a Weber. So far, I have really liked it. I cook outside about 50% of the time year-round. So it gets lots of use.

Now, Silver has me looking at pellets again and my wife is not happy.

My prime complaint with my Weber is that any wind will blow out flames. Its been a windy winter and that has changed many dinner plans. Are there any grills that offer better wind protection?

Okay, mine is an old fashioned charcoal grill- nothing beats the flavor in my book. Check out pk grills. Had mine for 20 years, as a matter of fact, my granddad cooked on one 60 years ago. You can order any parts if necessary, I've never had to. Operates similar to a big green egg but way less money.

Latest posts