Pecan trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
When is the best time to plant Pecan trees? We have been talking about planting some for several years now and still haven't gotten it done. We've even considered spending big bucks and transplanting some larger trees. Patient? Not really!

We also have some Hickory trees that have been dropping nuts. Any suggestions on how to plant the nuts - do they need to set for a while or should they be planted immediately?

Call your county extention agent. From what I have read, it said December, January and February.

your best chance of success when transplanting any tree is late winter, for us this means August, for you I'll guess February.

Early spring and fall.....give lots of water.

If you transplant then make sure tree is dormant.

Good luck!

You probably already know this but pecans are a type of hickory tree. All hickories are hard to plant. If you buy a pecan tree in a container, you will find it should have a very deep pot. This is cause you need to plant it deep. Best way is to use your auger and dig a deep hole and put it in there with some good soil when the tree is dormant.

I can't remember exactly, but if I remember correctly and I was going to try to plant some native hickories, I'd collect the nuts now and place in a plastic bag and spray a little insecticide in the bag to kill any borers. I'd then bag it a couple more times and stick it in the fridge till early spring and plant the seed. If seedlings emerge, leave them be and prune out the undesirables since moving them will probably result in the death of the seedling. They do not like to be disturbed - I do remember this for sure. Good luck.

Fly-guy":2hndlmpl said:
When is the best time to plant Pecan trees? We have been talking about planting some for several years now and still haven't gotten it done. We've even considered spending big bucks and transplanting some larger trees. Patient? Not really!

We also have some Hickory trees that have been dropping nuts. Any suggestions on how to plant the nuts - do they need to set for a while or should they be planted immediately?

If you dont have any patience,have someone that knows how,graft a improved pecan like choctaw to your hickory trees ,Im told it works,no hickory around here so I planted 2 dozen of the Indian varieties and have several native trees along the creek.................good luck

Patients? I do have a "few" patients, the named cattle yes, the numbered cattle, well, the Lord is still working on that one. Thanks for the suggestion about grafting onto the Hickory trees. That just might work!

Fly-guy":2bvpr27y said:
Patients? I do have a "few" patients, the named cattle yes, the numbered cattle, well, the Lord is still working on that one. Thanks for the suggestion about grafting onto the Hickory trees. That just might work!

My parents had several grafted trees, but they were the bigger papershell variety grafted onto a native variety that makes small nuts with really think shells. The native variety is hardier, though and makes a good grafting tree. Pecan trees take a long time to grow.

Lammie":1z182474 said:
Fly-guy":1z182474 said:

My parents had several grafted trees, but they were the bigger papershell variety grafted onto a native variety that makes small nuts with really think shells. The native variety is hardier, though and makes a good grafting tree. Pecan trees take a long time to grow.

We have a couple of native pecans over at the pasture that would embarrass a woodpecker! They are a real tough nut to crack.

Squirells plant them year round here.Mow them down every spring, all over the yard. Don't know why it is but when planted by a squirell it's almost sure to grow, but when I plant one it's not a sure thing. If I could only get them trained to plant them where I want them.

Cal

Latest posts