Pearl

Help Support CattleToday:

History is not taught like it should be in schools anymore. Plus that generation is dying. I work I'm healthcare and I always ask WWII vets for a story. It makes their day and there is no better history than first person history.

yes. I was at my 93 year old moms house today and she started talking about that day. how it impacted everyones life and dad left for the army the next month.he was gone for 4 years.she could not believe no one mentioned it on tv or radio today. God bless our greatest generation

Had a Marine uncle made the beach landings at Guadalcanal, Iwo and Okinawa
Another uncle at the Marina Turkey Shoot, Dad was on the USS Pope North Atlantic in
the USS Guadalcanal Battle group and the uncle at Pearl the morning of Dec 7th 1941.

It is a shame we are not teaching or remembering our history.
In the two week battle for Iwo we had 25,000 casualties.
It is also not taught that Japanese officers beheaded more prisoner of war than we
killed with the bomb.
They had contest and the beheadings were published in the Jap newspapers.
China alone lost 14 million to war crimes committed by Japan.
China caught the worst of that. They also ate American POW's read about Chichi Jima.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_w ... annibalism

My grandfather was a messenger with the 4th Marine div. in the pacific. He made the landings on Tinian, Sipian, and was wounded on Iwo. The best history lessons I ever got was grading burley with him. I still miss him every day.

I show my kids a couple of youtube videos about Pearl Harbour every year on December 7th.

I have some old photo's of Pearl I think I have posted before, but when I find them in a minute I all post again.

My Dad was in the Military Secret Service at Blechley Park on the enigma codes. He could never tell us about it because of the secrecy act, our Aunty told us as he died before the 60 years was up, he told us he was on essential work which I suppose he was in a way. He was one clever man, he always told us he met Barnes Wallace and Mr Churchill but never said in what capacity I guess I will never know now.

The photo's I promised, my brother gave them to me they were developed from an old film not sure who it was that found it, but it is as the Japs were first hitting. kept good for a fifty year old film. there are to many for one post so will send them over in a few.

Dad served in WWII and Korea I still have the folded flag from his coffin on the mantel.
If a Honor Guard and Taps doesn't stir your soul I don't know what could.
I will never forget as his flag draped casket in the hearse travel 120 miles to it's final resting
place how many saluted along the way.

jedstivers":fct5dsb0 said:
I was disappointed that it wasn't mentioned in church today too.
My boys are 7and 9 and I was hoping something would be on tv tonight we could watch but might have to resort to YouTube.
It was noted at mass this morning that all 4 eucharistic ministers for the service were WWII survivors and one was a Pearl survivor. All are in fairly good health.

TexasBred":1ny54omd said:
jedstivers":1ny54omd said:
I was disappointed that it wasn't mentioned in church today too.
My boys are 7and 9 and I was hoping something would be on tv tonight we could watch but might have to resort to YouTube.
It was noted at mass this morning that all 4 eucharistic ministers for the service were WWII survivors and one was a Pearl survivor. All are in fairly good health.

We have one left at church was a WWII frogman the first Navy Seals.
His mind is sharp as a tack. He went in before the landings on Okinawa to set
charges on the reefs so landing craft could get through.

It is sad the public doesn't remember. I watched several football games today nothing mentioned. I watched the news tonight nothing they are to upset about Baylor being left out of the playoffs spent plenty of time on that.