Pearl Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":3kvte26y said:
You can graze the millet alone but never seen anyone try to graze the mix with the beans. I don't think the beans will regrow after grazed.
Mine have come back in the past.

I've got 20 acres that's fenced if I put the cows on for a few hours and pull them could I run 30 pairs all summer and need to cut hay or will they keep it in check?

Depends on how much rain you get, and how good the land is. Sorry it is kinda a smart alec answer but it is the only correct one. My guess is you will not have to cut hay on it, the 30 pairs will keep it down. If it seems to start growing too fast leave them on it longer or even let them have access all the time. You could probably even use ribbon and the step in fence posts to divide it up two or three ways and rotationally graze it, or save some of it for hay.

jscunn":224c9u49 said:
Depends on how much rain you get, and how good the land is. Sorry it is kinda a smart alec answer but it is the only correct one. My guess is you will not have to cut hay on it, the 30 pairs will keep it down. If it seems to start growing too fast leave them on it longer or even let them have access all the time. You could probably even use ribbon and the step in fence posts to divide it up two or three ways and rotationally graze it, or save some of it for hay.
Probably a must.

I want to cut some for hay and I didn't want to plant another patch and have more than i could cut. I'm gonna graze them on the 20 acres and plant another 10 for hay. Well that's my thoughts right now anyway.

:eek: We usually do good on rain so at 5 rolls to the acre and 2 to 3 cuttings (hopefully) I will probably need a bigger barn!

jscunn":2q79pt5a said:

Yea if it was shaped right you could practice your electric fencing prowess with them and it! :)

Latest posts