Pearl Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
Has anyone planted pearl millet? When would you plant it in south Alabama? How much would you put per acre? Also when would you fertilize it? Thanks.

I planted mine at 30lbs/ac in mid may. Make sure you are going to have moisture for germination. I would fertilize as soon as it germinates, and you should be able to graze it in a month.

Plant it like and when you would any haygrazer or soughum in your area.

As to planting rate...TAMU must have gotten some stimulus money to change their website to make it totaly useless till I figure where they hid everything... irritatingly :mad: ... but best recollection on recommendations is 12 -20 lbs drilled to 1/2 - 1 inch deep April - June in a prepared seedbed. Fertilzer to soil test recommendations prior to planting.

Search "pearl millet" and you will find plenty information...

Supposed to have another planting chart bookmarked somewhere and can't find it either. My bookmarks really do need some housecleaning attention. :p

From what I've read on the internet I need to plant around the first of May. Using a drill they said I should use 15# to the acre and broadcasting 23# to the acre. That sound about right?

I'm thinking about doing some for hay and some for grazing. Will the common be fine to roll for hay? Sizmic how much hay did yall get off that field? How big of a field is it?

65 tons at 50% water on 15 acres. I like the dwarf stuff for hay, same amount of leaves with a lot less stem, tillers out good too.

Sizmic

Should also say we got a second cutting off the millet before it got too cold, made 20 of those same bales after a good 18-46-50 spred of fertilizer.

Sizmic

Never let any dry down so I'm not sure. 1 1/2 days for haylage. Cut with a conditioner. If you do everything by the book I'd say atleast 3 days of good drying: conditioning, tedding and curing.

Sizmic

I don't have a conditioner. No one around here has one either. I have a disc mower and a tedder. I've read that it will take forever to dry. Do you store yours in a barn or outside?

I put ours up as haylage, wrapped in plastic, outside. I would think it would be similar to sudex or sudan in dry down time. Dwarf type seems to ensile better than the common type due to compactness of the plant.

Sizmic

circlew":hu12gcpk said:
How long does it take the millet to dry if you cut it for hay?
No set answer on that. It is weather, density of stand, height of stand, how wet the ground is, temp, was it cut with a conditioner....and so on.

Generally 5 - 6 days with July temps.

1982vett":1lf9isdj said:
circlew":1lf9isdj said:
How long does it take the millet to dry if you cut it for hay?
No set answer on that. It is weather, density of stand, height of stand, how wet the ground is, temp, was it cut with a conditioner....and so on.

Generally 5 - 6 days with July temps.
:nod: :nod: