Pearl Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The boss got it planted the first of May. We turned weaned heifers out on it last Friday.

We have it planted here at the home place as well but it wasn't planted until the 19th of May, and we haven't had time to get it fertilized yet. The boss plans to get it fertilized this week then move the weaned Bulls over to start grazing it next week.

I sure love the grow you can get on calves with this grass.

Gizmom

Sky

That is a good problem to have! In our part of the country we get lots of grass but quality can be an issue. The pearl works really well for growing calves out. The older cattle have to make duewith Bahia grass but they do just fine on it, in fact they will get pig fat by the end of summer.

Gizmom

GM,
Planted ours on the 16th of May, hadn't turned out on it yet mostly due to the "drought" we are having.. :eek: . (For everyone not living in Molino it has rained about 10 days straight here) . We plan on planting another field with Pearl and Brown Top as soon as we can. We plan on fencing off the brown top and cutting it for hay. (Wrapping the bales) I hope this works.

You are 100% right about growing calves on millet, not much better for us on the gulf coast.

gizmom":14q64mtd said:
Sky

That is a good problem to have! In our part of the country we get lots of grass but quality can be an issue. The pearl works really well for growing calves out. The older cattle have to make duewith Bahia grass but they do just fine on it, in fact they will get pig fat by the end of summer.

Gizmom

Yes it is GIZ... However, It can be a pain sometimes :lol: A lot of local folks that stopped farming have pasture land that they have this year given to me to cut and maintain it in exchange for hay. I picked up quite a bit this year.

Jscunn

Do you have a contact for wrapping? We have talked about it but that has been as far as we have gone with it as yet. I hear planting Sudan to cut for balage also makes good feed but have 0 experience with that. Your thoughts?

Sky it sounds like your going to be mighty busy in the hay fields this year. Do you round bale everything or do you square bale as well? Also do you wrap any for balage?

Gizmom

gizmom":mm7p09je said:
Sky it sounds like your going to be mighty busy in the hay fields this year. Do you round bale everything or do you square bale as well? Also do you wrap any for balage?

Gizmom

Yes I have a local custom hay guy that we do a 50/50 split on the hay usually but this rain hes way behind and I gotta help him get caught up. we do both square and round I sell 2/3 of my hay or it would sit and rot outside and go to waste. No I do not do any balage currently may try some sometime. My hay usage has been cut by atleast half in the last 2 years between managing stockpile to brewers grain and corn silage.

GM,
Dad knows who he wants to use but I dont know their name. We went last year and looked at another neighbors millet that was bale wrapped by these guys. We are only in the discussion stage right now too, but we lost a big hayfield this summer so we need to do something.

As far as sudan grass, we talked to libby and she said our best option was brown top millet. I wanted to try sudan or something new if it was a better option. I personally didnt want to have to wrap bales but this seems to be the best option in our situation.

Latest posts