Pearl Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

chronic

Reaction score
Broadcast toward end of May, little moisture until early June when it germinated and began to grow. Weeds had a head start by far. Anyway, here is a picture or two, if I can swing it.

Well that was easier that I thought it would be. I planted two acres of the above millet, I mowed half of it, I am pretty sure on the 4th of July, it grew back, I mowed some more the 1st part of August, just kind of cutting some pathways through the tall stuff and the shorter stuff. It all regrows so far and it rained a half an inch last night. I have two head of cattle that have been grazing it since probably June 15th. I just let them go where they want. Good moisture this summer or else I am sure this would have been a failure. Here is my herd. My heifer is pregnant, due the end of November I hope. The little bull was born this past Christmas. They are unrelated. The tips of his ears got frozen after he was born, but, they were able to save him and I think he is a nice little bull?

The volunteer sunflowers in the background remind me of Kansas.

Where are you from?

I hate pearl millet or any of the others of the same type. I planted pearl in a wildlife area for quail, etc. Made the mistake of letting it head out. Now the crap has invaded the hay field and pasture on either side of the wildlife area. Once it starts to head the cows won;t tough it. If it has a head they won;t eat it as hay either. But then, our cows will pass up just about anything to eat fescue. If given half a chance they will break out of a WSG field with lots of clover to get into a fescue hay field.

That is interesting dun, I let it head out for two main reasons, which was I want to go around and cut the heads of when they are mature and put them out on my back patio this fall and winter and watch all the birds feed on them and I wanted to create a good place for my grandson to shoot doves this fall. I think I succeeded. Maybe I created a monster, but, in a typical western Kansas year, I doubt it it gets to far out of bounds as far as coming up volunteer. As far as the cattle eating, they don't know any better I guess, cause they are eating it up, when they come to the taller stalks with heads on them I see them just kind of leaning the plant down and eating the leaves off the stem. They don't seem to be eating the head. That's for the birds.

chronic":2npbbhxx said:
That is interesting dun, I let it head out for two main reasons, which was I want to go around and cut the heads of when they are mature and put them out on my back patio this fall and winter and watch all the birds feed on them and I wanted to create a good place for my grandson to shoot doves this fall. I think I succeeded. Maybe I created a monster, but, in a typical western Kansas year, I doubt it it gets to far out of bounds as far as coming up volunteer. As far as the cattle eating, they don't know any better I guess, cause they are eating it up, when they come to the taller stalks with heads on them I see them just kind of leaning the plant down and eating the leaves off the stem. They don't seem to be eating the head. That's for the birds.
I don;t know how it spread so far. The first year there was a little along the edges, the next year a little further. Now after 4 years it's all over the place.

I was hoping to get a few comments in agreement with me about what a handsome bull I have! :wave:

Latest posts