Pearl Millet (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
This time of year is crazy, went from scared to put calves on it, because it was too small, to put every availible calf on it to control it in one week.. Here are some pics.
Turned 26 weaned steers and heifers on it on June 25th (6 acres)
July 11th
DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

001_011.jpg

And now today..

021_07212011.jpg

This picture was taken on the most eaten patch in the field, right next to the water trough.

Great pics. I attempted to plant some pearl millet this year . I got a inch of rain on it and it sprouted.2 months went by with no rain. About a month ago I got 2 inches and the next 3 weeks I got an inch a week . I turned the cows in the pasture with the millet about 6 weeks ago so they could eat what they could find .. I went out and looked at it today and the millet is 18 inches tall . It's 40 acres and 20 pairs have been on it the whole time. The only fertilizer I put out was when I planted it . I'll defiantly plant it again next year.

Jogee...if I remember correctly that was planted around the middle of May. Well past time for the first cut when the pictures were taken. Even with the heading out and thinning from plants that did die it held on for one cut and then some fall grazing. Started raining in September in 2009 and didn't let up till January.

Seems to me if you don't cut it and it begins heading it just goes to $hit but if you cut it and give it a little juice it will stay with you. Its wonderful stuff for sure.

Haygrazer is pretty tolerant too...Feller dry planted some behind his oats as usual...seed sat in the ground over a month before he got a 1 3/4 inch rain that brought it up...over the next 42 days it withered away till you would have figured it was gone. Got another 2 inches and it greened back up. It's been 31 days since that rain so it looks about like the stuff in my first photo again.

Got my millet and beans haylage up today! Cut it early this year in hopes of getting a little more rain and more cuttings. Its already grown back 4" in 2 days. I have been using the dwarf stuff from Southern States Co-op. I planted some normal millet in a small patch with the rest of it to see the differnce. The normal millet was taller at cutting, but it hasn't grown back any, unlike the dwarf stuff. I really should put some in a rotational pasture, just haven't got a place to do that yet. Looks like it works well!

And, Jscunn, you can send that last heifer to my place if you run out of room for her. I bet she's got some Connection in her somewhere.

Sizmic

sizmic":35zuu2ab said:
Got my millet and beans haylage up today! Cut it early this year in hopes of getting a little more rain and more cuttings. Its already grown back 4" in 2 days. I have been using the dwarf stuff from Southern States Co-op. I planted some normal millet in a small patch with the rest of it to see the differnce. The normal millet was taller at cutting, but it hasn't grown back any, unlike the dwarf stuff. I really should put some in a rotational pasture, just haven't got a place to do that yet. Looks like it works well!

And, Jscunn, you can send that last heifer to my place if you run out of room for her. I bet she's got some Connection in her somewhere.

Sizmic
What is "normal" millet? For instance, German Millet doesn't regrow...

1982vett":g986o3en said:
sizmic":g986o3en said:

Sizmic
What is "normal" millet? For instance, German Millet doesn't regrow...
most likely brown top millet .

I guess I should've been more specific, normal pearl millet, not dwarf pearl millet.

Sizmic

Next year I plan on trying to find some BMR Pearl Millet. Could anyone suggest where I might find it?

Sizmic

Sizmic,
Correct, her dam is a SAF Connection daughter. You can have her, halter broke and docile, but..... I am gonna need a place to sleep too. She is my son's, so if I sell/give her up I am gonna need a good divorce lawyer too.. :)

sizmic":2bvw44lx said:
Next year I plan on trying to find some BMR Pearl Millet. Could anyone suggest where I might find it?

Sizmic
I order mine at the feed store . It was around 35 a bag this year . Pennington seed has it but its high .

What type of soil does the pearl millet do best in? Would it do well in lowland where it stays wet, or does to much moisture cause problems?

should pearl millet be planted by it,s self or can you plant rye, and pasture mix with it? i plant rye for winter green for my cows.
iowa52

Latest posts