Patty's toe

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Several years back Rufus the dog got some sort of weird infection in a toe. After the wife and the vet tried everything they could think of the toe got cut off. End of problem. So late in the day last Wednesday Patty started running around on 3 legs. We searched all over that leg and foot. The outside toe on her front right foot was real sore and she wouldn't let us examine it. My million MPH dog was slowed to 999,000 MPH. Took her to the vet today. Turns out that the bone in that toe is broke into little pieces. The cure. Off with the toe. We have 2 dogs. They will both be missing a toe. I think we have to change the name of the place to Three Toe Dog Ranch.

Several years back Rufus the dog got some sort of weird infection in a toe. After the wife and the vet tried everything they could think of the toe got cut off. End of problem. So late in the day last Wednesday Patty started running around on 3 legs. We searched all over that leg and foot. The outside toe on her front right foot was real sore and she wouldn't let us examine it. My million MPH dog was slowed to 999,000 MPH. Took her to the vet today. Turns out that the bone in that toe is broke into little pieces. The cure. Off with the toe. We have 2 dogs. They will both be missing a toe. I think we have to change the name of the place to Three Toe Dog Ranch.
That sure would get a few double looks.

It is a good thing that she is a real good dog and I like her. $866 to remove a toe. A lesser dog might have got a trip to the happy hunting grounds.

Any idea how her toe got broken ?
Not a clue. She went with me to do the afternoon calf check. She was fine. The wife was out tending to her chickens and she took the dogs for a walk up the field. When she came back Patty was walking on 3 legs. We figured she had stepped on a thorn some how. Couldn't find anything. I thought she would get over it. 5 days later she was still walking on 3 legs.

Patty got her stitches out on Tuesday. The vet said she looked good but should be on light duty for another week. She is taking advantage of this poor dog needs to stay in the house thing. She is in for a rude awakening when she gets kicked outside and has to sleep in the kennel at night.

P3133206 - Copy.JPG

It is usually hard to put a Border Collie on "light duty". But Patty seems to be adapting okay. :)

Went to a winery with my brother in Washington or Idaho , can't remember which . Anyway it had a brand called 3 legged dog . As we were leaving the parking lot there was a blue heeler lying in the shade . I told my brother I bet that's it . I whistled at it and it stood up . Yep , 3 legs .

Latest posts