Split & Bleeding Toe Nail?

Help Support CattleToday:

Davexx1

Reaction score
My YBMC cow dog has a split, bleeding, and painful middle toe nail. Not sure how it happened as he is kenneled on concrete most of the time. Toe nails are longer than ideal and is most likely part of the problem. The toe nail is split along one side most of the way back to the nail bed. It is obviously very sore and painful. He won't let you touch it but I have been submerging the foot in a cup of hydrogen peroxide several times a day to help keep it clean and also applying an antibiotic salve to hopefully reduce the chance of infection. I thought about trying to put a drop of superglue across the split to help stabilize the split off piece of the nail in hopes that would help it begin to heal up on its own. Anyone have experience or knowledge of this kind of injury or treatment suggestions?

Thanks, Davexx1

It is usually half off the bone, get a pair of pliers and grip the tip firmly and give it a twist and a sharp pull and most should come off. If you are quick and decisive they won't react much. Soaking it in nice purple potassium permanganate solution is good afterwards. I have done a few in my time.

Ken

Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of that "procedure". That sounds very painful. The slice of nail that split away from the main part of the nail has somewhat reattached itself but is still very sore. We are keeping it clean and treated and it should grow out and fix itself. Our vet is close by if needed.

Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of that "procedure". That sounds very painful. The slice of nail that split away from the main part of the nail has somewhat reattached itself but is still very sore. We are keeping it clean and treated and it should grow out and fix itself. Our vet is close by if needed.
The key is to be committed, grab hold well and speed plus the twisting. Just like taking a bandaid off.. In my experience they never reattach, the leverage of the nail makes them very painfull. If you leave it long enough it will grow out and get caught up and get pulled off for you but a lot of discomfort in the meantime. If you are not game to give it a go then go visit your vet, most will anaesthetise them to do it and make a big job of it, I rarely did, probably why I'm not well off now.

Ken

To follow up on my dogs split nail problem, it was not getting any better so I took in to my vet. He did anesthetize the dog and then snipped the entire nail and nail bed off back to the toe. After a week, the foot is still very sore, dog limping around, etc. Hopefully he will heal up OK. Thanks for all replies.