Patsy Cline - Neighbor's Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

CUZ

Reaction score
About the middle of May the neighbor's got up their cows (with three wheelers and motorcycles I suspect) and one of their cows came across the river that separates our places. (The river is only about calf deep and 40' wide down on that end and the fence is more often washed out than up.) We found her with our cows the next day, called the guy to see if he was missing a cow and he said he knew.
For the first week or so whenever she saw us she'd throw up her head and take off. We began to call her Patsy Cline (Crazy). javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile
Well it's been a shade over two months now and as far as we can tell the neighbor has never once come over to fetch his cow. She's really not costing us anything except eating a little grass and what she licks off the mineral block, but we're beginning to wonder if he ever wants her back.
Any ideas? Suggestions? javascript:emoticon(':help:')
Help

Send him a bill with a notice of lien. He will come get the calf real quick.

(Edited to agree with Alabama and Alan, Crude I suck, and DoubleK, right under me. Sometimes my smart*ss gene takes over.)

You know what just ignore whatever I say. Without a doubt they are correct!

You may try calling him and ask if he forgot the crider was over at your place. Like I always say " Try to be nice as long as you can" Remember that you still have to live next to this guy when it is over a settled.

alabama":3tstsk0s said:
You may try calling him and ask if he forgot the crider was over at your place. Like I always say " Try to be nice as long as you can" Remember that you still have to live next to this guy when it is over a settled.

Just to add to the post, you may need to go to them with your hat in hand one day. Neighbors that get along are much better then bad neighbors. Give him a call to see what is going on.

Alan

CUZ":2pi7li94 said:
About the middle of May the neighbor's got up their cows (with three wheelers and motorcycles I suspect) and one of their cows came across the river that separates our places. (The river is only about calf deep and 40' wide down on that end and the fence is more often washed out than up.) We found her with our cows the next day, called the guy to see if he was missing a cow and he said he knew.
For the first week or so whenever she saw us she'd throw up her head and take off. We began to call her Patsy Cline (Crazy). javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile
Well it's been a shade over two months now and as far as we can tell the neighbor has never once come over to fetch his cow. She's really not costing us anything except eating a little grass and what she licks off the mineral block, but we're beginning to wonder if he ever wants her back.
Help

Hello Cuz

Any way to catch the beast without disrupting your cattle?

If so, that may the best solution. Get er up, load er up, and take er home.

Then you can look him in the eye with no regrets.

Dub

DoubleK,

She's still as nervous as a cat if we get within 10' of her. She did come into the pen the last time we got that bunch up, but she kept working her way to the back side of the bunch. Rather than let her get everybody all worked up and tear up half the world we decided to ignore her and see if she would continue to calm down.
Plus if she's going to beat herself up in a trailer, I'd rather it be his and not mine.

Well next time you get your cows up try to get only your cows up and then open all the gates that seperates you from your neighbor and just run her back.
Sam

I have no idea where this post came from. It just popped up when I edited my post above to say I was an idiot.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":drf6kvx2 said:
Shoot, shovel, shutup. Course the notice of lien would be nice to.

:x :( This is a cow that isn't hurting anything, not some killer dog.

KenB":3dbsxs2p said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3dbsxs2p said:
Shoot, shovel, shutup. Course the notice of lien would be nice to.

:x :( This is a cow that isn't hurting anything, not some killer dog.

The shoot, shovel, shutup might be a little harsh. But there could be some serious consequences to having that cow in with their herd. Especially if she is as nervous as CUZ says, that could lead to damaged pens, fence and other property. Plus the diseases that could be brought in. There is definantly a big chance of her hurting someone or the property or other cattle.

CUZ,
Good look in getting her out of there. Hope everything works out okay.

Ryan

This is part of what Cuz originally posted...

Any ideas? Suggestions? javascript:emoticon('')
Help

That is why I implied that she wasn't hurting anything.
I agree that I wouldn't want someone elses cow in my pasture,
but she has been there for two months so the contamination has already happened if it is going to happen.

Just load her up and take her home. You willl be rid of her and the neighbor wont have any hard feelings. Their could be some reason not evident that is preventing them from retrieving the animal.

Had a similiar experience with neighbors that our families had been across the fence for over 100 years. They always complained instantly when our bull got into their pasture. Even went as far as turning him out on the public road. I decided that I was going to end that 100 year fued. The next time his bull got in our place I did'nt even call him. I knew he would miss the bull before very long. The bull had plenty of grass and water and was not hurting anything. After 2 weeks he missed the bull and came apologizing. I simply told him that bulls will be bulls and he wasn't hurting anything. The next time one of my cows got in his place, instead of calling and giving me a cussing, he loaded the cow on his trailer and called to see if it would be ok if he hauled her back to me...Thus ended the 100 year fued. That was 15 years ago and we have no more problems. Sometimes you can kill them KINDNESS!!!

My brother and his neighbor had a deal. If one or the other's bull got on the other's place twice, that bull went to the sale. Depending on who sold the errant bull, the other would call and relay the info that a check from the sale barn would soon be in the mail to the errant bull's owner. My brother and his neighbor are good friends to this day.

Alice

CUZ":1g0qn7dp said:
Smile
Help
I say load her and drop her off inside their gate. If it becomes a chronic problem then you can start being a pain in their side. I've been very fortunate and have only had problems with one neighbor bull. I drove him back through the hole in the fence that he made twice and called the neighbor once. They moved him to another location.

Load her up, carry her to the sale. Sell her in his name and tell them to mail him the check.If she is that wild she aint worth keeping.

go with what Tod said, next time she's up close the gate, load her up take her over to their place dump her where they want if they are home, or IN A LOT or other ENCLOSED area around their yard if they aren't home so that she doesn't come back for another visit. Lot easier to be friendly incase you need a favor returned later on.

If you can do it with out injury to her or yourself push her back across to her own pasture. If that does not work call and remind your neighbor that she is there and set up a time to meet and both of you either get her to a set of pens or back into the right pasture. My family has always tried to make sure that we keep a eye out for our neighbors critters in our herd and watching to see if our critter have gone visiting. Which happens alot when you are running cows and calves and the neighbors are running yearling pasture cattle(usually a mix of heifers and steers). Being a good neighbor can and will payoff when you need help or anything else. And with that I wll get off the soap box and get back to work.

Latest posts