Pasture sprayer

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
does tsc sell a good pasture sprayer? To spray 20 acres what size tank should I get and are they pto driven? Thanks.

What are you spraying? Do you want booms or going boomless? tank size depends on what you pulling or carring the sprayer with. Assuming you are spraying close to 10 gallons per acre a 200 gallon tank would let you make on trip out. Maybe 100 or 300 gallons would work better for you. I would think TSC would be pto driven. It all depends how accurate you want to achieve.

Jeff

I will be using a 65 hp tractor, 3 poing hitch and spraying hayfields averaging 10 15 acres in size each. The barn is accessible from all fields for refilling. I don't have much experience with spraying.

rc":lndlxh1n said:
I will be using a 65 hp tractor, 3 poing hitch and spraying hayfields averaging 10 15 acres in size each. The barn is accessible from all fields for refilling. I don't have much experience with spraying.
I'd recommend at least a 200 gal. tank for 10 - 15 acre patches. For a 65 hp. tractor, that kind of leaves the 3 points out due to weight of 200 gal of water.

I am sure you can find a 200 gal on a small trailer that can be ran by PTO or Hydraulic power. I have a wylie 500 gal on a trailer that is hydraulic power, it is just some cluster nozzles that spray out. Boom sprayers give you better coverage, but at the size of your fields a cluster nozzle would do fine.

You can build a better one than you buy cheaper, pick up a 300 gallon tote and mount on a small two wheel trailer.
Then you can buy the hoses pto pump and type sprayer head you need or want boom or boomless.

Caustic I had wondered about doing just that. I have a small trailer already and access at work to tanks. What kind of pto pump should I look at? TSC?

I replaced the froze up roller pump on my sprayer this spring with an PTO driven Ace centrifugul pump from Dultmeier Sales. No more rollers to worry about wearing out either. Their tech sales guys are really helpful in guiding you through your decisions too and their prices are the cheapest I have found so far. http://www.dultmeier.com I have a 200 gallon, 27 foot boom sprayer that I use on the pastures. You might also keep an eye out at farm sales, used sprayers usually don't bring much money there; you have to assume the pump will need replacing on them.

rc":3ueykovo said:
Caustic I had wondered about doing just that. I have a small trailer already and access at work to tanks. What kind of pto pump should I look at? TSC?

Depends on the sprayer you pick boomless versus boom. You have to match pump to capacity of spray nozzles to correct operating pressure, I prefer the boomless. With as many trees as I have in pastures if the tractor and trailer fit I don't have to worry about hanging the boom. I went to boomless after I hung a boom type and it looked like an explosion in a steel wool factory. I currently have two roller bearing pto driven pumps a 6 roller and an 8. I also hooked up a hand held spray nozzle with block vavles to cut the boomless off. I did this to spray Chinese Tallow trees.

I just sold a 200 gallon one from tsc. My tractor is 69 hp and I could fill the tank and spray . The reason I got rid of it was because it had the long booms and they were aggravating . The thing used a bunch of little spray nozzles that were expensive and always breaking win I folded the booms up to transport. The next one I have will be boomless.

I have a 75 hp and use a 100 gallon 20 foot boom sprayer that I have calibrated for 5 mph at 20 gallons per acre.

1982vett":1tq4f236 said:
rc":1tq4f236 said:
I'd recommend at least a 200 gal. tank for 10 - 15 acre patches.
For a 65 hp. tractor, that kind of leaves the 3 points out due to weight of 200 gal of water

200 gal. will weigh about 1600 lb. that should be no problem for a 65 hp tractor on the 3 point hitch.

I have a 120 gal. reddick sprayer with booms and a gun with lots of hose. I pull it with a 35 hp hydrostat JD. I wish it was 200 Gal.

KenB":1wwtt6ij said:
1982vett":1wwtt6ij said:
rc":1wwtt6ij said:
I'd recommend at least a 200 gal. tank for 10 - 15 acre patches.
For a 65 hp. tractor, that kind of leaves the 3 points out due to weight of 200 gal of water

200 gal. will weigh about 1600 lb. that should be no problem for a 65 hp tractor on the 3 point hitch.
Those words "kind of" are in their for a reason. Didn't say it couldn't handle it. Just trying to suggest that a pull type might be a better option, expecially if you have a lot of acres to cover. Starting out with 16-1800 lbs of weight on a 3 point hitch, on rough and hilly terrain trying to keep gound speed around 5 mph... still recommending a pull type.