Pasture, Rangeland, Forage insurance USDA

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the program at all. I believe I'm too late to insure for 2019. Asked my insurance guy, and he didn't seem to know anything. The huge grid your evaluated by confuses me as well. I made almost no hay this summer. My brother lives exactly 5 miles down the road, and made 3 cuttings. I assume if I'd had insurance, it would have paid nothing. Anybody got any details?

You need to have an agent explain the way it works to you Bigfoot. Each month is assigned an adverage based on historical data from NOAA. You have to pick 2 months and they can't overlap. It doesn't matter if it rains it matters how much it rains. Pasture was $6 per acre and hay fields were $30 per acre. Around here November is your money month, but the question is do you pick October or December to go with it. Your payout is based on a sliding scale that's really confusing. Made money 3 years in a row and we've had record rain fall, I don't have any idea how.

I'm sure the cost probably varies on the productivity of the land insured? $6 for pasture sounds like a number I could afford.......assuming it pays on the loss. The $30 for hay sounds really expensive........if it paid well enough to replace my hay crop, then it'd be cheap.

Off the top of my head, I'd pick August as at least one of my months. If it's based on rainfall during August, we don't get any to speak of. Probably wouldn't pay then.

Also, the lay of the land is my worst enemy. The wrong rain runs off, and the right rain soaks in. Although welcome, a rain in the heat of summer, usually ends up in a creek, and not the soil.

You do not want to pick your driest months. That's looking at things backwards. The grid part is easy to figure out once you see the map.

True Grit Farms said:
You do not want to pick your driest months. That's looking at things backwards. The grid part is easy to figure out once you see the map.

Thanks.

Bigfoot said:
I'm not familiar with the program at all. I believe I'm too late to insure for 2019. Asked my insurance guy, and he didn't seem to know anything. The huge grid your evaluated by confuses me as well. I made almost no hay this summer. My brother lives exactly 5 miles down the road, and made 3 cuttings. I assume if I'd had insurance, it would have paid nothing. Anybody got any details?

Here's a 4 page discussion we had on it last year. Maybe it will help you somewhat.
https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=116722

JMJ Farms said:
Bigfoot said:

Here's a 4 page discussion we had on it last year. Maybe it will help you somewhat.

I was told we need to be in the bee business, and buy insurance for the whole year. Why bee's come under forage and pasture is beyond me.

True Grit Farms said:
JMJ Farms said:
Bigfoot said:

I was told we need to be in the bee business, and buy insurance for the whole year. Why bee's come under forage and pasture is beyond me.

I don't know either. But I will do a little
digging and see what I can come up with.

JMJ Farms said:
Bigfoot said:

Missed that one, when it came through. Welfare police showed up on it.

Latest posts