Pasture/Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Baytown?
A niece of mine lives in Baytown and she says they do have some street flooding.. A tornado has been reported in Mont Belview at 5:14 or 7 miles NE of Baytown moving East at 20mph. That would take it toward Cove/Winfree i believe..probably already there..

My own area has had steady rain almost non-stop with heavy rain interspersed, but not terribly hard like it was in the predawn hours. My rain gage shows 8".

River on the edge of my property will be coming up.

Summary
...The National Weather Service in Houston/Galveston has issued a flood warning
for the following rivers...

East Fork San Jacinto near New Caney affecting the following counties in
Texas...Harris...Liberty...Montgomery

For East Fork San Jacinto River at New Caney, Moderate flooding is forecasted.

The National Weather Service in Houston/Galveston has issued a

* Flood Warning for
The East Fork San Jacinto near New Caney.
* from this evening to Monday evening or until the warning is canceled.
* At 0340 PM Wednesday the stage was 55.5 feet.
* Moderate flooding is forecast.
* Flood stage is 58.0 feet.
* Forecast...Rise above flood stage by tonight and continue to rise to near 63.1
feet by Friday morning. The river will fall below flood stage by late Monday
morning.

The river crested at 81.5' during Harvey.
(measurments for that gage is "above mean sea level". )

It will just be a moderate flood here unless something really unexpected happens.

Maybe I spoke just a little prematurely.....no cow on no flat rock ever peed this hard..

FLASH FLOOD WARNING ISSUED: 7:20 AM SEP. 19, 2019 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
The National Weather Service in League City has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Southeastern Montgomery County in southeastern Texas...
West central Liberty County in southeastern Texas...
Northern Harris County in southeastern Texas...

* Until 415 AM CDT.

* At 218 AM CDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
heavy rain across the warned area. Three to six inches of rain
have fallen with rainfall rates up to four inches an hour. Flash
flooding is expected to begin shortly.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Cleveland, Splendora, Patton Village, Roman Forest, Woodbranch,
Plum Grove, Kenefick, Dayton Lakes, Tarkington Prairie, Porter and
New Caney.

Additional rainfall amounts of two to four are possible in the
warned area.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don't drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the
dangers of flooding.

Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause flooding of small
creeks and streams, country roads, farmland, and other low lying
spots.

&&

RIVER FLOOD WARNING
ISSUED: 8:48 PM SEP. 18, 2019 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
The National Weather Service in Houston/Galveston has issued a

* Flood Warning for
The East Fork San Jacinto near New Caney.
* from this evening to Monday evening or until the warning is canceled.
* At 0340 PM Wednesday the stage was 55.5 feet.
* Moderate flooding is forecast.
* Flood stage is 58.0 feet.
* Forecast...Rise above flood stage by tonight and continue to rise to near 63.1
feet by Friday morning. The river will fall below flood stage by late Monday
morning.

Coastal areas in bad shape. Winnie hospital has been evacuated.

.THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 715 AM CDT FOR
NORTHEASTERN CHAMBERS AND SOUTHEASTERN LIBERTY COUNTIES...

At 319 AM CDT, emergency management reported flash flooding across
portions of southeastern Liberty County and northeastern Chambers
County. Significant flooding has been reported in Winnie with water
in homes and businesses. The Riceland Hospital has been evacuated.
The I-10 frontage road at Highway 124 and all roads north and east
of FM 1410 and FM 1941 are closed and unsafe to travel.
Life-threatening amounts of rainfall has fallen and additional
rainfall is expected in the warned area.

THIS IS A FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR SOUTHEASTERN LIBERTY AND
NORTHEASTERN CHAMBERS COUNTIES! THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS
SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!

Raining right on the tip end of the big rain band right now flowing in to y'all. So I was wrong about not going to get anything from it but it looks like it's already finished.

Next week this map should look a lot different. Wonder why they keep tabs on lack of rain but not on to much rain.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:
Keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't had any measurable rain since early July. Gonna put out hay next week IF we don't get any rain out of this .

I hope for y'all.
Watching radar today looks like it has moved farther east than earlier predictions.
Yep. Just watched weather. Still have chances for rain but mostly likely only in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range. At least the cloudy skies and cooler weather are a break from the heat. Coastal areas are drowning in a years worth of rain in only a few days. Prayers for all

TexasBred said:
Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:
Keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't had any measurable rain since early July. Gonna put out hay next week IF we don't get any rain out of this .

I hope for y'all.
Watching radar today looks like it has moved farther east than earlier predictions.
Yep. Just watched weather. Still have chances for rain but mostly likely only in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range. At least the cloudy skies and cooler weather are a break from the heat. Coastal areas are drowning in a years worth of rain in only a few days. Prayers for all

Hamshire-Fannett area reported 43" in 48 hours. That country just doesn't drain well the elevation falls about a foot every mile.

Houston flooding must be worse than I thought, my oldest flight was diverted to Corpus earlier today.

Local media is constant coverage of the Winnie area.

Latest radar showing some thunderstorms on the I-35 corridor.

The radar imagery is quite unusual right now. Normal circulation looks to be getting all twisted up on itself and ripping itself apart with no where to go. The little wind we have had is now out of the ESE. Lots of showers popping up behind. Some heading northward and some southward.

How much total rain we had since just after midnight Thursday morning thru this afternoon.

Looked like this Thursday around 10am:

sassafras manor said:
We are so wet in central Illinois that I am feeding hay in sacrifice areas to keep the cows from muddying up the pastures. Our lawn grass is growing faster than I can mow it between showers. My son has only played 2 of his 7 scheduled baseball games because of rain outs.

You folks across the midwest have had a heck of a year. I watch a couple of weather channels on Dish (214-215) when I come in at noon and daily (almost) are severe thunderstorms rolling across the area.

We have been hot for this time of year in this area. 90's most days which is just not normal for this area close to the mountains. Have been a few sporadic showers here and there. I was raking sorghum-sudan on Thursday and it clouded up and looked like it might go and ruin it to where I would have to tedd it all out again. Got about 20 drops and it stayed south and headed east. Got a hard shower 5 miles south. Don't think it was but a few tenths. Got it all baled Friday and it produced more than we thought. 78 rolls off 10-11 acres and nearly 70 off a slightly smaller piece. Sat was hot again but possibility of showers. Turned black skies, winds got up, just barely had time to run out and get laundry off the line & in the house, ran out to put up truck windows and sat there for about 20 min of pouring blowing rain, thunder and all. Got just shy of 1/2 inch. Reports were they got hail bigger than quarters an hour south. About 15 days since previous pop up shower of .6 and 3 weeks since the previous rain. It is not normal for us to go more than 5-7 days between rain so it has been something for the records. That wouldn't be so bad, but the temps in the 90's has really been the hardest as we are just not used to that. No dew much at night either.

I am thankful for the shower we got yesterday, possibility of more the next 2 days, then some sun again. Overall, been a decent year for us making hay except this late hay is dry and crunchy and don't know if we will get much more.

I am hauling water to one place to supplement the spring that is very low.

Latest posts