Pasture/Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Anybody pastures need rain or am I the only one. Anybody feeding hay already. I'm debating on letting mine in on my hay pasture pretty soon. Pasture cows are on now needs some rain badly I'm kinda nervous.

Yes pastures are getting dry. Nothing really unexpected for August around here. Their have been showers spotted around. All we've gotten since the beginning of July has been .65 Saturday night and .20 about 10 days ago. Still pastures are turning brown in places but still have a lot of grass. The temps has stopped it's growth for sure but I am not in need of feeding hay.

Temps should start to break and showers should start popping up in the afternoons. Hopefully they will.

my pastures and everything is dry here but not feeding hay I let my pastures grow weeds and all because I knew it would be dry this year I got 6-7' tall ragweed all over the place the cows are eating it what they don't eat the goats will.

We are so wet in central Illinois that I am feeding hay in sacrifice areas to keep the cows from muddying up the pastures. Our lawn grass is growing faster than I can mow it between showers. My son has only played 2 of his 7 scheduled baseball games because of rain outs.

We have had 3 inches in the last few days. Perfect slow rain. Grass was about to get dry.

You should always stock for drought.
2011 shock therapy got a lot of minds right in East Texas. Trying to feed through a drought puts you in the red quick. Maintaining pasture health becomes number one as you are a grass farmer first.
You can buy more cows tomorrow takes years to rebuild pasture.
Had 3/4 inch in the last 5 weeks here.
That's the way it goes flooded or drought.

I've been blessed this year. Grass is in good shape. Potentially looking at a 3rd cutting of hay.

Bigfoot said:
I've been blessed this year. Grass is in good shape. Potentially looking at a 3rd cutting of hay.

You normally only get 2? That is rough. What kind of grass? Fescue?

We've had a pretty mild summer and more rain than usual but our grass is still depleting quickly. We started feeding round bales yesterday. There is grass, but our cows just aren't satisfied and just come home screaming each night

In Texas, you kinda expect it to be hot & dry. In New York - not so much. Crazy weather. Cold wet long spring, extending right into summer. Then, hotter than NY weather and dry. This land/soil is "designed" to be watered every 3-4 days. Go a week without rain and we have cracks in the ground.
I have been chasing pastures since the day we turned out. I know how to rotate graze, just don't have the re-growth needed. Never got ahead of me this spring. Here's hoping it starts growing this fall. I have had to put out a few bales when we were gone for 3-4 days at a show. Don't have one pasture that will maintain them that long. This sucks. I feel for you southerners that go thru this all the time. We are definitely NOT used to this.

We've been blessed this year, timely showers. It was a little sketchy trying to get the first cutting up, but after that its been great, I know how it feels though. Everyone here has plenty of grass, and plenty of hay.

HDRider said:
Bigfoot said:

You normally only get 2? That is rough. What kind of grass? Fescue?

It's crabgrass. It's made 9.5 4'x5' to the acre already this year.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
In Texas, you kinda expect it to be hot & dry. In New York - not so much. Crazy weather. Cold wet long spring, extending right into summer. Then, hotter than NY weather and dry. This land/soil is "designed" to be watered every 3-4 days. Go a week without rain and we have cracks in the ground.
I have been chasing pastures since the day we turned out. I know how to rotate graze, just don't have the re-growth needed. Never got ahead of me this spring. Here's hoping it starts growing this fall. I have had to put out a few bales when we were gone for 3-4 days at a show. Don't have one pasture that will maintain them that long. This sucks. I feel for you southerners that go thru this all the time. We are definitely NOT used to this.

I feel for you folks up there. I tune in the weather reports at noon while doing lunch. Ch. 214-215 on Dish cover the nation. The brutal winters you've had up there and now the heat and humidity reserved normally for us southerners.....ouch. Feel for you!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:

Texas is a big diverse state from rainforest to desert. I happen to live in a county that averages 60" of rainfall a year. For us to go four to five weeks without rainfall is a long time.

Latest posts