Pasture/Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal said:
We've been blessed with 2 inches of rain this morning and it's still raining. Thank you, Lord, for answered prayers!

Wonderful. I got 1/4" last week and small shower this morning that hardly registered in the gauge. Enjoying the 74 degree temps more than anything compared to 103 yesterday.

TexasBred said:
Texas Gal said:
We've been blessed with 2 inches of rain this morning and it's still raining. Thank you, Lord, for answered prayers!

Wonderful. I got 1/4" last week and small shower this morning that hardly registered in the gauge. Enjoying the 74 degree temps more than anything compared to 103 yesterday.

We've had a dry spell since mid-June. If I remember correctly, we've had about 2" since then - a quarter inch or less at a time- up until yesterday.

HDRider said:
Bigfoot said:
I've been blessed this year. Grass is in good shape. Potentially looking at a 3rd cutting of hay.

You normally only get 2? That is rough. What kind of grass? Fescue?

How many cuttings do you usually get? Two is a norm here. I always get all I need for the year from my first cutting anyway.

herofan said:
HDRider said:
Bigfoot said:
I've been blessed this year. Grass is in good shape. Potentially looking at a 3rd cutting of hay.

You normally only get 2? That is rough. What kind of grass? Fescue?

How many cuttings do you usually get? Two is a norm here. I always get all I need for the year from my first cutting anyway.
I'll get 2 probably at the end of this month I'll get my last cutting

I realize that it is not available to everyone. But this is the reason when I was looking to move I wanted a place with cheap reliable irrigation. This is a 10 inch rainfall area. The range land has done good this year but that is not always the case. However that river flows through here everyday regardless. Both withdrawals from the river are on my place. I am the first one on both ditches. If anyone has water, I have water. Flood irrigation has no pumping cost. Just open up a tap and watch it cover the field with water.

Just went out to change the irrigation and it is raining. What is wrong with that picture? Well this rain probably wont amount to much. But the seat on the quad got wet every time I got off..... and then I had to sit on it :x

Fescue and clover are still growing well. Put a little N down today based on the forecast. Getting late...

Will cut the last hay next week, and probably (have to) feed some wet bales.

I need some rain on a lot of this place - Saturday we had over an inch at the house, 2 miles down hill in the main big pasture (rangeland) we got 11/100ths. I still have feed, can survive on it for another year, but I need some ponds filled. Can't water entire herd until next July or August on one well.

Our year to date amounts are less than we normally get in just July and August.

Help is on the way for all of East Texas and up into Western Ark and Southern Ok.
Tropical depression Imelda is dropping a load of rain on me right now and has been for hours now. Moving due North @ 7mp.

As of 4:30am central time:

Latest forecast 11 min ago:

Updated 11 minutes ago
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Tropical Storm Imelda has been downgraded to a tropical depression after making landfall Tuesday afternoon near Freeport. The storm formed at about midday, roughly 15 miles south of Freeport in the Gulf of Mexico.

The main threat from the storm will be extremely heavy rain leading to extensive street flooding, and possibly creek and bayou flooding if it lasts into Thursday.

Our latest forecast calls for 6-12" of rain with isolated spots over 20" along and east of the center's path.

Just a foggy morning here....was looking promising last night but we are now firmly on the dry side. Cooler temps is all we are going to get.

My meteorological degree is from.... open your eyes and look out the window or st least look at a radar image. :lol:

Greybeard.....radar shows me it heading more east than north. But what do I know. :D

Lol yeah nothing in northeast Tx yet but my parents work in Freeport live in Brazoria county and they got plenty rain im jealous.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't had any measurable rain since early July. Gonna put out hay next week IF we don't get any rain out of this .

TexasBred said:
Keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't had any measurable rain since early July. Gonna put out hay next week IF we don't get any rain out of this .

I hope for y'all.
Watching radar today looks like it has moved farther east than earlier predictions.

Latest posts