pasture fertlizer

Help Support CattleToday:

D Land

Reaction score
Without soil testing, is there a good rule of thumb for the amount of ferterlizer per acre of pasture?

The best and most economical rule of thumb is do a soil test. Without a soil test you maybe adding stuff that isn;t required (spending money for what you don;t need), not aapplying as much as you do need of something else, and if the ph isn;t right all of the fertilizer in the world won't be of much help, and it would just be spending money.

dun

It also depends on what kind of pasture you have , Grasses need more nitrogen than clover or other legumes. tell them what you have when you test it so they can give you the right recommendation.

Testing is cheap when compared to the price of fertilizer. The test I run tests for 13 different elements or charactoristics and costs about the same a 100 pounds of urea.
Ball park figure grass removes about 50 pounds of nitrogen, 6 pounds of phosphorus, and 34 pounds of potassium per ton of grass. So you could figure how much you are going to grow and add that amount. But that still wont tell you where you are starting from. As Dun said the effect of soil pH is huge. By all means test.
Dave

you could ask others in your area what they use. used to be a couple of neighbors where i come from, one would use fertilizer & no lime & the other would use lime & no fertilezer. both always had good hay so go figure. they used to claim at the extension office that a growing season would remove between 2-300 lbs of fertilizer. i usually put around 200 of triple 17 most years, sometimes i don't put any. i usually try to build up pasture by feeding the herd on different parts of it each winter.

oh by the way i have known guys to get soil samples from their fields & from thier cellar & they test the same, so don't always trust what is wrote on paper

One of our local fertilizer dealers, Southern States, will run test for free when buying from them. Local ag college charges $10. We have been running samples about every other year, our ground is so low on P & K we really can't afford to do all it needs. Trying to build it up a little each year and lime it to get the ph right. Really put the P &K to it last year and limed in the fall. Then this year we backed off on the rate , 30-30-30 on pasture and 40-30-30 on my hay ground.

Last soil test called for 40-90-175 per acre on some of my ground. But seems that this area tests real low in P & K. I have seen some charts for what crops remove from the ground on a per ton yield that was interesting.

Don't know if it's a federal regulation, but has anyone had to sign for Ammonia Nitrate? Social Security number and Drivers License #. I know we have to do it here.

Crowderfarms":ihima6x1 said:
Don't know if it's a federal regulation, but has anyone had to sign for Ammonia Nitrate? Social Security number and Drivers License #. I know we have to do it here.
Just more communism

tapeworm":2qcdq9j0 said:
Crowderfarms":2qcdq9j0 said:
Just more communism

and fear of terrorism.

Craig-TX

I'll echo what's already been said, SOIL TEST is by far the most $$$$ saving thing you can do. Not just fertilizer but ph or lime, mineral deficincy and more. Take the short time and pay the $5 or $10 and save hundreds of $$$. ;-)

jerry27150":25dhmr16 said:
most of the orchard places have a meter for 29 bucks that will test your soil needs, lime & fertilizer
====
"jerry27150"

Orchard places?.... dealers in orchard products? Have not seen one.hummmm.

preston39":349ot81a said:
jerry27150":349ot81a said:
most of the orchard places have a meter for 29 bucks that will test your soil needs, lime & fertilizer
====
"jerry27150"

Places that supply Growers such as Peaches, Pears, Apples, Citrus, Pecans etc. :idea:

Crowderfarms":yrk7qdxy said:
preston39":yrk7qdxy said:
jerry27150":yrk7qdxy said:
====
"jerry27150"

Places that supply Growers such as Peaches, Pears, Apples, Citrus, Pecans etc. :idea:

Have no problem with that ID.....I wonder what the instrument is called?

preston39":3nmf12k6 said:
Crowderfarms":3nmf12k6 said:
preston39":3nmf12k6 said:
jerry27150":3nmf12k6 said:
====
"jerry27150"

Try This Link Preston 39 :http://www.biconet.com/testing/rapitestPhTest.html

Crowderfarms":ihvfyx2i said:
preston39":ihvfyx2i said:
Crowderfarms":ihvfyx2i said:
preston39":ihvfyx2i said:
jerry27150":ihvfyx2i said:
====
"jerry27150"

Try This Link Preston 39 :http://www.biconet.com/testing/rapitestPhTest.html
===========
Crowderfarms,

Thanks for the site. Had any experience with this one or any of the testers? Wonder how accurate they are?

Always take the plugs to the Ext. Agent......and wait...it would be nice to get it faster. Never heard...thought of one.

Would imagine you could find better or equal soil testers out there. I take our samples to our Fertilizer Distributor...Guess these might be OK if you're in a hurry.

Latest posts