Supplement to good pasture/hay

Help Support CattleToday:

TwinCedarFarms

Reaction score
I'm just starting a small cow/calf cooperation with registered Herefords. They will be rotationally grazing on pasture with good grass and I will be feeding them round bales through the winter when the grass quits growing. My question is I would like to give them a small amount of supplemental feed in the evenings in order to check on them, get them used to being handled and just better to work with in general. If they are getting quality pasture and/or a hay, what kind of feed should I buy to put in the trough the evening? I don't want to get them in the habit of hanging around waiting for the feed everyday as I want them to primarily graze. Thanks

Feed them a couple times a week at different times. If you feed them every afternoon they will be standing there every afternoon.Feed them a 11 or 12% feed from co-op or feed store.

Mat man is right on.vfeed em different time. I give mine a couple buckets of barley twice a week and they see a pail and come running. You feed em same time every day and you come home late or don't get out there one day and they'll be bawling like they've never been fed in a month

What you should supplement depends on where they are in their calving cycle & what time of year it is. Ideally CP supplements would be >30% CP. If they need energy the rule of thumb is no more than 0.05% of BW supplemented/hd at a time (this goes for corn in particular). Anymore than that and forage digestion would be reduced. Changing the time of day you supplement or frequency will help keep the cattle gazing.

cjmc":xesiwwu1 said:
What you should supplement depends on where they are in their calving cycle & what time of year it is. Ideally CP supplements would be >30% CP. If they need energy the rule of thumb is no more than 0.05% of BW supplemented/hd at a time (this goes for corn in particular). Anymore than that and forage digestion would be reduced. Changing the time of day you supplement or frequency will help keep the cattle gazing.
Typical salesman trying to baffle them with BS and studies........in short...just buy a bag of cheap feed. Feed them a few pounds per head per day until they're coming into the corral of wherever you want them. End of story.

TexasBred":hwiccgxd said:
cjmc":hwiccgxd said:
Typical salesman trying to baffle them with BS and studies........in short...just buy a bag of cheap feed. Feed them a few pounds per head per day until they're coming into the corral of wherever you want them. End of story.
Woahhh easy there kemosabe. No need to get your panties in a wad. One I'm not a sales rep. Two nothing in that statement should baffle people in the beef industry. Three let's not drag science's good name though the mud by using "studies & BS" in the same sentence. People that only eat non-implanted meat use similar logic. I'd like to think we are better than that. My logic here is quite simple. If you are going to supplement your cows something why not get some return on your money you spent by supplementing something that would make them come running & maximize animal performance? For instance if I decided to do something similar here I could go to orschlens and get some all stock feed with molasses (like 12%CP?) They would come running for the stuff. But I could also use a 30% range cube, it would also make cows come running. The difference between the two (outside of whatever the cost difference is) is that spring Calvers on grass in my area would be in better condition if you supplemented the same amount of cubes vs all stock this time of year. Now his grass and calving season might be different. So why not kill two birds with one stone and by figuring out what your first limiting nutrient is and then buying a feed with lots of that nutrient in it?

cjmc":39giwk7j said:
TexasBred":39giwk7j said:
cjmc":39giwk7j said:
Woahhh easy there kemosabe. No need to get your panties in a wad. One I'm not a sales rep. Two nothing in that statement should baffle people in the beef industry. Three let's not drag science's good name though the mud by using "studies & BS" in the same sentence. People that only eat non-implanted meat use similar logic. I'd like to think we are better than that. My logic here is quite simple. If you are going to supplement your cows something why not get some return on your money you spent by supplementing something that would make them come running & maximize animal performance? For instance if I decided to do something similar here I could go to orschlens and get some all stock feed with molasses (like 12%CP?) They would come running for the stuff. But I could also use a 30% range cube, it would also make cows come running. The difference between the two (outside of whatever the cost difference is) is that spring Calvers on grass in my area would be in better condition if you supplemented the same amount of cubes vs all stock this time of year. Now his grass and calving season might be different. So why not kill two birds with one stone and by figuring out what your first limiting nutrient is and then buying a feed with lots of that nutrient in it?
But you know nothing about the mans operations so all this is out the window and everything else you state is pure speculation. The man wants to pen his cattle. He didn't mention "maximum performance" or anythign else. There will be no return on a couple of pounds of feed per head per day regardless of the crude protein values or net energy values. But keep running your calculator and quoting your university studies. That's what they teach you in your sales meetings. A bit of common sense is all that is needed. KISS.

TexasBred":2htiuhwb said:
cjmc":2htiuhwb said:
TexasBred":2htiuhwb said:
But you know nothing about the mans operations so all this is out the window and everything else you state is pure speculation. The man wants to pen his cattle. He didn't mention "maximum performance" or anythign else. There will be no return on a couple of pounds of feed per head per day regardless of the crude protein values or net energy values. But keep running your calculator and quoting your university studies. That's what they teach you in your sales meetings. A bit of common sense is all that is needed. KISS.
You don't know anything about his operation either so you can't definitively say there won't be a return. You disagree with my opinion I don't really care. It doesn't make my logic wrong. And for the second time today. I'm not a sales rep so I Don't go to sales meetings.

cjmc":1wstl70j said:
You don't know anything about his operation either so you can't definitively say there won't be a return. You disagree with my opinion I don't really care. It doesn't make my logic wrong. And for the second time today. I'm not a sales rep so I Don't go to sales meetings.
I know he wants to pen his cattle. That's all that matters... Apple peelings will do that if you really want to use whats available or a bucket of pears....Why would you choose allstock (the most worthless feed in the store)?? No need to make it technical which you always have a tendency to do. Learn to speak where people understand rather than try to make yourself look so important. You're customers will love you for it and they might actually benefit from it. Not a sales rep? Seems you're always hawking that cross bred genetic company you work for. I'd call that a salesman. Or maybe just a con man. :lol2: :lol:

TexasBred":17b0ndd9 said:
cjmc":17b0ndd9 said:
I know he wants to pen his cattle. That's all that matters... Apple peelings will do that if you really want to use whats available or a bucket of pears....Why would you choose allstock (the most worthless feed in the store)?? No need to make it technical which you always have a tendency to do. Learn to speak where people understand rather than try to make yourself look so important. You're customers will love you for it and they might actually benefit from it. Not a sales rep? Seems you're always hawking that cross bred genetic company you work for. I'd call that a salesman. Or maybe just a con man. :lol2: :lol:

You literally just made my point for me by saying a fed is worthless... My whole point was since you are going to feed them might as well supplement something that will give the cattle a little performance bump.

I am a cross bred fan. But your logic of assuming I'm a genetic sales rep is flawed. Why would I get technical and use calculators if I was a genetic sales rep?

TwinCedarFarms":89q7o7uj said:
I'm just starting a small cow/calf cooperation with registered Herefords. They will be rotationally grazing on pasture with good grass and I will be feeding them round bales through the winter when the grass quits growing. My question is I would like to give them a small amount of supplemental feed in the evenings in order to check on them, get them used to being handled and just better to work with in general. If they are getting quality pasture and/or a hay, what kind of feed
should I buy to put in the trough the evening? I don't want to get them in the habit of hanging around waiting for the
feed every day as I want them to primarily graze. Thanks
Whatever you have locally available and cheap.
Maybe buy corn from a neighbor and/or have local feed mill make an 11% with a little added vitamins and minerals?

cjmc":1pbghole said:
TexasBred":1pbghole said:
cjmc":1pbghole said:

You literally just made my point for me by saying a fed is worthless... My whole point was since you are going to feed them might as well supplement something that will give the cattle a little performance bump.

I am a cross bred fan. But your logic of assuming I'm a genetic sales rep is flawed. Why would I get technical and use calculators if I was a genetic sales rep?
Amazing.....you recommend a feed....I tell you it's worthless and you agree with me. :lol: :lol: :lol: I think maybe you need to post less and read more. I really have no idea what you do for a living....why not just tell us. End the suspense. Inquiring minds want to know.

TexasBred":2u63q4ba said:
cjmc":2u63q4ba said:
TexasBred":2u63q4ba said:

Amazing.....you recommend a feed....I tell you it's worthless and you agree with me. :lol: :lol: :lol: I think maybe you need to post less and read more. I really have no idea what you do for a living....why not just tell us. End the suspense. Inquiring minds want to know.

I never gave any specific recommendation, I only used all stock as an example because it was the first ubiquitous commercial feed I could think of. You said it was worthless thus making my entire point in this thread of "If you are going to feed them might as well kills two birds with one stone by not just feeding anything but something that will give you a performance bump."

I just reviewed all 20 some comments I've made on this site, none of them that i saw had anything to do with genetics (unless i missed one?). So maybe you are confusing me with someone else by thinking I "hawk" for a cross bred genetics company? I work for a feedlot.

cjmc":1emh5u9y said:
I never gave any specific recommendation, I only used all stock as an example because it was the first ubiquitous commercial feed I could think of. You said it was worthless thus making my entire point in this thread of "If you are going to feed them might as well kills two birds with one stone by not just feeding anything but something that will give you a performance bump."

I just reviewed all 20 some comments I've made on this site, none of them that i saw had anything to do with genetics (unless i missed one?). So maybe you are confusing me with someone else by thinking I "hawk" for a cross bred genetics company? I work for a feedlot.

When it come to dairy genomics there are some different options. The genomic test that are available depend on the breed. We have a good breakdown of the tests that are available by breed, what traits are tested with each test.

Many of the tests for some of the breeds are further processed by the USDA. There are only a handful of providers that are nominators to the USDA / CDCB. For females, there is typically no fee charged. Bulls can vary. On our website, if a test is for submission to the USDA / CDCB there is a link to the CDCB for the fees that are charges.

Please visit our genomics information at http://dairycattleregistry.com/genomics/
0 x

TexasBred":33suc5nl said:
cjmc":33suc5nl said:

When it come to dairy genomics there are some different options. The genomic test that are available depend on the breed. We have a good breakdown of the tests that are available by breed, what traits are tested with each test.

Many of the tests for some of the breeds are further processed by the USDA. There are only a handful of providers that are nominators to the USDA / CDCB. For females, there is typically no fee charged. Bulls can vary. On our website, if a test is for submission to the USDA / CDCB there is a link to the CDCB for the fees that are charges.

Please visit our genomics information at http://dairycattleregistry.com/genomics/
0 x

Yup 100% for sure not me. Unless I have been hacked lol. I have nothing to do with dairy cattle and I would like to keep it that way.

TexasBred":3iwwhdji said:
cjmc":3iwwhdji said:

0 x
If you search some keywords you will find the person who posted that is cbcr. Close, to my username. But none the less, not me.