Pasture Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

okieman

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and new to fertilizing. I am in Central Oklahoma and have about a 65 acre pasture that has not been treated with any fertilizer or weed killers in the past years. Half of it has been over grownwith sundflowers. I am wanting to get it back in shape this year. I would like to use granual fertilizer/week killer as I have a large spreader for my tractor. I have sent off a couple of soil samples but have not heard back yet. What is the best all round fertilizer ratio and suggestions for cleaning this up. Oh and there is some good bermuda grass mixed in with all the trash. Thanks for any suggestions

The best mix is whatever your soil analysis comes up with. The sun flowers would be the easiest issue to deal with. Once they are up about a foot use a weedwiper type of setup with glyphosate to knock them down. They'll probably come up year after year until the seed bank is exhaustedm but it makes for good dove hunting. If you wait until it starts to flower you may find that the deer pretty well address them going to seed, but that will knock down the dove hunting.

"I would like to use granual fertilizer/week killer as I have a large spreader for my tractor."

Check with your fertilizer dealer because for 65 acres it will probably be just as cheap for them to spread it with their truck. I have never controlled weeds with a granual weed killer so couldn't give any advice there.

I've never found any "one size fits all" fertilizer that works well for a fairly big piece of acerage. The local place says they sell a LOT of 13-13-13 for general use in this area, but that did not at all match what my soil analysis said I needed. (needed lots of Potash (K), and enough N to enable the plants to utilize the K).
It's pretty easy to waste a good chunk of money gambling on fertilize, and I speak from experience on this.

I know nothing about granular weed control products, except that most of the lawn type granular weed control products will kill Bahaia and San Augustine--both are used for lawns here, so even in a pasture,--- read, read, read to make sure whatever you use won't kill off desirable natural grasses in your pasture..

I'm only familiar with the granular weed killers marketed for lawns. I'm not sure if you can get it in large quantities or not, but either way spraying typically does a much more thorough job. From what I can recall, it's the same herbicide (usually 2,4,D) but put in granular form. If the leaves aren't wet, the granules don't stick to them and the results aren't always that good. For 65 acres, I think you'd get much better results, for less money, by renting a sprayer.

you need moisture to activate the granular. Granted the weed needs to be actively growing when sprayed to kill it too.

okieman":3ewkjasy said:
Hello, I am new to this site and new to fertilizing. I am in Central Oklahoma and have about a 65 acre pasture that has not been treated with any fertilizer or weed killers in the past years. Half of it has been over grownwith sundflowers. I am wanting to get it back in shape this year. I would like to use granual fertilizer/week killer as I have a large spreader for my tractor. I have sent off a couple of soil samples but have not heard back yet. What is the best all round fertilizer ratio and suggestions for cleaning this up. Oh and there is some good bermuda grass mixed in with all the trash. Thanks for any suggestions

first let me say :welcome:
2nd I would definately suggest spraying over using granular... The cost of 1 bad of the granular is the cost of 2.5 gallons of 2,4-d atleast in my area and would probably cost a small fortune to really achieve what you want it to do by using bags. If you have no sprayer it is fairly cheap to build one. I have one I made for my 4 wheeler that I use on my yard that cost under 200bucks but that was about 5 years ago maybe under 300 bucks now.

skyhightree1":2totggyn said:
okieman":2totggyn said:

first let me say :welcome:
2nd I would definately suggest spraying over using granular... The cost of 1 bad of the granular is the cost of 2.5 gallons of 2,4-d atleast in my area and would probably cost a small fortune to really achieve what you want it to do by using bags. If you have no sprayer it is fairly cheap to build one. I have one I made for my 4 wheeler that I use on my yard that cost under 200bucks but that was about 5 years ago maybe under 300 bucks now.
Or you can buy one from Northern Tool or TSC for less then that all set up and ready to use.

or you could do that.. but mine I had 12 foot boom on it with Fan spray tips that worked well where I couldn't get the tractor to to spray a 5 acre food plot had a 30 gallon tank on it. I installed a valve on mine in which I think the ones you buy have it to where you can either use a boomless spray or a hand held wand by changing the valve to either... You could use liquid fertilizer or chemicals to kill weeds or both at the same time. Dun how dare you use your head and be right .... AGAIN :D

skyhightree1":3o2jaew3 said:
or you could do that.. but mine I had 12 foot boom on it with Fan spray tips that worked well where I couldn't get the tractor to to spray a 5 acre food plot had a 30 gallon tank on it.
I made a boom that mounts in the reciever but it's only 10 foot and cost about 25 bucks because of the jets I used.

dun":1ne71hwl said:
skyhightree1":1ne71hwl said:
or you could do that.. but mine I had 12 foot boom on it with Fan spray tips that worked well where I couldn't get the tractor to to spray a 5 acre food plot had a 30 gallon tank on it.
I made a boom that mounts in the reciever but it's only 10 foot and cost about 25 bucks because of the jets I used.

I used a 2x4 with pvc pipe attached to itand the hose ziptied to the pvc and attached the 2x4 to the 4 wheeler cargo rack

Latest posts