Pac NW wolves

Help Support CattleToday:

In Minnesota we have more wolves than all the other lower 48 combined. Yes wolves are a problem. The payment is a joke. First of all we do have more vegetation here, not as much open space as in the NW. Finding a wolf kill is very hard especially calves. I was never reimbursed because prove the calf existed, prove that it was healthy, prove you used good management. My problem was the calf is just gone. I did find a couple when we hayed but all you find is a bit of hair and a few bones. Kind of hard to prove it was healthy, your management and what killed it. The reimbursement sounds good on paper. The stated losses to wolves is merely a small percent of the actual losses. The word around here is SSS. farmguy

On our Forest Permit in SouthWestern Wyoming last season, we lost right at 1% to wolves and grizzlies.

Kathie in Thorp":1f8eysdy said:
A Seattle TV station interviwed one of our area ranchers. As the crow flies, the Teanaway area is just over 20 mi. from us. Hopefully, the dogs will prefer the higher elevations. Dave, you probably know this guy.
http://www.king5.com/tech/science/environment/rancher-prepares-cattle-for-wolf-country/102855802

Yep, I know who he is . I went to college with one of his cousins. They had a fund raiser at the cow sale I believe for the Okanogan fire victims. One of those rollover auctions where you buy the heifer and donate it back and they sell it again. He donated a bred heifer. They said she was wolf trained. McGervines (sp) up next to the Canadian border in Stevens County have a whole herd of wolf trained cows. They are trained to lay out in the middle of the field in the sun rather than lay up in the shade of the trees. They are trained to stay in a tight bunch rather than spread out. Wolves train cows to do all kinds of things.

Latest posts