Pac NW fires/4-H FFA Shows/Cancelled County Fairs

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have any bright ideas. Several Washington counties have cancelled or are considering cancelling their County Fairs because of FIRE, which leaves a bunch of 4-H and FFA kids hanging out there with their market animals. I've checked, and not found so far any other County fairs that those kids could move into. Anyone else been through this . . . A special sale or something? Any ideas?

If they don't get to show them might talk to a local sale barn. They might promote the sale and do no commission for the kids.

I think the neighboring counties should really step up and invite the kids in, they've put a lot of work into this, and it's no fault of their own that the show they'd go to is cancelled.

We had light rain yesterday and very heavy rains last night and continuing this morning, along with some lightning. The rain is suppose to continue for about six, much needed relief here, with luck the fires on the east side will get a good rain.

Any possibility they can hold off for a few more weeks?

Any possibility that there is another venue in a neighboring town/county that could be used for their show?

Workinonit Farm":3g7udyu9 said:
Any possibility they can hold off for a few more weeks?

Any possibility that there is another venue in a neighboring town/county that could be used for their show?

The Eastern WA show is coming up first week in Sept. in Yakima, but that would be a very long haul for the kids up north; State Fair is over on the west side 2nd week Sept. Also a long haul. Most of the other county fairs are done; ours here starts this week, but in talking to the locals, the barn will be full-up. Also, the pre-show weigh-ins have already happened, so that would glitch things up. Just a shame. Chelan County Fairgrounds is filled with firefighters, and last I heard, whether or not to cancel fair there is still up in the air.

wacocowboy":333qsrw5 said:
If they don't get to show them might talk to a local sale barn. They might promote the sale and do no commission for the kids.

Ya know, that's a pretty good idea, Wacocowboy. If they can wait a few weeks for the dust to settle, work with the sale yard, advertise the heck out of it/notify those folks or businesses that usually support the youth exhibitors at the fair . . . . might work.

I've even seen where a sale barn put on a show at the barn to help out the kids and then sold them after. I think they got 50+ kids that needed a place to show them too.

Ojp6":kfm3xtxi said:
I've even seen where a sale barn put on a show at the barn to help out the kids and then sold them after. I think they got 50+ kids that needed a place to show them too.

If something like this happened, it would have to happen in a couple of places, and also include market goats, lambs, and hogs -- all the market critters.

Latest posts