oz. per acre vs. oz. per gallon confusion

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech":2b77vez9 said:
Ruark":2b77vez9 said:
Yes, I googled those sites, and see how that calculation can work. The only problem I might have is your comment, "Spray the market off area the same way you would spray when actually applying the herbicide." That's a highly variable activity, when the way you would "actually apply" the herbicide is to spray an individual plant or cluster of plants until it is drenched. But I'll look at it. I apologize for annoying you.
If I seem annoyed I apologize. Frustrated maybe. But I attribute that to my lack of skill in communication.The way they recommend is to spray as if it were a boom sprayer. When you spray make sure you are getting good leaf coverage. Any more is a waste. I had the same habit until I looked at my herbicide bill. That is all that is necessary on most weeds. Brush can be a different story ( huisache is sprayed at 1% grazon pd.). I boom spray my hay fields but in pastures I use hand held wand sprayers, sometimes electric tank and sometimes backpack, for thicker areas of weeds. I do not enjoy walking around in 100 degree heat so I try and do it right the first time. Sometimes doing it right means less chemical. Proper calibration and timing result in a better, more economical, and time saving kill.
A single outlet pump up or hand held electric is nothing more than a boom sprayer with only one nozzel. The chemical should be applied the same way. How you apply is as important as how much. You spray one individual plant the same way you would spray a row or group.

Correct approach to application :clap: :clap:

novatech":37m7rlln said:
piedmontese":37m7rlln said:
well if the rates are different for different weeds what do u do when u got a bunch of different weeds in your pasture? walk around all day with a calculator and recalculate for every type of weed? sometimes people make things way too difficult.
Most weeds can be handled with the same rate especially at the early growth stage. I spray for what I have most of. Anything that does not die gets taken care of later with the herbicide and rate designed to kill it. There are other weeds that cannot be killed unless done seperatly and at the proper time or growth stage. Calibrating a sprayer is not rocket science. It is easy and takes very little time. Proper calibration makes more efficient use of your time and herbicide. With a pump up sprayer, or any other hand held sprayer, you only have to find out the amount being sprayed one time unless you change nozzles. Once you know how much water it sprays per acre then you calculate the amount of concentrate to mix in with it for any type you want to use. For each type write it down and you never have to do it again with that sprayer.
It totally amazes me that people don,t do the research. The answers all all there on the Internet. If you have an argument as to what I am saying, back up your argument. Show me I will stand corrected. It would not be the first time.
i definately dont mean to argue and after this post i actually follow what you are saying.thanks.

Just mark off about a 10 yard square and spray the hole thing with water at a steady pace. See how much water you used. That will be about 1/7 of an acre. Mix 1/7 of the desired rate per acre to that amount of water. Anywhere between 20 and 40 gallons per acre is enough for good coverage. I use 30 gallons per acre. The more water you use per acre the better the coverage on the plants. You cannot dilute pesticides by using too much water as long as it sticks. Using a surfactant will help with this. The more water you use without it running off the plants, the more effective the pesticide will be. Provided you mix the desired rate of pesticide per acre.

piedmontese":17w8pkub said:
i definately dont mean to argue and after this post i actually follow what you are saying.thanks.
As long as you me or anybody watching learns something it is not an argument. I consider it productive debate.

B&M Farms":x7c9kijy said:
Just mark off about a 10 yard square and spray the hole thing with water at a steady pace. See how much water you used. That will be about 1/7 of an acre. Mix 1/7 of the desired rate per acre to that amount of water. Anywhere between 20 and 40 gallons per acre is enough for good coverage. I use 30 gallons per acre. The more water you use per acre the better the coverage on the plants. You cannot dilute pesticides by using too much water as long as it sticks. Using a surfactant will help with this. The more water you use without it running off the plants, the more effective the pesticide will be. Provided you mix the desired rate of pesticide per acre.
I agree. But with most pump ups you are limited by the one the factory put on. I prefer the higher end nozzles that can be changed out. The adjustable are OK but I find I will readjust while spraying (bad habit). That changes gallons per acre rate. So I use the interchangeable cone jet tip that works the best for me.

I copied and pasted this from the dowagro website.; Their chart is easier to follow. It didn't exactly copy the way I wanted it to.
It has the rates for Remedy, Grazon and Remedy mixed with Grazon and Surmount. But none of the suppiers around here know what Surmount is

High-Volume Foliar Tank-Mix Guide
Broad-Spectrum Brush-Control Mix
Sprayer Size
Remedy Ultra (.50%)
Surfactant (.50%)
1 gallon
1 fl oz
1 fl oz

3 gallons
3 fl oz
3 fl oz

4 gallons
4 fl oz
4 fl oz

10 gallons
7 fl oz
7 fl oz

15 gallons
10 fl oz
10 fl oz

25 gallons
1 pt
1 pt

100 gallons
2 qts
2 qts

Broad-Spectrum Brush/Weed Control Mix
Sprayer Size Remedy Ultra (.25%) Grazon P+D (1%) Surmount (1-2%) Surfactant (.50%)
1 gallon 2 tsp 8 tsp 8-16 tsp 4 tsp
3 gallons 1 fl oz 4 fl oz 4-8 fl oz 2 fl oz
5 gallons 1.6 fl oz 6.4 fl oz 6.4-12.8 fl oz 3.2 fl oz
10 gallons 3.2 fl oz 12.8 fl oz 12.8-25.6 fl oz 6.4 fl oz
14 gallons 4.5 fl oz 18 fl oz 36 fl oz 9 fl oz
25 gallons 8 fl oz 2 pts 2-4 pts 1 pt
100 gallons 1 qt 4 qts 4-8 qts 2 qts

Targeted Brush-Control Mix: Multiflora Rose, Locust, etc.
Sprayer Size
Grazon P+D (2%)
Surfactant (.50%)

1 gallon
16 tsp 4 tsp

3 gallons
8 fl oz 2 fl oz

5 gallons
12.8 fl oz 3.2 fl oz

10 gallons
25.6 fl oz 6.4 fl oz

14 gallons
36 fl oz 9 fl oz

25 gallons
4 pts 1 pt

hillbilly beef man":1pckynh9 said:
Hillbilly herbicide math. Little slosh for your hand sprayer and big slosh for your tank sprayer. :lol:

When I got my applicators license, they didn't cover that method... I am not saying I have never ever used it, I just not saying...

danl":2nt0v4z8 said:
hillbilly beef man":2nt0v4z8 said:
Hillbilly herbicide math. Little slosh for your hand sprayer and big slosh for your tank sprayer. :lol:

When I got my applicators license, they didn't cover that method... I am not saying I have never ever used it, I just not saying...

I don't guess they got into glugs either then? I would have thought you would have to know these technical terms before you got your license. :lol:

True story, I saw one of the maintenance guys at our local athletic fields filling up his sprayer. I started talking to him, about what he was spraying. He didn't know. I asked how much he used. He said 3 glugs from this big jug, and one glug from the other. I had no idea what he was talking about, until he started pouring in chemical. He counted the glugs as the herbicide, and surfactant poured out of the jug.

Latest posts