Outrageous hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

It is simple, It is Free enterprize, supply and demand....If the hay is to high , do not buy it...Sell your cows...
Yes it is greed, when gas went so high, my hay prices went up, when gas can down, the price did not drop...
EVERYONE wants top dollar for there stuff, be it Hay, cattle, land or anything else....I am sorry Texas, and others are in such a drought, but like it or not the world is changing, and we have to adjust, IT IS GOING TO BE PAINFUL....

I'm in Texas and one reason hay is so high priced is because it is being hauled in. The trucking fees cost more than the hay.

I bought some alfalfa - orchardgrass out of Montana, and the trucking cost was $4 per mile.

I have friends trying to get hay in from Oklahoma. The cost including hauling is $120 per bale for a semi - load. Another friend is trying to get some out of Arkansas. It is a 200 mile trip one way to his place. The trucking fee is $20 per bale for a load of 40 bales ($1600).

My hay producing friends have sold their hay for a fair price ($45 a bale). They sold out a couple of months ago.

So don't go saying that people are gouging, many people who are paying to get the stuff here are paying a lot to get it here.

If you want to complain, complain about how much it costs to haul it.

Black Coos":2s1fcayq said:
It is simple, It is Free enterprize, supply and demand....If the hay is to high , do not buy it...Sell your cows...
Yes it is greed, when gas went so high, my hay prices went up, when gas can down, the price did not drop...
EVERYONE wants top dollar for there stuff, be it Hay, cattle, land or anything else....I am sorry Texas, and others are in such a drought, but like it or not the world is changing, and we have to adjust, IT IS GOING TO BE PAINFUL....

Is it supply and demand or is it greed? I tend to go along with supply and demand with just enough crooks thrown in to give all the rest a black eye. Haven't talkedto any truckers but would figure an 18 wheeler takes a minimum of $2.00 to $2.50 a running mile to operate so it's not hard to figure the freight from here to there assuming they can get a 24-25 ton load. Expensive hay does't leave too many options now.... buy from a reputable person with good references. Otherwise about all you can do is reduce cattle numbers, sell out or feed from a bag. But everyone selling expensive hay is NOT a crook nor greedy so lose that thought.

TexasBred":3p1mgyaj said:
Is it supply and demand or is it greed? I tend to go along with supply and demand with just enough crooks thrown in to give all the rest a black eye. Haven't talkedto any truckers but would figure an 18 wheeler takes a minimum of $2.00 to $2.50 a running mile to operate so it's not hard to figure the freight from here to there assuming they can get a 24-25 ton load. Expensive hay does't leave too many options now.... buy from a reputable person with good references. Otherwise about all you can do is reduce cattle numbers, sell out or feed from a bag. But everyone selling expensive hay is NOT a crook nor greedy so lose that thought.

Well said, TB. Sitting around crying isn't going to change the price of hay or bring rain. That said, I have no doubt that the vast majority of folks affected by this drought aren't whining about their bad luck, feeling sorry for themselves, complaining about being gouged, and asking for handouts. No, they are quietly making tough decisions and going about the business of doing what has to be done to get through a bad situation. My hats off to them.

I wonder - if the supply of beef goes down, can the consumers get the government to keep prices down so producers aren't "gounging".

Maybe everything ought to have a fair price established by the central planners.

Oh, wait, that's already been tried and didn't turn out too well.

djinwa":57czfsw8 said:
I wonder - if the supply of beef goes down, can the consumers get the government to keep prices down so producers aren't "gounging".

Maybe everything ought to have a fair price established by the central planners.

Oh, wait, that's already been tried and didn't turn out too well.
Supply and demand always works best. But you'll always have a few that will try to take advantage of folks in about any business.

Supply and demand drive the markets, But greed is the driving force behind it...NO, and I mean no one is in businees to break even, everyone wants to make money....Period, thus Greed...Yes greed varies in degree, but it is what drives us...I do not know anyone that does not want more, something....

Black Coos":34d48fdu said:
Supply and demand drive the markets, But greed is the driving force behind it...NO, and I mean no one is in businees to break even, everyone wants to make money....Period, thus Greed...Yes greed varies in degree, but it is what drives us...I do not know anyone that does not want more, something....

You may not believe, read nor operate by this great book but here is what it has to say about wealth:

It's time for us to see money as it should be seen so that we can use it as it should be used. The next time you see someone who is wealthy, instead of feeling jealous, perhaps you should try to learn from them. Not all people earn money through an honest, respectable way but the ones who do are good examples for us and the Bible says we should "Walk with the wise to become wise..." (Proverbs 13:20). No where does this same book ever say ONE WORD GOOD about DEBT.

and also do not think of a wealthy person as lucky. You make your own luck. That person may just have worked hard all their life and are now enjoying the fruits of their labour. If you do the same you may end up the same, but a lot of people are not willing to put in the work now for later.

I agree with Todd we live in a greedy gimmie gimme society and they don't care who they step on so they can get what they want.
The golden rule today is screw your neighbor before he screws you. You see it in everything today go watch a little league game the parent's have turned it into something awful. It isn't about the kids it's about winning at all cost.
Take a drive without someone flipping you off, they need to wrinkle the paint on the side of your vehicle when they come by on their cell phone. Your sorry ass is eating into their valuable time. They are the same person that flew by you that you pull up next to or behind at the light.
Too many want to blame their current woe's no matter if it is money or life is somebody else's fault;
We live in a victim society rather than take charge of our own lives and having a victor's attitude about life.
We live in a society today that very few people know God and are at peace with their life.

chippie":7l1xzjos said:
I'm in Texas and one reason hay is so high priced is because it is being hauled in. The trucking fees cost more than the hay.

I bought some alfalfa - orchardgrass out of Montana, and the trucking cost was $4 per mile.

I have friends trying to get hay in from Oklahoma. The cost including hauling is $120 per bale for a semi - load. Another friend is trying to get some out of Arkansas. It is a 200 mile trip one way to his place. The trucking fee is $20 per bale for a load of 40 bales ($1600).

My hay producing friends have sold their hay for a fair price ($45 a bale). They sold out a couple of months ago.

So don't go saying that people are gouging, many people who are paying to get the stuff here are paying a lot to get it here.

Sound to me like the truckers are doing the gouging in this case. :eek: $1600.00 for a 400 mile round trip ? I'd like to turn 6 of those trips a week !

HEREFORD ROADHOG":24a0dczb said:
chippie":24a0dczb said:

Sound to me like the truckers are doing the gouging in this case. :eek: $1600.00 for a 400 mile round trip ? I'd like to turn 6 of those trips a week !
I think her Math was off like Jed said $20pr bale for 40 bales is $800 not $1600
and that is about the going rate pr loaded mile
200 miles x$4.00 pr loaded mile

HEREFORD ROADHOG":234lmk4m said:
chippie":234lmk4m said:

There's no good reason why you can't. First you need to learn how to drive a vehicle that's up to 80 ft long, 13 1/2 ft high, weighs up to 40 tons fully loaded, and takes 40-50% more distance to stop than the average vehicle. Then slap down roughly $150,000 for a new tractor and trailer. Also be prepared to come up with a few thousand more each year for fees, taxes and insurance. Don't forget to memorize the dozens of state and federal regulations you'll be subjected to. Oh yeah, make sure you can come up with 3 or 4 hundred bucks each day for fuel if you plan to be on the road a lot. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but you get the point. People will be standing in line wanting to give you business. Pretty easy stuff. I say go for it.

Van you probably missed some but got enough of it hopefully for everyone to get the point. Trucking ain't cheap. Wonder how much 18 tires cost? Scarey.

heres 2 facts about the drought an hay prices.1 people will charge as much as they can for the hay.an some haulers will do the same.2.some people will sell their hay very cheap.an some haulers will haul cheaply.thus making that fair priced hay an trucking cost $90 to $100 a bale.

Latest posts