Outrageous hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":18hhmwbj said:
heres 2 facts about the drought an hay prices.1 people will charge as much as they can for the hay.an some haulers will do the same.2.some people will sell their hay very cheap.an some haulers will haul cheaply.thus making that fair priced hay an trucking cost $90 to $100 a bale.

And those hauling hay cheaper may quite likely be cutting corners somewhere. Insurance, quality of hay...etc..
I hate lowballers in my business and I flat out refuse to try to compete with them. Then again maybe that's why I've been in biz for 20 yrs where the lowballers keep going out of biz

an the fact some hay sellers will pass off junk hay as good cow hay.notice i said some would do that.the best way to buy hay is with the buyer there to look at the hay.then no 1 gets hustled.

Agreed bigbull. But that's hard to do when its being hauled in. Then it comes down to trust and established relationships

yes an trust is a big issue when it comes down to giving $125 a bale for hay.i cring everytime i send after feed an lick tubbs because i know much itll cost.

hooknline":2r960gj0 said:
If its any consolation, ill guarantee your tubs and feed is cheaper than mine
right now the tubbs are costing $92 a tubb,an the range meal is $9 to $10 a 50lb sack.

For those who think you're being ripped by the truckers, do like Vanc said. Gather up about a suit case full of cash and run right down to your big car dealer and pick up one of those machines that you think are making a killing hauling freight. Pay about $2,000 to $5,000, depending, and get your class 1, buy your licenses for each state you want to run in, because you don't just buy a license in the state you live in, then a few thou. for insurance, fuel permits , etc. etc, and get to making that big money. Oh, and have another suit case full of cash to run on, when the broker beats you out of your pay because "You misunderstood him", $35.00 a night to park at a truck stop, $10.00 to take a shower, etc.. Then when you need tires , roughly $4 to $5oo for tires. And if you did,nt buy a new large car, $19.000 for a new particle trap muffler next year, and another $2 to $5,000 for a black box, so state patrol and DOT can check you , so that you can provide evidence against yourself, to get a little slip of paper with the officers autograph on it. I could go on, but even us old poots have to sleep a little bit. So for you who want to get in on the big money, run right down in the morning to your local dealer,but hurry , as there may not be any left. Have fun.

Roadapple, I think everyone knows the hassles of on the road trucking. You do have you share of problems, but what everyone is trying to say is that this is a natural disaster. People who feed you and your family are being forced out of business because of one of the most severe droughts in recent history. People are making good money off of others misfortune. I just don't think it is right. People should lend a hand to help folks out when they are in need, and not take their arm and leg in the process. I think the best thing to do for those in Texas is to just sell your stock, and rebuy in a year or two. If you have some special stock that you just want to keep, you may try and get a rancher in another part of the country to keep a few head for you until next year when you start rebuilding. Truck the cattle to them and pay them a fee to feed them through the winter. It would be easier than hauling several tons of hay to the cow. I am sorry this is happening to your guys.

ddg1263 said:
People are making good money off of others misfortune. I just don't think it is right. People should lend a hand to help folks out when they are in need, and not take their arm and leg in the process.quote]
I have sold my hay at the same price this yr that I do anyother yr
as for lending a hand and helping folks out
how many of them folks your helping are gonna lend a hand and pay for a new tire if I blow one out when I am hauling their hay without making any money
or how many are going to help pay my insurance and IFTA tax or DOT and UCR registration
if my truck can't make money hauling I will leave it sit at the house where it isn't costing me anything
the rates guys are getting aren't extreme it is what they need to stay operatong day in and day out

It is a huge hassle dealing with DOT, weight limits, and permits for sure. The government should step in and allow over size loads for hay hauling to the drought stricken areas. As far as the money goes, a trucker made just over 1000 dollars net this past Saturday on me (1600 gross). It was a nice day's wages. Not many cowboys make a grand a day from their wages. I know not every day goes that good for them but they can make very good money especially if they own their truck. Truckers earn their money for sure. Life on the road is hard, but what is happening here is changing the beef industry as we know it.

Angus Cowman":1874k9qy said:
ddg1263":1874k9qy said:
People are making good money off of others misfortune. I just don't think it is right. People should lend a hand to help folks out when they are in need, and not take their arm and leg in the process.quote]
I have sold my hay at the same price this yr that I do anyother yr
as for lending a hand and helping folks out
how many of them folks your helping are gonna lend a hand and pay for a new tire if I blow one out when I am hauling their hay without making any money
or how many are going to help pay my insurance and IFTA tax or DOT and UCR registration
if my truck can't make money hauling I will leave it sit at the house where it isn't costing me anything
the rates guys are getting aren't extreme it is what they need to stay operatong day in and day out
AG, I defiantly do not think anyone wants you to go backwards on your hauls, but some go overboard on their pricing. How many loads go out of Texas to other states and carry an empty load back. The trip has been paid for and it would be gravy to bring a load of hay back to those ranchers in need. However, many truckers are making the trip money plus some on both hauls. I am just saying these guys need help.

ddg1263":3q9hiu27 said:
It is a huge hassle dealing with DOT, weight limits, and permits for sure. The government should step in and allow over size loads for hay hauling to the drought stricken areas. As far as the money goes, a trucker made just over 1000 dollars net this past Saturday on me (1600 gross). It was a nice day's wages. Not many cowboys make a grand a day from their wages. I know not every day goes that good for them but they can make very good money especially if they own their truck. Truckers earn their money for sure. Life on the road is hard, but what is happening here is changing the beef industry as we know it.
They don't do that day in and day out plus if the lose a tire their goes $500 of that $1000 or lose a clutch, drive shaft, wheel bearing or a 1000 other things that go wrong on a daily basis
All your seeing was what he made that day not what he spends every month or yr for upkeep and maintenance

you say he cleared $1000 what about the fuel it took to get him back home
it cost right at $2.00 pr mile to run a truck for all miles ran loaded or empty so if he ran 800 miles round trip he MIGHT have made $100 clear that day out of the $1600 you paid him

ddg1263":w6f84j84 said:
Roadapple, I think everyone knows the hassles of on the road trucking. You do have you share of problems, but what everyone is trying to say is that this is a natural disaster. People who feed you and your family are being forced out of business because of one of the most severe droughts in recent history. People are making good money off of others misfortune. I just don't think it is right. People should lend a hand to help folks out when they are in need, and not take their arm and leg in the process. I think the best thing to do for those in Texas is to just sell your stock, and rebuy in a year or two. If you have some special stock that you just want to keep, you may try and get a rancher in another part of the country to keep a few head for you until next year when you start rebuilding. Truck the cattle to them and pay them a fee to feed them through the winter. It would be easier than hauling several tons of hay to the cow. I am sorry this is happening to your guys.

I might PM you with my address. I'm having sme misfortune and I could use a check from you.

I'm not sure how people get through the education system without learning about the free market. Perhaps because government runs education and wants everyone to be treated fairly and so distributes wealth so there is no misfortune. At least until the whole system goes bankrupt.

How do we know when to give someone a break because of some misfortune? There are businesses going under all the time because of misfortune or changes in the market, or poor management, etc. Should we prop them all up?

If the people with misfortune are able to pay what you consider extreme prices, then they can't be hurting too bad. In fact, they might be glad to pay someone enough to make them interested in helping them. In a free market, the way you can tell if the prices are too high is NOBODY WILL BUY! When we haul cattle to the sale, we try to get the highest price possible until nobody is willing to pay any more. We don't take less because of all the poor people who can't afford beef because of misfortune.

The alternative to this method is to have a government committee determining a fair price for everything. Problem is that reduces incentive to produce, and we all end up with less. This was all tried in the Soviet Union and elsewhere and didn't turn out too well.

Sure, if a guy wants to give charity, fine. But then people become dependent on it and don't prepare for the next calamity. Build a house on the beach and FEMA or your neighbor will bail you out.

Yes, it has been one amazing thread. Seems like a lot of people want to bash the hay producers or truckers for making a living.

As for my experience, the hay producers out East (Miss, La, Ala, etc) have been doing a good job of providing hay to Texas at a reasonable cost, and not jacking up the prices. The truckers I have dealt with have also been fair in the prices they have charged - they have to make a living too. Now, the brokers after that, well that's a different story.

When I read a thread like this I think of what the farmers instuction manual say's.

Leviticus 19:9 9 "When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. 10 And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God."

Caustic Burno":1aljbm0g said:
When I read a thread like this I think of what the farmers instuction manual say's.

Leviticus 19:9 9 "When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. 10 And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God."

:D :D :D

Also in Genesis 41 Joseph interprits the Pharaoh's dream so that they store from the years of plenty so that they have for the years of drought

Latest posts