'Out in the country' internet

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
What is everyone's experiences with internet service, 'hot spots', cell phone boosters, ATT not availbale in the area solutions, etc. etc. when cell service is crap and major internet providers aren't available in your area.

What works and what doesn't? (especially in KY)

Thanks!
Justin

I use AT&T. Hotspots use a lot of data but plenty of unlimited plans now. In rural KY, there is no easy solution.

Verizon is a total failure in my area.

Verizon, unlimited data and MiFi. It costs way too much but was the only provider with decent reception out here in the country. We are so far out Domino's does not deliver here. NW GA.

torogmc81":focqmkn6 said:
What is everyone's experiences with internet service, 'hot spots', cell phone boosters, ATT not availbale in the area solutions, etc. etc. when cell service is crap and major internet providers aren't available in your area.

What works and what doesn't? (especially in KY)

Thanks!
Justin

What area of Ky?

We have verizon unlimited on our phones and have their wireless internet . I use my phone hotspot for my laptop and we use the wireless internet for TV. It gets most shows on Netflix and gets Youtubes, but others like HBO takes faster service. We've been so TV limited for so long, that there is almost a lifetime of series on Netflix to last us years. Thinking about cutting the dish cord.. We are way out, and don't even have a dominos within 40 miles....but dang, we do get wireless service...thank god.

Love using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop...works 95% of the time flawless....with a burp here and there..

We went to Exede (wild blue) satellite and like it better then any of the others we've tried

We have wireless internet that comes off of the Elevator 2 miles away. Works fine, but if you're gaming it can cause high ping and lag.

Really bugs me when I can't get a solid ping while I'm trying to pwn noobs in CS:GO. :lol:

dun":3lusk5kb said:
We went to Exede (wild blue) satellite and like it better then any of the others we've tried
Is that the same as what Statewide offers? How bad is the lag? Is the cost 69.99 /month?

Around here we have a local provider (Lyttonnet) that set up their own network.. I used to do the hotspot from my phone, and it was alright for a while, but expensive for what you got.. and with 1 bar of service if the phone is in *just* the right place, it wasn't terribly reliable either

torogmc81":1q44d9v1 said:
dun":1q44d9v1 said:
Is that the same as what Statewide offers? How bad is the lag? Is the cost 69.99 /month?
Don;t know. Isn;t noticable. 80 bucks

Verizon is ending their "unlimited" plans and will again begin throttling smartphone videos..kinda like it was before their "unlimited' plan went into effect last Feb.

Verizon Wireless will start throttling video streams to resolutions as low as 480p on smartphones this week. Most data plans will get 720p video on smartphones, but customers won't have any option to completely un-throttle video.

1080p will be the highest resolution provided on tablets, effectively ruling out 4K video on Verizon's mobile network. Anything identified as a video will not be given more than 10Mbps worth of bandwidth. This limit will affect mobile hotspot usage as well.

Verizon started selling unlimited smartphone data plans in February of this year, and the carrier said at the time that it would deliver video to customers at the same resolution used by streaming video companies. "We deliver whatever the content provider gives us. We don't manipulate the data," Verizon told Ars in February.

That changes beginning on Wednesday, both for existing customers and new ones. The changes were detailed today in an announcement of new unlimited data plans.

More at the link.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... p-or-720p/

Brute 23":3j5j17vk said:
I'm not sure about KY but we use a lot of cell boosters at work. Every truck has one. For me a cell booster is a must have. We have larger ones mounted on all our field trailers also. They are pricey but worth every penny IMO.

You get what you pay for too. Go ahead and spend the money for a good one or you won't be happy with what it does.

Brute 23":fku0q7zm said:
I'm not sure about KY but we use a lot of cell boosters at work. Every truck has one. For me a cell booster is a must have. We have larger ones mounted on all our field trailers also. They are pricey but worth every penny IMO.
I have one, with the antenna mounted outside one of the upstairs windows, and lead-in cable run thru the wall to the amp and inside antenna. I think it was a little over $300 4 years ago at Best Buy.
Tried a cheap one first, that stuck to the inside of a window and worked as long as you were in that room, but we needed one for the whole house, so returned it and got a better one. Wilson Electronics I believe it is. Probably need to replace it now since when we bought ours, 3G had just come out and this one doesn't seem to work as well with 4G.
They are now more expensive tho.

For cell we use verizon. Before we got rid of our land line (which always had issues), I drove around the farm with a couple of different people that had various cell companys. On the back half of the farm, verizon was the only one that got service consistantly. There is one spot about about 50x50 that we don;t get service. I didn;t try every square foot but even in the furthest and lowest point we got a signal from them. All the others petered out a 1/4 mile from there.

GAonmymind":ns1unle1 said:
Verizon, unlimited data and MiFi. It costs way too much but was the only provider with decent reception out here in the country. We are so far out Domino's does not deliver here. NW GA.

The Domino's comment doesn't mean much here. If you live outside of city limits, they do not deliver.

Latest posts