Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of our new Shorthorn bull

11Na.jpg

11Nrear.jpg

He is 3 years old
BW - 90 lbs in Jan
WW - 820 lbs in Sept

Rod":3rlkatid said:
Good looking bull, do you know what size of calves he's throwing?

Thanks, I only saw info on 3 of his bull calves (in a catalog we recieved). Their BW's are in the 90 lb range and WW's are Jan calf 875, Mar calf 775 and Apr calf 730 lbs. We didn't see any info on the heifers, but the guy said he was keeping them all. Anyways, he should work good on our cows.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3k9facnp said:
A 90 pound birthweight would have me a little leary of this bull. You might be okay with "older" cows but I definately would not use this bull on heifers that is for certain. I have seen some darned fine looking bulls before I would have purchased them to but seeing as how their birthweight was 102 pounds I wasnt about to risk it.

90 lbs doesn't worry me much. Our average BW is around 95lbs and we have a some that hit 110+. Now, I will shy away from BW's above 100lbs. We probably won't use him on heifers, but the bulls we use on heifers have 75-85 lb BW's. Do you weigh your own calves (just curious)?

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":18weks7q said:
Yes I do weigh them. I take em to the local rock quarry. They have scales there that they weigh trucks on. I take the truck and trailer down there and weigh it and write down the weight. Then I go back to the house get the calf and put it in the trailer and take it and weigh again on the scales. However many more pounds that adds to the weight is how much the calf weighs roughly.

I was just wondering, cause a lot of people preach light birthweight, but have no idea what their own calves weigh....

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":28pta6x8 said:
I understand totally. Some people preach it and then dont know exactly how much their calves weigh. This way Im able to tell my customer within a few pounds as to how much the calves average. Nearly all the calves I have had this year on the farm averaged between 68-82 pounds at birth.
Your rock quarry must have a better set of scales than mine if they can get accurate weights to the pound on a hundred pound calf when the total weight is 8 or 10 thousand pounds.

ollie'":c9eq5ov6 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":c9eq5ov6 said:
I understand totally. Some people preach it and then dont know exactly how much their calves weigh. This way Im able to tell my customer within a few pounds as to how much the calves average. Nearly all the calves I have had this year on the farm averaged between 68-82 pounds at birth.
Your rock quarry must have a better set of scales than mine if they can get accurate weights to the pound on a hundred pound calf when the total weight is 8 or 10 thousand pounds.

Kinda what I was thinking.

I think the measuring tape on the foot would be more accurate

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":21rt91b2 said:
Yes I do weigh them. I take em to the local rock quarry. They have scales there that they weigh trucks on. I take the truck and trailer down there and weigh it and write down the weight. Then I go back to the house get the calf and put it in the trailer and take it and weigh again on the scales. However many more pounds that adds to the weight is how much the calf weighs roughly.
Maw
Do you weigh the truck and trailer or just the trailer.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":32dssbne said:

I thought big scales like this can be off as much as 50 lb. Bet the mom also does not like you taking her newborn baby for an hour trip the day it is born?

I weigh mine at the stock yards a few months after they are born :D

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":hknxr75p said:
I dont know. Alls I know is I weigh em there and it seems accurate thus far. Course Im not eduficated at some high class university but its fairly accurate. Thats how alot of farmers round here weigh their cattle. She dont care that I take it. Well most dont anyways. Cept one brangus cow she gets mad if you so much as walk in the same pasture with her and the baby for about 2 weeks. Another reason that the scales seem correct is because I know a feller where I sale alot of my calves there at the knoxville livestock center and he lets me weigh em there sometimes to when they dont have a sale going on.

I, (as well as a few others I'm sure) am assuming you are talking about weighing your newborn calves. If this is correct, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a weigh tape, or scale setup, or even a bathroom scale to use rather than hooking up a trailer every time you want to weigh a calf??

Can't imagine what they would say at the scales when I pulled across.....

Probably would start out with....get the _ _ _ _ out of here!

CW

Latest posts