Organic garden bug control

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin

Reaction score
To a gallon of water add:

1/2 cup granulated sugar or cane molasses (black strap doesn't work)
1/2 cup Diatomacious Earth
1 teaspoon liquid kelp
1 teaspoon vinegar (ph control)
1/4 to 1/2 cup fish emusion
1/2 cup enzyme such as Nitron A-35 or use a few drops of soap to aid stick power to leaves.
1 teaspoon coloidal minerals - if you have access to good ones

Mix well - strain into pressure sprayer.

I spray once a week but have sprayed more often when dealing with pests. Just remember the fertilizer requires the plants have plenty of moisture.

The main "pest" control ingredient is the sugar.

Spray plant before 10AM or after 6PM. These are the times the plant absorbs the nutrients. The idea is to raise the Brax (sugar) level of the leaves. When Brax is sufficient, bugs leave plants alone. THose that dare anyway, can't expel the gas made from the sugary leaves and explode.

If you put crushed granite rock in the garden before planting , it greatly improves bug resistance.
http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/crushed-granite.html

If you spray the mix on corn silks as soon as you start seeing them, you'll have bug free corn - at least we do.

Val

Val, we've had pretty good luck just dusting everything with a good layer of Diatomaceous Earth. Takes out about every bug that gets it on them.

TexasBred":7jg8pljo said:
Val, we've had pretty good luck just dusting everything with a good layer of Diatomaceous Earth. Takes out about every bug that gets it on them.
Works for us and it's cheep. Just reapply after a rain or watering.

WOW thanks!! I have to try this. We grow completely organic but have trouble with the buggies. I look forward to trying this! Does it have any effect of squash bugs? Now those little buggers are something!

vclavin":rl041kbu said:
To a gallon of water add:

1/2 cup granulated sugar or cane molasses (black strap doesn't work)
1/2 cup Diatomacious Earth
1 teaspoon liquid kelp
1 teaspoon vinegar (ph control)
1/4 to 1/2 cup fish emusion
1/2 cup enzyme such as Nitron A-35 or use a few drops of soap to aid stick power to leaves.
1 teaspoon coloidal minerals - if you have access to good ones

Mix well - strain into pressure sprayer.

I spray once a week but have sprayed more often when dealing with pests. Just remember the fertilizer requires the plants have plenty of moisture.

The main "pest" control ingredient is the sugar.

Spray plant before 10AM or after 6PM. These are the times the plant absorbs the nutrients. The idea is to raise the Brax (sugar) level of the leaves. When Brax is sufficient, bugs leave plants alone. THose that dare anyway, can't expel the gas made from the sugary leaves and explode.

If you put crushed granite rock in the garden before planting , it greatly improves bug resistance.
http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/crushed-granite.html

If you spray the mix on corn silks as soon as you start seeing them, you'll have bug free corn - at least we do.

Val

ToBe...theoretically it's suppose to kill all bugs that have external skeletons. But it doesn't discriminate.. it gets the good and the bad. When I bought my home place the yard was full of ticks....thousands... I just walked around the yard throwing out handfuls of the stuff, spreading it as well as possible. A week latter I dont' think there was a tick or anything else left in the yard. I've also rubbed it in the dog's fur just for the heck of it. Works great on flies too.

I forgot about this thread. I've also just thrown it on the plant. I prefer to spray it on as it stays better and it's easier to get it under the leaves. You just have to be sure to use a surfactant in the mix to aid sticking ability - I use the enzyme but you can use a few drops of soap. Also the mix is a foliar feeding system as well. I was told. plants do things in 2 week intervals. growing, flowering, setting fruit, putting on new roots. etc. Not sure in which order, but anyway, using kelp intensifies whatever the plant is doing at the time of spraying.
Now if it will dry up enough so I can HAVE a garden!!!!
Valerie
How are your gardens growing? May as well enjoy yours till mine gets going - lol

Latest posts