Organic and Nonorganic Trailer Sharing?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowlick88

Reaction score
If a trailer belongs to an organic farm is it okay for someone with non organic cows to use it or would that somehow harm the farms certification? Or is it just something risky to do? Or is it fine? :D Thanks for any info!

cowlick88":2f7g7jed said:
If a trailer belongs to an organic farm is it okay for someone with non organic cows to use it or would that somehow harm the farms certification? Or is it just something risky to do? Or is it fine? :D Thanks for any info!

That would depend on which organic certifier you ask, or which direction the wind is from. Thye are the most inconsistant regulators/regulations I have ever dealt with.

I am not an organic grower, but I manage a food grade grain processing facility. We process both conventional and organic grains. We use commercial trucks to haul alot of our Organic grains into us. They just need a signed clean trailer affidavit. A washout receipt never hurts for the file.

sim.-ang.king":20iac285 said:
Maybe some nonorganic meat in that trailer will help the organic trash taste better. ;-)

I don't know if I would go that far. I have eaten organic grain fed and grass fed beef, both were good.

I don't have anything against organic growers, some are much better at it than others. Some are better than conventional.

The regulators and certifiers are the interesting ones to deal with.

cowlick88":3sn60s8j said:

Trailer needs a thorough clean out and something written down and signed to state that it's been cleaned before it gets used to transport organic products again. The organic farmer will just keep that declaration on file in case the big boys check up on him.
Or it might be fine. The certifier can say if it's okay or not.

Latest posts