optimal herd size

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
i am not sure i even know how to ask this properly, but here goes anyway..

around here people generally graze from early april - late nov and feed hay in the winter.. i can do this with about 60 head right now. and it takes about 5 rolls of hay per head to feed them thru the winter.

if i cut my herd by 20%, reckon how much less hay per head i could get by with. with only 48 head grazing, there should be considerably much more grass standing at the end of nov and not as much needed in early spring. thus hopefully not as much haying time required..

i tried to figure this on a 20% and a 33% reduction in herd size, considering the extra grazing days that should be available, etc.. on paper it looks to me like one could make just about as much money at 2/3's capacity as he can at full capacity. i guess i am wondering where the point of diminishing return is.

i know lots of variables can play into this, but just using the givens above, is there any merit to this?

maybe someone has done this or seen a study of some sort on this.

thanks

jt

thanks dj and papaw..

i guess with the high price of hay and it being harder to come by i am looking at some other options.. i know winter forage is one, but as dry as it was last year it wasnt a good option.. hardly anyone around here got a decent stand of winter grasses up. and from the look of things, this year may not be any better.

i havent tried stockpiling grass before, but that is what i am thinking of doing this year and was thinking of doing it by reduction in numbers.. hopefully cutting 1-2 rolls of hay per head off the hay bill.

also i will most likely be feeding more cotton trash modules. can get them cheaper than hay.

thanks

jt

jt":2ijbib6d said:
thanks dj and papaw..

i guess with the high price of hay and it being harder to come by i am looking at some other options.. i know winter forage is one, but as dry as it was last year it wasnt a good option.. hardly anyone around here got a decent stand of winter grasses up. and from the look of things, this year may not be any better.

i havent tried stockpiling grass before, but that is what i am thinking of doing this year and was thinking of doing it by reduction in numbers.. hopefully cutting 1-2 rolls of hay per head off the hay bill.

also i will most likely be feeding more cotton trash modules. can get them cheaper than hay.

thanks

jt

Rice bran could be an option for winter feed used to be pretty reasonable by the ton.

yep.. caustic i havent bought any in a little while, but was able to get it for about $80-100 ton (cant remember exactly), but have to travel a ways to get it.

problem is, i am not big enough to handle an 18 wheeler load of it, but too big for what i can haul and the distance i have to haul it. i might try to find someone i can hire to haul a medium load this year for me.

i have fed out weaned calves with it and really like it though. my cattle like it better than corn.

thanks

jt

Latest posts