Size of hay roll

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Which has more hay a 4x5 or a 5x4 roll? I know there's lots of variables and weighing them would be best but assuming both where rolled equally which size would have more hay in it?

So a 4x5 has more hay than a 5x4. Thanks Dun I looked and could fine how to figure cubic feet on a roll.

No a 5x4 bale has more hay than a 4 x5. The radius affects volume more than the height. Volume = 3.14 x (radius^2) x height. The radius is listed first on bale size and height second. Height would be measured as if the bale is turned up on its end like a cylinder or cup. If you look at a bale the way it is in a field you may substitute the term height for length. But the formula stays the same.

Just think about it as if you are a beer drinker would you like a tall skinny glass or a shorter much wider one.

Your right I must of done something wrong first time when I did it. My friend that has been looking for a roller found a 375 john deere and thought that there would be less hay per roll than a 4x5 roller and I wasn't sure. Thanks for the help

That is the same baler I run. What i have weighed a bale will weigh around 950. This is a great size to stack, but a pain in the rear to haul side by side on narrow roads. The bales actually measure 5'4"wide so I am close to 11 ft when hauling this way.

Using pi x 4dx5h get 62.83 and using pi x 5dx4h I get 62.83. is my figuring wrong here if not looks like the same amount of hay.

hillbilly beef man":2oubfjl3 said:
That is the same baler I run. What i have weighed a bale will weigh around 950. This is a great size to stack, but a pain in the rear to haul side by side on narrow roads. The bales actually measure 5'4"wide so I am close to 11 ft when hauling this way.
Amazing how much difference that extra 4" can make too if you're trying to stack inside a 20' x 40' barn too. The extra 4" adds up. :(

hurleyjd":3jlrxxso said:
Using pi x 4dx5h get 62.83 and using pi x 5dx4h I get 62.83. is my figuring wrong here if not looks like the same amount of hay.
You had to have something wrong. 5x4 comes to around 79 while the 4x5 is around 63.

dun":hyxiv6bu said:
hurleyjd":hyxiv6bu said:
You had to have something wrong. 5x4 comes to around 79 while the 4x5 is around 63.

Yep used the dia. Should have used r squared.

hurleyjd":3ac1tf8v said:
dun":3ac1tf8v said:
hurleyjd":3ac1tf8v said:

Yep used the dia. Should have used r squared.
Or you could just fill in the blanks in the link I posted.

What dun said.

on a 5' around by 4' tall (wide) bale
4 x (2.5*2.5*pi) = 78.5 cu ft

on a 4' around by 5' tall bale
5 x (2x2xpi) = 62.8 cu ft

Having said that, an older 5x4 may not have as much as a new 4x5 baler. My 4x5 JD consistently makes bales around 1000lbs. And as mentioned, more manageable to haul on the road. Don't see a 5x4 around here too often though, or a 4x6 for that matter.

Supa Dexta":ezd59byp said:
Having said that, an older 5x4 may not have as much as a new 4x5 baler. My 4x5 JD consistently makes bales around 1000lbs. And as mentioned, more manageable to haul on the road. Don't see a 5x4 around here too often though, or a 4x6 for that matter.

+1. Most of these posts are not taking into account the pressure the baler operates under. My old baler with spring tension made 5x5 bales weighing about 800 lbs. I still make 5x5 bales with my 2000 model baler and hydraulic tension, but the same 5x5 dimension bales weigh 1300 lbs.

Truckers here do not like to deal with anything less than a modern full size 5x6 bale. A couple winters ago I unloaded a couple truckloads of 5x6 bales for my aunt. IIRC, 28 bales per load. Same truck, same driver, hay from the same source, on 2 different days. Those bales weighed just over 1700 lbs. I could easily handle one bale at a time on the loader. Tried it and was successful once, but loader did not want to lift 2 bales at a time :p

They aren't taking the pressure because the question was about cubic footage in the bale and the OP specified the assumption they were rolled equally.

If you want to know how much hay is in a a pyramid shaped bale, just weigh it, and same goes for any other shape... but we might have to factor in moisture content there

John SD":2fx0l29r said:
Truckers here do not like to deal with anything less than a modern full size 5x6 bale.

Funny how regional things like this are. Around "here" you can't find anybody to haul bales wider than 4'. In fact that's whey I went from a 5x5 baler to a 4x5 baler because I could never find anybody who wanted to haul over width loads of hay.

Just remember a 6'x5' bale is bigger than a 5'x6' bale. Do the math 6x5 is 142 cu ft and a 5x6 is only 118 cu ft.

Latest posts