Herd seeder

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a Herd atv seeder for white clover and Amdro.

Do any of you guys have one and how well do you like it? Also, what type of mounting kit did you get? I'm using a Kawasaki Mule.

Thanks in advance.

I bought a I-92, 3 point, only 1 bolt holds crossbar to seeder frame, put a stud in where bolt was, and just pick it up and set on trailer hitch & tightin . This way I can use on anything w/ a trailer hitch + 3 point on tractor, you might as well go ahead and get the electric actuator to open/close the seed gate, its on a Kubota RTV.

I bought a I-92, 3 point, only 1 bolt holds crossbar to seeder frame, put a stud in where bolt was, and just pick it up and set on trailer hitch & tightin . This way I can use on anything w/ a trailer hitch + 3 point on tractor, you might as well go ahead and get the electric actuator to open/close the seed gate, its on a Kubota RTV.

I've used the herd seeder. The local feed dealer has a couple they loan out.
I have a Cabela's slinger bought to sling deer corn. I've used it for clover , ryegrass and fertilizer where it's impractical to get a tractor. I have to say for me. It's just as good.

shaz":hbsorfjn said:
I'm about to buy a Herd atv seeder for white clover and Amdro.

Do any of you guys have one and how well do you like it? Also, what type of mounting kit did you get? I'm using a Kawasaki Mule.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Herd I think it's the what they call the 550 model today, love it for small seed.
My running buddy that passed away earlier this year had the I92 mounted on his Mule.
His biggest complaint was the Mule and
keeping a steady speed.

A friend of mine adds clover seed to his feed when he wants to sow clover. The small seed passes through the cow and the cow does the work.

kilroy60":cf8bpg0c said:
A friend of mine adds clover seed to his feed when he wants to sow clover. The small seed passes through the cow and the cow does the work.

I've tried that. Zero success.

shaz":p96lkv04 said:
kilroy60":p96lkv04 said:

I've tried that. Zero success.
don't know about clover but whole oats will pass through a mule and grow good. Wonder if a cow having more than 1 stomach would have anything to do with them not growing. I guess a person could try rye or oats in the cow feed. whole corn will pass through a cow if you want to feed the turkeys.

The old 'feeding' clover seed to 'seed' a pasture is a really poor method, and mostly just a really expensive protein supplement for the cow. Read this article on a comparison between 'feeding' and frost-seeding:
https://hayandforage.com/article-1193-t ... again.html

A Herd seeder is on my want list for purchase in the near future. Have one of those crappy Moultrie seeder types that I bought nearly 20 years ago... guess they're fine for deer/turkey hunters who don't care how much seed and $$$ they pour out, but I could never get it 'calibrated' to distribute anything like the proper amount of clover seed for a pasture... either way too much or not enough, and no good way to adjust it.

The clover expense isn't a big deal and I don't care if I put out 2lbs or 5. 10lbs to the acre is a problem though.

Lucky_P":347fcxdp said:
The old 'feeding' clover seed to 'seed' a pasture is a really poor method, and mostly just a really expensive protein supplement for the cow. Read this article on a comparison between 'feeding' and frost-seeding:
https://hayandforage.com/article-1193-t ... again.html

A Herd seeder is on my want list for purchase in the near future. Have one of those crappy Moultrie seeder types that I bought nearly 20 years ago... guess they're fine for deer/turkey hunters who don't care how much seed and $$$ they pour out, but I could never get it 'calibrated' to distribute anything like the proper amount of clover seed for a pasture... either way too much or not enough, and no good way to adjust it.

I can get a pretty even cover with a cone type seeder on a ATV. Definitely as good if not better than on the tractor. I didn't find the herd that much better.
If you want a real improvement. You'll have to go to the drill.

shaz":1fkcevwb said:
The clover expense isn't a big deal and I don't care if I put out 2lbs or 5. 10lbs to the acre is a problem though.
You must either be trying to seed a small pasture, have access to really cheap clover, or have a lot bigger bank account than me lol. Clover seed is expensive as hell.

You can also put clover seed down by mixing in with your fertilizer. Especially, if you get it out early (like frost seeding).
CallMeFence - thanks for that article. I "stole" it for my next newsletter.

Lucky_P":35jjg57d said:
The old 'feeding' clover seed to 'seed' a pasture is a really poor method

Very well written article, but yet another incomplete comparison that reduces the value of the research.

The low cost grow it yourself method to feed clover seed is via. "black clover hay". You wait the the RC seed heads mature, windrow for 10 to 14 days in mid summer, bale the dusty black twigs, and then feed it back where you want the clover. I estimate my stuff runs over 50# seed per 5x6 and a cow pile looks like a chia pet w/ well over 10 seedlings per sq inch.

The problem is I have fed this while bale grazing. The seed germinates very very early in an exposed cow pie, and is prone to a total freeze kill... Trying now to feed in late spring.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2krqzb0e said:
You can also put clover seed down by mixing in with your fertilizer. Especially, if you get it out early (like frost seeding).

Have you personally tried this and it works better? I would be willing to give that a shot.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3rek01pw said:

Thank you very much ma'am but it was lucky that posted the article.

Latest posts