Opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Opinions everybody? Any questions, ask!

IMG_0993.jpg

She is ~3mths pregnant, so will probably calve March/April (the guy who preg tests usually tends to underestimate a bit).

No, they're not. Purebred Shorthorns are just that... purebred.
Why do you ask?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beef11 wrote:
Quote:
She is ~3mths pregnant, so will probably calve March/April

A fall calver.

AUTUMN!!

SORRY!

Just look at it like this. When she calves it will be spring....here, whatever there. What direction does the water flow in your toilet? I've never been to the southern hemisphere but i'm curious if the coreolis (spelling) effect is for real.

Killala":33kv7rgb said:
:D So no criticisms? I've been bracing myself for them!

I'm a lousy judge, but the only thing that detracts from her is the topline isn;t as flat as I like. But, based on my rule of only keeping a heifer that I would be willingto buy, if I cold find actual straightbred Shorthorn heifers that good around here I'ld have a pasture full of them.

dun

dun":h6ogj1rq said:
Killala":h6ogj1rq said:

I'm a lousy judge, but the only thing that detracts from her is the topline isn;t as flat as I like. But, based on my rule of only keeping a heifer that I would be willingto buy, if I cold find actual straightbred Shorthorn heifers that good around here I'ld have a pasture full of them.

dun

I'd agree with you on the topline, but knowing the heifer as I do, she wasn't like that before she was bred, so I'm not sure if her back has dipped a bit from carrying a calf (tho she is still in the early stages... I'm not sure!). I've also seen far worse toplines on show animals so am not worried. Still deciding whether or not I will show her, I think I probably will take her to a few local shows and see how she goes against my heifer which has just calved.

Thanks holly. I'm sure she will be a good cow. Before deciding on which one I wanted I went and took a look at all the girl's mothers and their calves, and I absolutely loved this girl's mother... she has a calf at foot this year, by the same bull, which I think may even be better than this one.

Killala":3jg14z38 said:

I missed the slight sway of the back that dun caught. But I went back and looked at her since you want us to say something bad :lol:

No apparent bad quality jumps out at me. She has volume, seems structurally correct. Looks like a good replacement.

I am sure she is not perfect but a person might need a nicer heifer beside her to nit pick her in comparison. Other than that I would buy her if at auction and I could afford her.

Only other thing I can slightly say is maybe she is could use a little more bone, but I really do not know how much PB Shorthorn have, that would be comparing to club calf cows I look for that are Angus x Maine x Simmental.

Only other thing that would make her nicer is if she was a blue roan. Them blue roans sure are pretty! :lol: But that is my personal taste. Been looking for a nice Blue Roan for daughter to show the last year or so.

blue roan :x that's a dirty word here!!! :p
I have to disagree with the comment on bone, I think. That is one of the top reasons I had for selecting her, she was one of the heifers with the most bone in the group. I like my cows strong and thick and she fits in well! :)