Opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Killala":27c7r2tn said:
blue roan :x that's a dirty word here!!! :p
I have to disagree with the comment on bone, I think. That is one of the top reasons I had for selecting her, she was one of the heifers with the most bone in the group. I like my cows strong and thick and she fits in well! :)

I was just trying to be nit picky really nothing wrong with her I like her a lot.

Is Blue Roan generally not as favored or is just your personal choice? Which does better in the Show ring or do judges not favor one over the other?

aplusmnt":1b97j0wu said:
Killala":1b97j0wu said:
I have to disagree with the comment on bone, I think. That is one of the top reasons I had for selecting her, she was one of the heifers with the most bone in the group. I like my cows strong and thick and she fits in well! :)

I was just trying to be nit picky really nothing wrong with her I like her a lot.

Is Blue Roan generally not as favored or is just your personal choice? Which does better in the Show ring or do judges not favor one over the other?

:) I know you're being nit picky, and I like to see what people think. I personally don't think there's a hell of a lot wrong with her!

Blue roans don't exist here, unless it is in a commercial cross breeding program. You won't see a blue roan in a Shorthorn ring, it's not a native colour. Everyone I've ever spoken to here about the blue roans in the US are fully against it.... it's like they are trying to join the ranks of the Blacks, and losing the true type of the Shorthorn in the process.
Shorthorns aren't black!! Or blue-roan!!

Shorthornguy":1tcvwroh said:
Nice hiefer...she has about a half dozen twins in my pasture.
Good luck on showing her. Do you have any pure white shorthorns?

Thanks. I myself don't have any pure white Shorthorns but my boss has a few (he has 600 breeders, and of that there are probably 6 white cows). I don't have anything against them but they really are hard to sell down under. Station clients want solid reds, or reds with minimal white.
I'm going to have to be careful who I breed this heifer to if I want to avoid a white calf!

Killala":1jtmgnnq said:
aplusmnt":1jtmgnnq said:
Killala":1jtmgnnq said:

:) I know you're being nit picky, and I like to see what people think. I personally don't think there's a be nice of a lot wrong with her!

Blue roans don't exist here, unless it is in a commercial cross breeding program. You won't see a blue roan in a Shorthorn ring, it's not a native colour. Everyone I've ever spoken to here about the blue roans in the US are fully against it.... it's like they are trying to join the ranks of the Blacks, and losing the true type of the Shorthorn in the process.
Shorthorns aren't black!! Or blue-roan!!

Did not realize Blue roan was only gotten from Crossbreeding. I do not know a lot about Short horn except they are used a lot in crossing here for Club calves, mostly I think because of the good hair you can get.

I know I passed on a heifer at a sale 3 years ago that was solid white shorthorn. I looked at her hard and heavy for my daughter to show, but passed because I did not know how hard it would be to keep her white. She went for $3,000 dollars and a Year later Won over all Supreme Champion Heifer at the Tulsa Oklahoma State Fair which is tough especially with all the big Angus showers in the state. At the same sale there was a heifer that went for $30,000 that did not come close to accomplishments as this Shorthorn at a tenth the money. Made me sick I talked myself out of her.

Shouldn't matter what colour they are. I get frustrated here because people tend to see Black and think good, but see a good white Shorthorn and disregard it. I've seen plenty of whites that are as good if not better than our reds and roans. In fact one of the most influential bulls in Aussie Shorthorns (in my opinion) was white.

Is white or Roan a natural color or is there something hiding in the wood pile that got them there? Like you mentioned the blue roan being a cross with a black one.

Shorthorns come in white, red, roan, red and white, red little white. Black is an introduced colour. As black is a dominant gene that is why it tends to over ride the red gene that occurs naturally in Shorthorns. Blue roans generally occur when you cross a black with a roan, white or red and white, though can arise in other circumstances. My understanding is that it most commonly occurs from the black/roan cross, where white is also a fairly dominant gene.

In the background of your heifer pic is a red cow with a white switch and some white on her belly, can't see her head, my question is, do purebred shorthorns sometimes have a pattern of white similiar to a hereford? Besides colour how do shorthorns differ from herefords? I am asking because I have a cow coloured like a hereford, which I don't think is anything like a hereford.

I have a registered pure white shorthorn bull. So far about a third of the calves are white. One calf was pure white except for red ears. I have bred some of the white hiefers to a mostly red CF Trump son. So next spring we will see what color the calves are.

cowpunk'd":2qagvms2 said:
In the background of your heifer pic is a red cow with a white switch and some white on her belly, can't see her head, my question is, do purebred shorthorns sometimes have a pattern of white similiar to a hereford? Besides colour how do shorthorns differ from herefords? I am asking because I have a cow coloured like a hereford, which I don't think is anything like a hereford.

I've seen Shorthorn Hereford crosses showing the Hereford pattern, but I've never seen a pure Shorthorn like that. It is quite common for red Shorties to have a white belly and/or white tail. I don't believe you'd ever see a purebred with the markings of a Hereford... I'm quite sure it's purely genetic, like with Belties.
So, if you have a 'Hereford' cow, that doesn't look like a Hereford, it is more than likely she is crossbred.

Killala":k5q5rsw0 said:
:D So no criticisms? I've been bracing myself for them!
Of course there could be criticisms. Should be! Every animal being considered for breeding SHOULD be analyzed! If you have been "...bracing" yourself for criticisms, that leads me to suspect that you have some pretty serious opinions of this heifer yourself. What are they? Don't hold back just because she is yours! In other words, don't be "Barn Blind". Can you be objective?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":rj6dgocl said:
Killala":rj6dgocl said:
:D So no criticisms? I've been bracing myself for them!
Of course there could be criticisms. Should be! Every animal being considered for breeding SHOULD be analyzed! If you have been "...bracing" yourself for criticisms, that leads me to suspect that you have some pretty serious opinions of this heifer yourself. What are they? Don't hold back just because she is yours! In other words, don't be "Barn Blind". Can you be objective?

DOC HARRIS

:roll:
Of course there can be criticisms. However, there is very little I can find in this heifer that I dislike.... this heifer that was NOT bred by me.
Generally you have abit to say Doc, so tell me, what don't you like about this heifer?

Aplus - I know where there is a pretty nice blue roan heifer & steer at in OK. PM me if you are interested in the name. I have a soft spot for blue roans too!!

Killala -

Generally speaking, this heifer appears to be a fine example for her particular type - she tends to manifest traits expressing "Milking Shorthorn" characteristics. This is not to say that is a criticism - just a fact. Therefore, IF we are analyzing this heifer as a "Beef" matron, I would say that she lacks "Functional" Beef Cattle characteristics - such as Muscle Expressions, Skeletal Structure, Mammary Structure and general Beefy Appearance. I would prefer seeing more bone size, a deeper heart girth, and heavier hindquarters. She shows a strong, level top line, but lacks rump thickness and depth. She displays a classically feminine head and forequarters. Judging from THIS picture, she stands too close - both front and rear for a typical beef brood cow. Her front pasterns appear weak. The rear pasterns are difficult to see, therefore I am not able to comment on that characteristic.

IF we are judging this heifer as a Milking Shorthorn - or Dual-Purpose Breeder - she comes closer to the ideal standard than she does as a Beef Matron - however her udder development is lacking for her age.

DOC HARRIS

Heifer, doc, raised in drought conditions. I'd be concerned if you could see any udder development from this picture, and whilst I agree she is lacking in hindquarter substance, I don't hold that aginst her due to the conditions in which she has been raised.... I wouldn't expect her to look any better, in fact, she really should look worse, and so she really has proved her worth as an easy doer.... an essential trait in my opinion.
I think I have mentioned that I have seen her mother, grandmother and several sisters, both full and half. If this heifer breeds anything at all like the rest of her family, she is most certainly welcome to a place in my paddock as long as she likes.
In my opinion, she is a fine example of a Poll Shorthorn.

cattlemom":2ggnsa9m said:
Aplus - I know where there is a pretty nice blue roan heifer & steer at in OK. PM me if you are interested in the name. I have a soft spot for blue roans too!!

Check you PM, Thanks!

Thought I was going crazy I could not find the PM button, took me a while to realize for some reason I was not automatically logged in. Thought I been sniffing to much ammonia lately.