opinions on these chainsaw models

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Hey yall I am planning to buy a new saw. The models I am looking at are the Stihl ms362 and ms391 and the Husqvarna 562xp. I plan to purchase with a 24 or 25 inch bar. Can anybody offer an opinion on these models.

gertman":13exkd64 said:
Hey yall I am planning to buy a new saw. The models I am looking at are the Stihl ms362 and ms391 and the Husqvarna 562xp. I plan to purchase with a 24 or 25 inch bar. Can anybody offer an opinion on these models.
M-Tronic saws as I guess I am one who believes newer isn't always better. The saws you have listed are the new emission saws that as long as they run right they are good, when they don't expensive to work on. Coils and carburetors are very expensive and what you buy in those you are lucky to get a good one. If you could find a good low hour Stihl 036, MS360, MS361 I would pay top dollar for it and buy. I put a new carburetor on a 2016 Husqvarna 460 a few days ago and I needed four hands just about to put it on and the new carburetor wasn't cheap. A 25" bar is to much for a MS362 or MS391 as I have two Stihl 036s, two Stihl Ms 360s and a MS 390. You can use a full skip chain and they will do decent. The new saws are harder to work on too.

I agree, unless you only cut soft wood, 60cc isn't going to pull a 25" bar very well.

Ideally you'd want a 90cc, but 70cc is the minimum. Those models would be the MS461 and 372XP. The 372 being a very old, but reliable design. The 461 is a great saw too. Both makes have new 70cc models coming out soon, the 572XP and MS462.

I would not get an MS391. That's a plastic clamshell saw.

That Makita/Dolmar 7900 is another one to look at.

Husqvarna had some initial problems with Autotune, but that's all been worked out. You hardly see a problem with them, I have one and it's a great setup.

I have a 360 with a 25" bar and love it. No problem running that bar, I've even put a 36" bar on it when my 660 was down and it ran it fine but I wouldn't recommend that very often. Power to weight ratio is awesome. Perfect all around saw IMO

Have a 361 currently running a 16" bar on it. Have had 16,18,20 on it, 16 works for most of what I need - and is cheapest to run.

we have used and like both brands of chainsaws.running a stihl farmboss chain saw now.i think i gave $600 for the saw a few years ago.

It would help to have alittle more information.I'm not a chainsaw expert but have studied
them when making a purchase.
Are you going to cut firewood,timber,a few logs or all of these?How big are the trees you will be cutting?Softwood or hardwood?
I could tell you what I use but that won't do you any good if what we cut is different.

We have a Sthil MS 391 and so far so good. Been through half a dozen 20" bars, and working on our second 25" bar. Very easy starting, it'll be running by the third pull every time.

JW IN VA":a3qe8db0 said:
It would help to have alittle more information.I'm not a chainsaw expert but have studied
them when making a purchase.
Are you going to cut firewood,timber,a few logs or all of these?How big are the trees you will be cutting?Softwood or hardwood?
I could tell you what I use but that won't do you any good if what we cut is different.
Very little firewood, a mix of softwood and hardwood trees. I have alot and I mean alot of cutting to do around a recently acquired pasture, and the trees are all sizes.

If you have a lot of cutting to do,then I recommend you go with either the Husqvarna 562XP or an MS 362 like mine.Mine wears a 20"bar and does a fine job for us .Granted,we mostly cut firewood and he occasional large downed tree but I bought the 362 for those times.My favorite firewood and general purpose saw is an 026 Stihl.The newer MS 261 is more powerful and when this saw is gone,I would like to replace it with one of those.
My 362 has 3/8 pitch bar and chain and I've only run Stihl Ultra in my gas mix.
The number 1 thing you should be concerned with would be the dealer.How knowledgable they are and how well they offer repair and parts support would be major factors.Both are good brands and the 562/362 are pro grade saws.It's kind of" a Ford/Chevy thing". I won't say you can't pull a 24" bar,but that is getting into 70cc pro saw catagory.
If all of your cutting is 20" maximum,I'd look at the MS 261 or the 550XP/545 Husqvarna.Much lighter saws for extended periods of work and less money up front.A 16" bar would be good,although I run a .325 pitch 20" on my 026( big belly/old back :) :) )
Please think about a good pair of saw chaps.Much cheaper than a copay at the Emergency Room.Also highly recommend eye/ear protection.Pleaselet us know what you decide.

x2 on the chaps , went through this earlier this year, over 2k copay and 2wks lost wages . And a good pair of jeans .

Probably the best bang for the buck is a Wild Thing chainsaw. They are made by Husqvarna which bought out Poulan and are the same saw as the homeowners orange Husqvarna saws, but cost a lot less. I have two of them that I keep for loaner saws, but they are tough. Other than the AV setup (anti-vibration) on them not being as good they are as good as any IMO.

12761-b9d7abc44a25ea4e24a6ad02ee5b8dc5.jpg

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/prod ... index.html

This is the best chainsaw I've ever owned. Never heard of dolmar when I bought it. Apparently it is a big professional grade company (never see it in the box store), so you'll have to locate a dealer. Ate my Stihl for lunch. Used it after the hurricane a couple weeks ago, it cranked on the third pull after sitting in the shed for 6 months.

We sell Stihl at work and I would sell you the MS362 or if you really wanted the MS441 is back to being orderable and that would be very good with a 25" bar. The MS391 is in the farm and ranch line while the MS362 is in the professional line ( better pieces and design and oiler adjustment)

Franke":d8tsid7j said:
We sell Stihl at work and I would sell you the MS362 or if you really wanted the MS441 is back to being orderable and that would be very good with a 25" bar. The MS391 is in the farm and ranch line while the MS362 is in the professional line ( better pieces and design and oiler adjustment)
I was told to stay away from the MS362 and stay with the older style MS361.

I would check Echo as well.

Nesikep":f6jgingo said:
Franke":f6jgingo said:
I was told to stay away from the MS362 and stay with the older style MS361.

I would check Echo as well.
We've sold a number of the MS362's and people have been pleased. You just can't get a new MS361 new anymore. And if you came into the store we just have new nothing used.

Latest posts