• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

opinions on these calfs for sale

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
thinkin bout buying 6 or so. prices from 185-285. all weaned and backgrounded....whaddya think. i gotta see em in person but ill go check em out. i like em for the most part.
no mommas on premise tho..

hang on the pics wont werk...
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
9,925
Reaction score
0
Location
Alberta, Canada
Diesel, do you have weights on them and pics ? It will help people in your area to give an opinion..
 
OP
dieselbeef

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
They weigh 150 lbs. +- They are Beefmaster, Angus or Red Angus. Vacc., dewormed, on feed. 6 wks. old, not born on property, feeder calves recently weaned. Weaning more this week. I sold them all last week but will send you more pictures of what the new ones will look like. I also have 250-300 lb. heifers for $285. I have 20 of those.Thanks, Mike

thats the response i got from them from an email..seems like a fair enuff deal. better than goin to the market and seein em for 30 secs in the ring.

maybe the guy sellin em is even on here i dont know..that'd be funny wouldnt it :tiphat:
 

CattleHand

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
669
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
dieselbeef":15wnm1ny said:
They weigh 150 lbs. +- They are Beefmaster, Angus or Red Angus. Vacc., dewormed, on feed. 6 wks. old, not born on property, feeder calves recently weaned. Weaning more this week. I sold them all last week but will send you more pictures of what the new ones will look like. I also have 250-300 lb. heifers for $285. I have 20 of those.Thanks, Mike

thats the response i got from them from an email..seems like a fair enuff deal. better than goin to the market and seein em for 30 secs in the ring.

maybe the guy sellin em is even on here i dont know..that'd be funny wouldnt it :tiphat:

Just compairing price to weight, a 300lb heifer for $285 is not bad. Thats 95 cents a pound, now the only thing that would make that a bad deal is if they are just poor looking cattle that wouldn't sell very well. I dont have a comment for the 150lbs.
 

CattleHand

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
669
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
pictures would help. When I think of a 6 week old calf though, isnt being weaned already and on feed a bit early? Im best at just telling by their size. but you already have my opinion on the bigger calves, pictures of them also would just confirm it.
 

aussie_cowgirl

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,228
Reaction score
0
Location
Western Australia
They are a licorice all sorts mix aren't they. They do look very young. Are they only eating grass? I'd be worried about poddy belly if they are.
 

TheBullLady

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
3,537
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
lol... I thought that was a herd of deer at first! They're not the best looking calves, but I guess it depends on what you want them for. If you're talking about replacements, I'd say yuck, but if you're talking about feeding them up and reselling I guess they'd be okay. If I was going to raise something to resell, I'd prefer something better looking than these.
 

BC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
2,511
Reaction score
21
Location
Van Zandt County, TX
I would take a chance on them. The price is right. You will have to give them a little feed every day to make sure they have enough protein. When they weigh around 400, you can change them over to grass and minerals until they weigh 750 to 800 and are ready for the feedyard. The thing you have going for you is that you have time to grow your weigh out without much roll back.
 

CattleHand

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
669
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
BC":ug7t9liz said:
I would take a chance on them. The price is right. You will have to give them a little feed every day to make sure they have enough protein. When they weigh around 400, you can change them over to grass and minerals until they weigh 750 to 800 and are ready for the feedyard. The thing you have going for you is that you have time to grow your weigh out without much roll back.


If you have the facilities for grain (by that I mean your able to buy it in bulk enough that its not to expensive to feed and on hand) I think the 300 pound calves would be a decent gamble for the price. Maybe you could work down the price since they are so stringy, though the price is discounted. Those calves looked shy of 300 pounds to me.
 

BC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
2,511
Reaction score
21
Location
Van Zandt County, TX
I would use 16% dairy pellets if I could buy them in bulk. Has enough protien and some some energy. Those little guys will gain well on just a little feed each day.

Not all cattle have to be #1's to make money. A lot of thin 1 1/2 kind of calves will upgrade over time and with the right care.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
0
Location
South Georgia
I believe you could make money off them. They kinda look like calves off heifers to me so they might be a little slow to bloom.
 

Tatertot

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Location
North left central Texas
Why is this guy weaning calfs at 6wks? These calfs will never look right much less gain weight in an efficient manner unless you bottle them for a while. In that case you won't make any money either. I'm real curious how this turns out if you buy them. I'd be willing to bet that daily gain would be around a pound a day or less and they are pot bellied. Unless you bottle them of course. Take a pic for us before you resell them.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Look like typical dairy cross calves. They sell well enough when they'e little but will take a beating as 5 weights and higher.
 

Keren

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
3,415
Reaction score
0
Location
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Are they dairy influenced?

tatertot, how exactly do you propose that diesel starts bottle feeding at 6 WEEKS old? It was my understanding that these are dam raised calves. Or maybe I missed something ... if they were previously on the bottle then it wouldnt be too much of a chore to get them back on the bottle. But I personally wouldnt, I'd just get them onto a good calf starter and hay ration. I wean bottle calves around 7 weeks anyway. And I've successfully weaned as young as 4 weeks.
 

Tatertot

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Location
North left central Texas
Keren":1fbcklc3 said:
Are they dairy influenced?

tatertot, how exactly do you propose that diesel starts bottle feeding at 6 WEEKS old? It was my understanding that these are dam raised calves. Or maybe I missed something ... if they were previously on the bottle then it wouldnt be too much of a chore to get them back on the bottle. But I personally wouldnt, I'd just get them onto a good calf starter and hay ration. I wean bottle calves around 7 weeks anyway. And I've successfully weaned as young as 4 weeks.

Your right about bottling them. I'm wrong.
 
OP
dieselbeef

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,821
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
THANKS DUN..NICE JOB..PRECIATE THAT!
the calves in the pics are not the 300-400 lb hiefers hes got also. he didnt send any of them pics.
i want to keep them as replacements. got a lotta feed to throw at em since i sell citrus pellets.
no looking at the mommas tho as they werent raised by this seller.
worst i could do is hafta sell em if they dont werk out . as a 2yr old theyll do okay at the markets round here i guess.
im gonna go see em sat and maybe bring home 4 or 6 of em. ill be looking at the bigger ones already on pastuer he said hes got.
thanks for the input

i have no idea why they are weaning at 6 weeks..that seems rather odd to me also

ill post pics if i git to sat
 

Latest posts

Top