opinions on these calfs for sale

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":3iyau1fc said:
my cows are crap compared to what i see on this board....

Everyone is just posting pics of their average looking animals so they don't hurt your feelings. :D :D

twistedxranch":4mgj4sf6 said:
SirLoin2":4mgj4sf6 said:
Vett,

Nice looking animals.
I can't help but notice that all your ear tags are in the right ear. Why is that?
And they all appear to be of the same size, medium I believe. Why is that?
SL

I dont know unless his cows are registered. I know my breed association requires either all be left or all be right.
i tag my heifers in the right,, and steers in the left

SL, we tag in the left. Bangs tag and tattoo go in the right. You should just state your theory. No time for sherlock holmes guessing games...only thing I notice is that the two calves with tags are holding their ears down as if the tags were just put in. That's what ours do for about a day. We've had a few pot bellied calves. They were either like that because they were bottle calves or because their moms weren't giving them enough milk. In my experience, they never catch up to their peers.

backhoeboogie":110b8fqh said:
dieselbeef":110b8fqh said:

Everyone is just posting pics of their average looking animals so they don't hurt your feelings. :D :D

thanks fella..that makes me feel ALOT better... :tiphat: i guess i know alot less than i thought i did..but thats okay cuz i know more than some....and less than others so it all werks out

thansk for the help..keep showing me what i should be buyin and ill keep looking til i find em!

SirLoin2":1jg8ohns said:
Now if you see a 600 lb calf with no tag, what does that tell you about the seller?
Now if you see a 600 lb calf with a small tag, what does that tell you about the seller?
Now if you see 600 lb calves with some tags in the right ear and some in the left, and you are not told left is steers, right is heifers, what does that tell you about the seller?

Now if you see 20 600 lb steers and the numbers range from: lowest number being 3 and the highest number being 47, what does that tell you?
Now if a man says he has 2 or more groups of heifers for sale with different prices and they all have the same identical tags on them, on the same ear, but are not in numerical order per group, what does that tell you.

Now if a man says he has 2 or more groups of heifers for sale with different prices, and "not born on property" ( Diesel's second post) and
they all have the same identical tags on them, on the same ear, but are not in numerical order per group, what does that tell you?

Well what does it tell you? We dont tag most of ours. Some our bought with tags in and I suppose you could guess that if the tags in the ears are different they've been bought from somewhere else and this man didnt tag them himself. but that doesn't tell you if they are a good buy or not. I just dont see what you are getting at but would appreciate if you cleared it up.

SirLoin2":3j5rwvah said:
Re:
They are close to being the same size mostly because they are about the same age.
By "same size" I was referring to the tag size.
SL
:oops: Ahh, Ok. Every now and then some will get a cow tag because I run out of calf tags.

dieselbeef":whhowh81 said:
backhoeboogie":whhowh81 said:
dieselbeef":whhowh81 said:

thanks fella..that makes me feel ALOT better... :tiphat: i guess i know alot less than i thought i did..but thats okay cuz i know more than some....and less than others so it all werks out

thansk for the help..keep showing me what i should be buyin and ill keep looking til i find em!

That little man of yours you are raising is more important than any of this - and you know that.

SirLoin2":2hawsfn2 said:
Vett,
Re:
Every now and then some will get a cow tag because I run out of calf tags.
That's OK, I do the same thing.
I even use big tags on new borns and up when I treat them in the field for illness. It makes them a lot easier to find in the herd to check on them later. But the tag comes off the next time he/she is worked.

It's when you see the new born (small) tags on a 400 lber and up that you should be tipped off that nothing has been done to this animal since birth.Which means no worming, no vacination, etc etc.
See: What do ear tags tell you? Take 1. No tag.
SL
maybe so maybe not... but i doubt many producers put mutiple eartags from birth too weaning.....

SirLoin2":2yq1qm25 said:
Vett,
Re:
I even use big tags on new borns and up when I treat them in the field for illness. It makes them a lot easier to find in the herd to check on them later. But the tag comes off the next time he/she is worked.

It's when you see the new born (small) tags on a 400 lber and up that you should be tipped off that nothing has been done to this animal since birth.
Which means no worming, no vacination, etc etc.
SL
Not necessarily. We keep the small tags in the ear until replacement heifer and bull/steer selections are made after weaning. Once they are made, we grind new tags and put them in those we are keeping when we tattoo and freeze brand in the spring before turnout or selling bulls. The ones going to the sale barn have the small tags left in (not spending money and time on grinding new or putting in new for the sale barn). The ones going to the sale barn with small tags have had shots, dewormer, etc. like the rest of the calves. It just depends on how the rancher does their operation.

All my calves get tagged at birth(in the right ear).This tag tells me the dam and sire.If the are kept for a replacment they get a tag in the left ear in case they loose one.I don't ever remove the tag they got at birth.

Back to the initial post..

Those calves are not replacement quality! I don't understand why you would want to waste valuable resources (feed, grass, whatever) to raise an inferior animal that will not produce you a decent calf. You're losing all the way around!

I can't believe in Florida you don't have ANY "special sales".. or replacement female sales, or some such! If you will take the time to find one of these, you'll find yourself a MUCH better representation of a replacement type animal, you'll know they were vaccinated, etc. (most all sales like this have guidelines as to what needs to have been done prior to the sale) I can promise you right now registered cattle are cheap as well! If you took the time to attend a couple registered sales, not only could you perhaps find a breeder that can help you, but you'll find something that is worth putting feed into.

SirLoin2":3j197u90 said:
Vett,
Re:

It's when you see the new born (small) tags on a 400 lber and up that you should be tipped off that nothing has been done to this animal since birth.
Which means no worming, no vacination, etc etc.
SL

Not necessarily. We have some cows from 2 yrs right up to 8 or 9, that have never had an individual id tag (they have the NLIS cos its compulsory) because we showed them as heifers. They've been wormed, vaxd, etc. And yes they are in both the stud and commercial herd so its not just a hobby farmer/registered/show stock thing.

If eartags tell you so much you must be a real wizard at reading tea leaves, animal entrails, etc.

[

That little man of yours you are raising is more important than any of this - and you know that.[/quote]

10-4 om that..i kinda like to think im doin most of what i do for him..like to get him some decent stock and hope he feels like mesin with em..either way...its money in the bank for him

dieselbeef":23a6zn6v said:
10-4 om that..i kinda like to think im doin most of what i do for him..like to get him some decent stock and hope he feels like mesin with em..either way...its money in the bank for him

The first thing my grandchildren want to do is go see the cows. About a dozen or so have names. Amazingly, they remember who is who.

Kids an animals just go together.

Last summer I bought a bunch of lightweight heifers. They were really cheap in late July and early August. 20 or so look about like those you are pondering on. I am going to retain some of them. Good worming and plenty of grass works wonders.

There is a person who advertises on Craigslist selling calves like these. He get cross bred dairy calves from dairies, feeds them enough to get them weaned and then makes a healthy profit for his 6 to 8 weeks of work.

Something else, if they are polled, they may be stunted and older than the seller says they are.

It does not cost any more to feed a quality animal than a junker. Good luck with your venture.