Opinions on SAV Bloodline and SAV Downpour

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on SAV Bloodline and SAV Downpour. I've observed several Downpour sons at a sale, they reminded be of rainfalls, just with more frame. Similar stoutness, scrotal and temperament. I've never seen any bloodline offspring in person. Doesnt seem like there have been much registrations under downpour for whatever reason.
Thanks in advance

Looking for opinions on SAV Bloodline and SAV Downpour. I've observed several Downpour sons at a sale, they reminded be of rainfalls, just with more frame. Similar stoutness, scrotal and temperament. I've never seen any bloodline offspring in person. Doesnt seem like there have been much registrations under downpour for whatever reason.
Thanks in advance
Can you post a link to their registration page?

Ken

They both should produce a lot of thickness and growth but would be hard to recommend on heifers.
I have used Rainmaster who is from the same flush as Rainfall and that thickness certainly gets passed on, can be a bit tough on heifers also.

Ken

Downpours are substantially better on their feet and legs than the bloodlines IMO. I wanted to use a Rainfall son to go back on all of our Renown/Resource genetics, chose a Downpour son SAV Braveheart to move forward with as well as using Downpour himself.

I bought semen on Bloodline on the advice of some top breeders I respect. Then after the lack of transparency on the death of Rainfall and the death of Downpour I only used one straw last spring on a commercial cow. But after seeing progeny of his and how they are developing plan to use the rest in 23. After I use it I will likely stay away from anything with Rainfall in it. We need cows and bulls that will stay in the herd long term. One option we are using is Double Wide.

We have two ET Bloodlines in the bred heifer pen the 2024 heifer is a Bloodline out of our Abigale 913 donor. Not a good photo but gives you an idea. I thought the other BL was in the second photo but oops can't find her, it was the day we pulled cidrs and most of them had snotty noses we have had crazy weather hot then cold a perfect storm to make sick cows. It had been in the 80's then dropped into the 40's and that was a week before it really went nuts.5E2AB5DB-8FED-45DF-82D8-7A2DC05BBB9B.jpegB4EDEA95-9F63-455E-8CD0-CC4FE2FFBE8B.jpeg

1672380934258.jpeg
1672381088053.jpeg
We AI'd a group on the 23rd it dropped from the 60's the day before to the teens for breeding with a windchill that made it feel like 9 did I mention I live in Florida I don't do cold well. We breed our last group AI tomorrow then stick some eggs in next week then stick a fork in me I think I will be done. oh yea did I mention I came down with COVID on the 25th so Merry Covid Christmas.

I bought semen on Bloodline on the advice of some top breeders I respect. Then after the lack of transparency on the death of Rainfall and the death of Downpour I only used one straw last spring on a commercial cow. But after seeing progeny of his and how they are developing plan to use the rest in 23. After I use it I will likely stay away from anything with Rainfall in it. We need cows and bulls that will stay in the herd long term. One option we are using is Double Wide.
I didn't realize they had both passed and that there was lack of transparency. What is the assumption?

Not sure what the assumption is but I would think maybe the time might come when people get tired of short lifespan of SAV bulls but then again maybe not.

Not sure what the assumption is but I would think maybe the time might come when people get tired of short lifespan of SAV bulls but then again maybe not.
Many bulls only breed one or two seasons and some not at all but the general public just doesn't hear about it. We just hear about the "hot" ones. Rainfall wasn't that young when he died, really. I don't think that SAV bulls probably have any shorter lifespans than any other segment of the population. Have you never had something unfortunate happen with an animal at an earlier age than you'd like?

Yes things happen. I live about 3 hours from SAV headquarters. There reputation for longevity on their bulls in commercial operations is less than stellar. I don't visit bull studs very often but do know that it is less than a perfect place for a bull to live but I would think every once in a while we would see one of these bulls live past 5 years of age. Resource and Renown did but not many others have. The feet issue in the Angus breed has reached a point that the average is piss poor in my opinion. I can't tell if the epds are helping or hurting at this point. Trimming feet is the worst thing a seed stock producer can do as it is exacerbating the problem.

The rate of development impacts the longevity. Expectations of obese children is not goof for healthy adulthood. Extra weight on young joints is not a positive: broilers and turkeys. Press to the limits: too many modern broilers when taken up to roaster size will die from heart failure from a horn blowing or a clap of thunder. Too much body for the young heart. Feed alone does not improve a bull's future value to a buyer. If you want real helpful information about a bull and not ruin him, feed out steers which are half sibs and see how they do in a short life and let the bull develop at a moderate pace. But wait, that's practical thinking and then you would not need to buy a replacement as often!

Latest posts