Simmental on hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
I have been using simmental/ simangus bulls and do some ai. I have a mostly commercial herd. But I'm looking at leasing a new farm and am thinking about buying hereford cows and using simmental/simangus bull on them. I currently have 2 commercial hereford that I have been doing this with and like three results. Is there any reason you would say not to?

I have been using simmental/ simangus bulls and do some ai. I have a mostly commercial herd. But I'm looking at leasing a new farm and am thinking about buying hereford cows and using simmental/simangus bull on them. I currently have 2 commercial hereford that I have been doing this with and like three results. Is there any reason you would say not to?
Can we see a calf?

I'll be honest, I've never had a regret or a problem with Simm bulls. The only things that ever went wrong were one bad pulled calf and one cow killed during calving by a storm. They produce great calves. Just have to keep on them sometimes, ime, some of them are lazy buggers.

I'll be honest, I've never had a regret or a problem with Simm bulls. The only things that ever went wrong were one bad pulled calf and one cow killed during calving by a storm. They produce great calves. Just have to keep on them sometimes, ime, some of them are lazy buggers.
When they first got here, late 60's, the old red & white pure Simmental, we has a LOT of problems with them Charolais, too. Biggest problem back then with both, were the enormous heads on the bulls. All cattle here then were Angus and Hereford, cows that barely made 1000lbs back then. I grew to HATE Charolais and Simms that very first year..so many cows and calves dying in birth. It was ugly. I swore I never, ever wanted so see another of either as long as I lived. People also got the 1st Brahmas around here about that time, and every one noticed how easy these little cows calved when bred to them. Lots of f1 Braford and Brangus around in just a few short years. But with todays simmental, Charolais too, and with the bigger angus, Hereford etc, this is a non-issue now. I always did like Char and Simm cows though. They did fine the other way...Char or Simm cows and Angus or Hereford bulls. And some people started crossing Char and Simm, and these were damned good cows..no calving problems and weaned big calves . I wouldn't turn any down today if there were some for sale. Those yellow and white steers and heifers dominated the fairs around here for years, in the new commercial categories. Most people around here do not keep replacement heife4rs, but of the ons that did, would breed these Char/Simms to the " new-fangled" brahma bulls, and that cross was unbelievable. Looked just like a yellow & white f1Braford. I would not be opposed to having a pasture full of them today, either. If I did, and h kept these heifers for myself, I would breed them red( believe it or not) Angus. Or red Brangus.

But to answer @scvfd_7241 , no you shouldn't have a bit of trouble breeding your Hereford cows to any of these.

In the realm of bulls and cows too, we've really come so far. I mean, there's so few breeds that can't successfully (in terms of health) be crossed. The biggest problem that I see for me, as a guy with a fixed (looking for more) amount of range, is that so many cows are just freaking whoppers nowadays. 1,400-1,600 lbs is not uncommon at all and they eat like it too. I just don't see the need imo. I really don't. We kept the nation in beef just fine before all of that and call me crazy, but I just don't believe that they're all producing animals with a higher overall potential for slaughter weight. I fed some cows for a guy I know this week and he mostly had, if I was clocking them off my shirt cuff, 850lb-1,100lb cows and they were hustling and making it just fine on some fairly "meh" range conditions. The only ones found wanting were getting busted off of the feed by the ones that were just real aggressive. He's running something like maybe 90 head or so and the drought didn't cost him a single cow because they could handle it. And maybe I've lost the plot and these leather tractors are really something special, but for my entire life up until I was well an adult, we really only had a few "big" cows and we weaned good calves just fine. We used brangus cows, simm bulls. Some replacements kept, but they were out of my herd and had a higher percentage of brahma in them because brahma crosses (BrahmaXJersey) were what I was able to get first as a kid.

I have used black, black white belly, and ai with tj main event
You shouln't have any problem , then. One advantage of the turning black and breeding up, and everything, is they have CE bulls. KNow what Char and Simm bulls today weigh 2000lbs with the same body as the ones in the 70's that weighed 2200 lbs? They have lost about 200 lbs on their head size! You AI, I gather? Might not hurt to breed heifers first time with CE Angus. but if not, you will be ok with CE simm.

Can we see a calf?
The white face came from a 11 year old commercial hereford ai'ed to tj main event

The other came from a daughter from the 11yo her sire was a simmental and she was aied to tj main event

Attachments

• 69440.jpeg
    69440.jpeg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1884.jpeg
    1884.jpeg
    940.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 52140.jpeg
    52140.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 52228.jpeg
    52228.jpeg