Opinions on SAF 598 Bando 5175 and sitz 8180

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerD44

Reaction score
anyone used him or seen his progeny?? I have the opportunity to buy some offspring with him in the bloodlines. He is 3 generations back in the pedigree but these are very thick-made, long, good looking bull calves. The one i like the most is double-bred to him 3 generations back and also double bred to sitz traveler 8180 four generations back.

I have had alittle bit of experience with 5175 and some of his sons.

First, We have used a son of 5175 in the past. He sired cattle alot like his sire. The calves had frame and volume but were alittle ackward (sp?) looking until right at weaning. The reports on his daughters were very good on customers, this is supposed to be a strong suit of 5175. The calves really grew from weaning to yearling, probably our best sire group in that respect.

At the same time we used a maternal brother to 5175 himself, this bull's calves were more attractive in the front end and retained the growth and volume of the 1002 cow (5175's dam).

I would caution you not to use 5175 descendents if you are attempting to moderate frame or breed large numbers of heifers. He is neither heifer friendly nor moderate framed, some progeny have had some success in these areas however. Good Luck, I personally like the bull in the right circumstances.

One of my bulls is the son of Bando 5175. So far he has thrown calfs in the 75 - 80 lb. range and are weaning out at 550 -600 lb. My other bull is coming two years old 6/1/08. He is out of Sterling Bando 327 & Lassie 401 of Sterling. I hope he does as well. I couldn't care less about my bulls being registered the papers came with them when I bought them. I just wanted some quality bulls for my herd. Been happy so far. By the way he hasn't given me a bull calf yet out of two breeding seasons.

the calf i am planning on purchasing wieghed 89lbs at birth and had an adj. 205 day weight of 790lbs. a real thick looking beast- i think he will be a good one

I have 3 8180 daughters. They are great cows. Good udders, disposition and take great care of their calves. They are always at the top of the contemporaries.

Latest posts