Opinions on new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
Here is our new bull. He will mainly be used as a cleanup bull on our heifers. I know he needs some fly spray, but what do you think? Any opinions will be appreciated.

DSCF0046.JPG

DSCF0040.JPG

DSCF0038.JPG

He strikes me as average.
How old is he?

Not masculine enough (esp. head)
Coarse shouldered
Doesn't seem massive enough
Lacks muscle and finish - maybe he's been out with the girls too long?

He has reasonably good phenotype, and should be adequate for a cleanup bull. His depth of body is fair to good, and his width is okay. His feet and pasterns are good. He appears slightly cow-hocked, but that might be just the way he is standing in the rear view picture.

Your comment about the fly's is exactly right! The horn fly problem is far worse than most producers realize, and this bull is losing around 1/2# a day - perhaps more, as a result of those flys! Spray is like urinating in the sea to raise the tide - it does very little good! In my opinion, you should put into motion an AGGRESSIVE program of fly abatement and containment including spray, pour-ons, ear tags, insecticide in feed which kills larvae in the manure, and back-rubbers. Fly's become immune to a lot of the methods of control, and you have to beat them at their own game.

How old is the bull?

DOC HARRIS

He's three years old. I think he is slightly cow hocked, but otherwise has pretty sound phenotype. I will say he is thicker than appears in these photos but I couldn't get him to cooperate for a picture. I don't think he is anything special but I believe he'll do a pretty good job in a cleanup role.

Hey, not a bad bull on the eyes to clean up your heifers with, but he could be just a little bit more masculine around the head. Other than that, he looks like a soild bull. Good luck with him!

THG

looks to me like he will be a good bull for heifers. I'd bet all his calves will be small.....unfortunately that trend will continue as his calves fail to grow out. I would not use him. Slopes from hooks to pins. to me his depth is poor. maybe the pictures but I don't see any thickeness on the top. He appears to lack total volume. Could be the pictures. Animals always look better "live".

Nothing wrong with that bull. Course, there's no way to tell until the calves are here.

If he was as fat as a butterball, everyone here would be raving over him. :roll:

George Monk[list said:
":27z3weyw]looks to me like he will be a good bull for heifers. I'd bet all his calves will be small.[/list]....unfortunately that trend will continue as his calves fail to grow out. I would not use him. Slopes from hooks to pins. to me his depth is poor. maybe the pictures but I don't see any thickeness on the top. He appears to lack total volume. Could be the pictures. Animals always look better "live".
now that's somthing i would'nt bet on....on just apperance him being easy calver

Ever looked at angus bulls. I know on here thay knock a lot on the angus breed. But after all black brings more $$$. and that is what i look at.

ALACOWMAN":2km3hkxb said:
George Monk[list said:
":2km3hkxb]looks to me like he will be a good bull for heifers. I'd bet all his calves will be small.[/list]....unfortunately that trend will continue as his calves fail to grow out. I would not use him. Slopes from hooks to pins. to me his depth is poor. maybe the pictures but I don't see any thickeness on the top. He appears to lack total volume. Could be the pictures. Animals always look better "live".
now that's somthing i would'nt bet on....on just apperance him being easy calver

He'll be an easy calver. EPD for BW is well below breed average in a breed known for easy calving. Unfortunately, as George pointed out, his growth EPDs are on the low end as well. I still think he'll be ok for cleanup.

I don't really understand the mentallity of "he will do okay as a cleanup bull". I think we as producers should have a clean up bull that is equal to any bull we choose to AI with. Certainly we can't afford the AI studs but there are bulls as equal in quality but lack the proven traits. Anywhere from 30-50% of a calf crop is going to be the responsibility of the clean up bull. I want to use the best bull I can afford.
One other issue I have with this bull is the condition. Sure he hasn't been on full feed but if he has lost several points of condition then fertility really becomes an issue. I had a neighbor that wouldn't give his bull any rest or supplemental feeding. My bull constently visited his herd because his cows never got bred because the bull was in such poor condition. This bull is NOT that bad but still longevity is going to be effected by losing condition. My neighbor never fixes fence either! :roll:

George,

I appreciate your comments. I guess instead of saying he will be ok for cleanup, I should say I don't think he is as bad as you do. In regards to his body condition, I agree that he is not as fat as he could be. What BCS score would you give him? His services are not going to be needed until at least mid may. What kind of feed would you give him?

gberry":qvpffech said:
ALACOWMAN":qvpffech said:
George Monk[list said:
":qvpffech]looks to me like he will be a good bull for heifers. I'd bet all his calves will be small.[/list]....unfortunately that trend will continue as his calves fail to grow out. I would not use him. Slopes from hooks to pins. to me his depth is poor. maybe the pictures but I don't see any thickeness on the top. He appears to lack total volume. Could be the pictures. Animals always look better "live".

He'll be an easy calver. EPD for BW is well below breed average in a breed known for easy calving. Unfortunately, as George pointed out, his growth EPDs are on the low end as well. I still think he'll be ok for cleanup.

Charolais are known for easy calving? When did that happen? :p

I like him, for whatever that's worth.

Once I get the numbers of eared cows were I want them, I am going to switch to a Murray and give it a try.

:oops: me too
many of my comments were on what I think the conformation of a charlois should be sorry I have no reference to Murray Grey.

gberry - I'm sure I am being too harsh. I don't know any histroy of this animal and you get to see him and appreciate him. I mean no offense. :)

We run our bulls on a 60 breeding period and then into the small pasture with about 10 lbs of grain + 1lb protein. We won't feed them if they don't need it.

BCS??? high 3 or low 5????? ours are 5-6??? Not really good at the numbers just know what I want my cattle to look like. Others would probably say I have fat cattle. :lol:

MikeC":1tt6g0h8 said:
If he was as fat as a butterball, everyone here would be raving over him. :roll:

Definitly agree with that statement. There have definitly been ALOT worse looking bulls posted here. I kinda like the guy, he's not perfect, but certainly not bad.

On that photo of his rear: you can clearly see some
ribs. He needs 200 more pounds & I suspect he
would look much more than just OK.

Latest posts