Opinion on Angus heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Good hair and hide. Ribs have a slight backwards slope which is a plus to me. Bone is adequate. Plenty of capacity. I like the package. If you want my questions on the unknowns: is she bred low BW as the bones are as small as I would desire when "designing" one? And milk level and mature weight are two issues I watch but cannot know in a picture. OR info on the sire or dam. Good job.

you are correct in your statement that members see completely different opinions of animals posted on here. the first thing I noticed was the muscle tone in the rear legs which makes me think she has a very appealing walk to her. the pic looks like she is a little narrow in the back end but without that angle it is hard to tell. If she has a nice docile attitude, that would be a plus for me. She looks like a good keeper from what I can see in the pic.

I'm a bit challenged when judging cattle, I need to be around them a lot to form an opinion but I feel that just one photo with her head down grazing and back leg in the wrong position does not give me much of a chance to form an opinion. I know good photos are hard to achieve but another couple of views as in rear end and head up to give an idea of length of neck also her overall length is hard to judge from a photo with her head down grazing. A photo like that is fine if you just want to show us your cattle which we all enjoy but if you want a well considered opinion then I think you need to make that extra effort. Maybe I'm just becoming a grizzly old fart.
I think videos are good and under utilised on here when showing your cattle and a lot easier than lining up that great pose.

Ken

Thank you, everyone, I am grateful. I promise the next time I'll get a video for you.
She is by a son of Cole Creek Cedar Ridge, so yes to low BW. She is out of a daughter of KG Solution with BC 7022 Raven on the bottom. After going through three years of drought, I've been aiming for a moderate frame. Docility is critical for me because I work alone.

There's such a range of opinions on cattle on this forum and I'm curious about what you think about this 15 month old Angus heifer. I like her, but I'm open to criticism.
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 6751
It is so hard to tell with her head down. Could you post another with her head up? Ty. Vanessa

Being a horse person and working cattle by myself for feeding and what not- I agree on the docility- I judge a good ear and a soft eye, which she has both. Nice strong back end and slope of her shoulder.

I look for a long slender neck and length of body . Hard to tell from the head down pic but best I can tell she has both .

I am curious on other photos. When her head is up, how does she look? Cattle of late break behind their shoulder and a grazing photo disguises this. I see her as flat muscled and angular. As Lee stated....wait until she is in production to see how much of an easy keeper she is.

I'm a bit challenged when judging cattle, I need to be around them a lot to form an opinion but I feel that just one photo with her head down grazing and back leg in the wrong position does not give me much of a chance to form an opinion. I know good photos are hard to achieve but another couple of views as in rear end and head up to give an idea of length of neck also her overall length is hard to judge from a photo with her head down grazing. A photo like that is fine if you just want to show us your cattle which we all enjoy but if you want a well considered opinion then I think you need to make that extra effort. Maybe I'm just becoming a grizzly old fart.
I think videos are good and under utilised on here when showing your cattle and a lot easier than lining up that great pose.

Ken
I'm with you. I would like to see her with her head up and different angle of photo of her back legs. Based on what I can see, she looks like a nice heifer.

Latest posts