Opening up older generations to doing thing different?

Help Support CattleToday:

crimsoncrazy

Reaction score
I'm a younger guy. 29. How do I get my grandpa and dad to listen to me a little bit about certain things I think they could improve on. They are kind of stuck in their ways because "that's always how it's been done".

Try showing them instead of telling them. If they see something working well for you they may be more willing to give it a try. Or maybe not, depending on how stubborn they are.

Yeah, we need to know what kind of changes your talking about. Some are easy and others you might as well forget about.

your spinning your wheels trying to change them.the only thing you can try todo is work with them and not against them.

just keep talking to them and tell them you would like to try something with a few head to see how it would help or hinder. let them know that you need to try something different now & then to keep your sanity & prove your way could work. takes time & patience. might get an extension person to tell them your way might work also

jerry27150":mi6q6nkj said:
just keep talking to them and tell them you would like to try something with a few head to see how it would help or hinder. let them know that you need to try something different now & then to keep your sanity & prove your way could work. takes time & patience. might get an extension person to tell them your way might work also

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: If his dad and grandpa are as uptight and ornery as my old man, than extension bums have shyt for brains and should go get a real job! If this is the case, than the last person you want giving any advice is an extension agent!

Don't waste your time. :bang:

I'm 27 right now about to be 28 this month. I can name no less than 10 things that I was told by my parents, family, or friends I could not do... that I have done already. I thought once I did them that would give me credibility and they might listen..... :lol:

It's best just to do your thing... let them do theirs.

Best think with me and my dad is for me to do what i want to-to a point. Some thing i want to do i cant be cause i cant seperate out just my cows from his cause they are all on his place. Example though, before we had all them together i put out a stimulyx tub and mixed cottonseed hull with my mineral through the winter. He told me i was giving them too much protien and that all they needed was hay and a mineral block. On the other side of that winter though he was telling me how good my cows looked compared to his. Now though he still will only by mineral blocks and not give them any extra and last year i bought the tubs out of my pocket and this year too. He still thinks all they need is hay and mineral block and probably always will.

Aaron":8v3d6wtm said:
jerry27150":8v3d6wtm said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: If his dad and grandpa are as uptight and ornery as my old man, than extension bums have shyt for brains and should go get a real job! If this is the case, than the last person you want giving any advice is an extension agent!
Are you telling me that they are not right about the extension people. :shock: :D

Craig Miller":3bai2716 said:
Best think with me and my dad is for me to do what i want to-to a point. Some thing i want to do i cant be cause i cant seperate out just my cows from his cause they are all on his place. Example though, before we had all them together i put out a stimulyx tub and mixed cottonseed hull with my mineral through the winter. He told me i was giving them too much protien and that all they needed was hay and a mineral block. On the other side of that winter though he was telling me how good my cows looked compared to his. Now though he still will only by mineral blocks and not give them any extra and last year i bought the tubs out of my pocket and this year too. He still thinks all they need is hay and mineral block and probably always will.
I am 57 and maybe as hard headed as most but here are some ideas. Older people deal in what they understand and feel comfortable with. If they dont understand or it is real different then it is wrong. I try new things all the time and watch people make mistakes just like I do. It took me forever to start texting instead of calling on the phone. Now I text probably as much as most young people. Make it easy for them to do whatever you want them to do and help them to understand. But first make sure what you are doing is the correct thing.

ok yall this sub just keeps getting deeper and deeper.as i said in my 1st p[ost ive delt with where yall are at.i just go around them and do what i want.i buy and control the herd bull for the cows here since i have reg cows.the main changes weve made are this we keep the best minerals and salt out year round.plus we keep the fly blocks/tubs out in summer.in winter we put protine tubs out as needed.just these minor changes has the herd breeding back and calving quicker.

I'm 36, parents are 70.. I found you need to apply steady, light pressure in the direction you want to go.. you push too hard and they'll push back.. finding that balance is the hard part!

I'm not sold on protein tubs, at least not for the mature cows, though I wouldn't mind having one for my heifer calves.
A few years back, One of my most productive cows had trouble breeding back, she got a couple free strikes, and in that time I discovered that she'd breed back fine if exposed to the bull right after calving, but not if it was later.. this made me think she was getting depleted of something, so I did a mineral workup on her and found some serious problems..
The long and the short of it is that now I have loose mineral available for them, because so called "mineral" blocks don't have what they need and are a big waste of money around here...
Same goes for breeding decisions.. After 20 years, my parents breeding decisions still hadn't rectified some of the problems we've been dealing with for the whole time (bad udders, and prolapses).. and the cows were becoming gigantic.. Slowly I'm turning that around.. it takes time and patience, and a lot of each!

nesi mineral blocks have alot of filler in them.you was smart to quit using them.the program we are on works.in 15 days weve had 8 cows/heifers to calve.have 3 more to calve anytime.also have 5 or more getting ready.

Craig Miller":1xdmisin said:
See there, your both wrong. Mineral blocks are a rip off. Only time they help you is in a drouth with really bad hay and even then I think other things can be used. Look around and find other sources of protien cheaper and work on your grass and hay.
For mineral use loose and use what you need for your area.
Whole cottonseed.
DDG's
Wheat Midds
Rice Bran
Whole or cracked corn
Rolled barley
Range cubes in bulk.
There's a lot of ways to feed cheaper than blocks, even mix 30 is better than blocks.
None of the above are a one size fits all, it depends on location, grass quality, management, sources of products and more stuff someone will jump in here and point out.

Well, Mineral salt blocks have filler.. yes,.. salt! But at $18/block for a selenium block is outrageous... The biggest problem here is they do NOT contain phosphorus, which is essential around here.
I still feed a couple blue salt blocks once in a while for convenience's sake.
This farm produced the highest protein content hay AgCanada had ever tested at the time (1980something).. and though I no longer make any pure alfalfa hay, I think it's of pretty good quality anyhow.. I think young stock that's actively growing could use a little extra though.

Latest posts