Open cow and pecking order

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I have an open cow this year, before we go too far, I'm shipping her on Tuesday.

But this cow has become more agressive in the pecking order with the other cows. I have seen her challange the top cow twice and lose, but she also beats up on the other cows, hasn't messed with the calves.... yet. But I also watched her chase around a cow pretty low in the pecking order for at least 15 minutes just to beat up on it. she has always been number 4 or 5 in the pecking order, now she is challanging every cow.

Does her actions have anything to do with not having a calf this year? Or just because she is an agreesive cow? I should also mention two things, first that number 2 in the pecking order is in my calving pasture with my heifers still to calve, seperate from the herd with cow/calf pairs and the open cow. Also, that I bought this cow a few years ago, she has given me 2 decent calves, but the lady I bought her from made her a "pet" cow. The cow is not aggressive towards me, just other cows, I have no pet cows.

Thanks,
Alan

i dont know if it has anything to do with the whole calf thing, but i know i would ship her. i hate agresive cows. i dont mind them when you get a few new ones and they're just trying to get there spot in order cuz after a day or so they calm down. but if shes just all the sudden become agressive even if its not to you i would get rid of her.

If you pulled a cow out of the herd that had a higher point in the established pecking order she may be just trying to move on up. Probably doesn;t have anything to do with open or not.

dun

Alan, I honestly don't know, but I've seen another interesting form of dominance this past week. I have two cows, one a 6 year old and the other 3 year old. They are both due in June and both are definately still in calf. They have been in the same pasture since July.

They tried mounting each other for three consequtive days, neither standing off course. None of the other cows nor the yearling bulls in the adjoining pasture showed any interest in them at all. Has anyone else seen something like this?

I palpated both, just to make sure, but they are both still in calf.

I think I had a sign on this easter morning!

After I posted this I went down to tend horses, and the cow in question had broke through the fence into our long driveway, she was grazing on the grass in the drive. Well the driveway also doubles as an alley to the working chutes, where I also load cattle into the trailer. Long story short, no worries on seperating her from the herd, she was the only one who went through the fence, she had no choice but to come through me and my axe handle or into the working chutes. Secured and ready to load Tues morning .... it was just that easy and must have been a sign. :D :D

Alan

I got the same problem but all my cattle are new and tryin to find the pecking order I have charolais running with herefords and red angus the charolais are on the top then they have there own pecking order. How long will you give a cow / heifer to settle in before you sell her?

Our cows don't really have a pecking order, but there is one herd Matron...she's just the oldest and the other cows know she is the big momma in the pasture. Our bred heifers(in another barn) like to "play" with each other all the time. I don't know if this is because they were show heifers or what, but they don't get rough and it looks like it is all in good fun. They really just remind me of calves the way they behave...is this what happens for everyone else?

shortyjock89":o6c92584 said:
Our cows don't really have a pecking order, but there is one herd Matron...she's just the oldest and the other cows know she is the big momma in the pasture. Our bred heifers(in another barn) like to "play" with each other all the time. I don't know if this is because they were show heifers or what, but they don't get rough and it looks like it is all in good fun. They really just remind me of calves the way they behave...is this what happens for everyone else?

I will guarantee you there is a pecking order.

Put out grain on the ground in piles - three piles less than cattle in the field and watch who takes what - how fast they move to the next pile and so on.

It is there in every herd - it is real and it can be quite entertaining when they "get it on".

Bez>