Open Border

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
Prices were down about 20 cents a pond here since the border has opened. Just wondering about the rest of the states?

Rod":2mmh70ry said:
Prices were down about 20 cents a pond here since the border has opened. Just wondering about the rest of the states?

I'd be curious where you are getting your numbers from. 20 cents a pound on what ? The prices I've seen are about two cents a pound down. That is where they haven't gone up.

TradeSignals U.S. Livestock Futures Morning Commentary

Jul 18, 2005 Live Cattle

Nearby Live Cattle futures finished the previous session weaker extending the prior days weaker tone. Trend indicators are indicating a bearish market. However the overall strength of the trend, as indicated by the ADX, is weak and should be watched as a result.

TREND INDICATORS:

Simple Moving Average (10-Day): The closing price finished below this moving average. Also, the slope of the moving average is in a downward slope from the previous session indicating further weakness. As a result the 10-Day simple moving average has a strong bearish bias.

Simple Moving Average (25-Day): The closing price finished below this moving average. Also, the slope of the moving average is in a downward slope from the previous session indicating further weakness. As a result the 25-Day simple moving average has a strong bearish bias.

Simple Moving Average (50-Day): The closing price finished below this moving average. Also, the slope of the moving average is in a downward slope from the previous session indicating further weakness. As a result the 50-Day simple moving average has a strong bearish bias.

ADX: The Average Directional Change (ADX) indicates the strength of a markets underlying trend. A rising ADX is interpreted as building trend strength, while a falling ADX indicates weakness in the underlying trend and the potential of a market reversal. On this market, the 14-Day ADX is falling, while the long term trend, based on a 50-Day moving average, is down. However, the weak ADX indicates that the current trend is deteriorating and may possibly reverse. Look for a choppiness ahead.

MOMENTUM INDICATORS: MACD: The MACD is in bullish territory. However, the recent downturn in the difference between the MACD and the MACD signal line may indicate a short term decline over the next few days.

RSI: The 14-Day RSI is in neutral territory. (RSI is at 36.78). This indicator issues bullish signals when the RSI line dips below the oversold zone (currently set at 20.00); a bearish signal is generated when the RSI rises into the overbought zone (currently set at 80.00). Nevertheless with the RSI at 36.78 the market is somewhat oversold. However, this by itself isn't a strong enough indication to signal a trade. Look for additional evidence of strength from this indicator before getting too bullish here.

Resistance and Support Levels:

52-Week High: 90.000 <br>200-Day Simple Moving Average: 83.532 <br>100-Day Simple Moving Average: 83.295 <br>50-Day Simple Moving Average: 82.199 <br>Highest High in last 10-Days: 80.950 <br>25-Day Simple Moving Average: 79.791 <br>10-Day Simple Moving Average: 79.275 <br>3-Day Simple Moving Average: 78.867 <br>High: 78.800 <br>Last Price: 78.525 <br>Low: 78.050 <br>Low: 78.050 <br>52-Week Low: 77.975

August 2005 Live Cattle
Last 78.500
Change -0.450

October 2005 Live Cattle
Last 81.150
Change -0.900

The saturday auction was off 20 cents a pound. Usually a pricey sale but saturday was bad news.

We're down a bit on price but I'm looking to buy feeders this fall not sell. The sales are slow but haven't heard that the border thing has caused any problems.

35 cows crossed the border today into the U.S. of A. - Penn. bound for slaughter - from Ontario.

Bez

Pardon me - slip of the typwritten vocabulary.

I do not know the breakdown of steers vs heifers.

Newspaper reporter called them cows - you can be sure he got it wrong! As did I. Good catch on your part.

No further clarification from my part as I simply do not know.

Bez

did the prices take a jump in canada when the border opened?

jt

Buffalo Livestock Commission Co. - Buffalo, TX - Saturday - 07/16/05

Cattle and Calves: 1,908 Week Ago: 2,341 Year Ago: 1,935

Compared to last week: Feeder steers and heifers 2.00-5.00 lower. Slaughter
bulls 4.00 lower. Slaughter cows 5.00 lower. Trade active and demand good on
all classes. Bulk supply Medium and large 1-2 300-700 lb feeder steers and
heifers.

Bez":18vniaca said:
Pardon me - slip of the typwritten vocabulary.

I do not know the breakdown of steers vs heifers.

Newspaper reporter called them cows - you can be sure he got it wrong! As did I. Good catch on your part.

No further clarification from my part as I simply do not know.

Bez

I know it is a possibility, but how likely is it that they might have been two year old cows, maybe had their first calves at side?

Ryan

Ryan - unlikely.

Reprots say all destined for slaughter.

Bez

Around here prices are down 12 to 15 a pound from a month ago.

But they have been dropping for awhile. The drought has alot of people worried. In central Ky they are saying that after this rain its slim for the rest of the year. Hope they are not right as the water table is still very low.

I think the rain issue has more to do with prices in my neck of the woods than the border. I could be wrong you all know more than I do. lol

MD

The slaughter cow prices were off 5 or 6 cents on Saturday. I didn't think light feeder prices were down any but the yearling prices seemed to be off by quite a bit. 7 to 8 wgt heifers were under 80 cents, but there was only one buyer buying them and you always need two people bidding to find the top price.
Dave

A lot of that is seasonal on lighter calves. It's too late to get light calves straightened out for summer grass and too early to start gathering them for winter wheat. I'm sure that some orders were cancelled though, just waiting to see what the futures market would do. That's just the way it works. The markets have been trending down for several weeks now. It can't all be blamed on the border opening.

Texan":16qo0t8t said:
A lot of that is seasonal on lighter calves. It's too late to get light calves straightened out for summer grass and too early to start gathering them for winter wheat. I'm sure that some orders were cancelled though, just waiting to see what the futures market would do. That's just the way it works. The markets have been trending down for several weeks now. It can't all be blamed on the border opening.

Demand has been dropping since 2004. Atkins has past it's peak.

there is some seasonal trending down, but alot of the trending down over the last month has been in anticipation of the border opening. with the 8-10 cents it was down on yearlings this week that makes a total of 20 on them and about 40-50 on the light calves that were bringing 1.75-1.80. By trending down in anticipation of the opening it wasnt all done in one week. That way people can say, well it wasnt the border opening, it was going down already. And as you can tell, that is what people are saying, even though we know different. I believe that there was already so much beef coming in from Canada that this is temporary and the market makers are taking advantage because they can, but I believe that will run it's course. The prices later this fall and winter will still depend on the corn crop and the consumption and the opening of Japan