One Nut Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

draagyn

Reaction score
I've made a deal on a yearling bull with one nut, was supposed to be a steer, banding gone wrong. He is angus dexter and my plan is to put him in freezer this fall. I'm also boarding a yearling Hereford heifer until she goes to freezer. Should I be concerned about them breeding?

Yes
He will breed. Get rid of the other nut if you no for sure the 2 nd nut is not pushed up in him

He will try. Even if he doesn't get her stuck, he'll just cause problems. He'll get stagy, thick necked, and act like a bull. Even if it's a belly nut, have the vet out and get it cut out.

If you put him in a group of cows you wanted bred, he'd never get one
If you put him with a heifer you don't want bred, 100% chance she'll be bred... just the way it works

Nesikep said:
If you put him with a heifer you don't want bred, 100% chance she'll be bred... just the way it works

True!! Got the t-shirt. Was bred at 4 months by One Nut - who was subsequently renamed No Nut after the vet came out. And she died trying to abort. That was a painful, expensive lesson to learn.

Steer him!

Thanks everyone for the help. His nut is hanging down not a belly nut. Can I band it at his age? Just over a year old.

Will my bands and bander that I use on my week old bulls be big enough for a yearling or should I find something bigger for him?

How soon this fall are they going to slaughter? Other than the loss of weight if she cycles it might not matter. A month or 2 bred won't change much for either of them

draagyn said:
Will my bands and bander that I use on my week old bulls be big enough for a yearling or should I find something bigger for him?

All depends on what you use on your baby calves, and how big his testicle is.
The vet I worked for always put two bands on bulls. He had a nack and could usually get a little green band on 5-6wt bulls before he put a Callicrate band on. Double stack a couple tri bands on him should work.
I prefer cutting, so I guess I'd just cut him.
A bad banding job is probably what started this problem.

draagyn said:

I'd strongly recommend finding something bigger. Just because you can fit the green band around it doesn't mean it will work. The mess you get from a band that breaks or stretches out too far to do the job is a lot more expensive than having done right in the first place.

Nesikep said:

lol...ain't that sort of thing the real truth....what you want you do not get, what you get is often not wanted :)

Latest posts