One man loading

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy+

Reaction score
It seems everytime I take a load of calves to the market I end up getting kicked trying to get them loaded in the trailer. Now if you have a couple or more folks to help, you are lucky. I managed to get kicked again last week and figured out a better way to get em loaded. I took an old cut gate that just fit in load chute lane, got behind them and just kept slipping it forward and with the hotshot they went right in. This after getting kicked and having two get by me several times. This keeps them from getting back by you and keeps you from getting kicked. Next time I will have a piece of plywood precut to size with hand holds cut in it. Not much of a tip but sure saves the old knees and shins.

That's a great idea, but with the excess of Snowbirds staying at your B&B, why not have them help out? You do realize you have the potential to start a Yankee Dude Ranch. The income potential could be unlimited.You just need to start taking Plastic.

Crowderfarms":3e7uldpd said:
That's a great idea, but with the excess of Snowbirds staying at your B&B, why not have them help out? You do realize you have the potential to start a Yankee Dude Ranch. The income potential could be unlimited.You just need to start taking Plastic.

Naw, they just want to sit up on the fence and watch. Plus those high heels don't do well in the mud. I would rather get kicked than have to listen to that long nose accent saying New Joysie. I know where I would like to put that hotshot! :lol:

flaboy+":2mkn954b said:
Crowderfarms":2mkn954b said:

Naw, they just want to sit up on the fence and watch. Plus those high heels don't do well in the mud. I would rather get kicked than have to listen to that long nose accent saying New Joysie. I know where I would like to put that hotshot! :lol:

Don;t you get the ones from New Yauk too?

dun

dun":40g66fvn said:
Don;t you get the ones from New Yauk too?

dun

Yeah, get some of those also. They won't come down to the pens. They say there are too many flies. All they want to do is drive the tractors through the gates and say "well it should have opened for me". :shock:

I used to use an old hunk of OSB with a couple slots for handles to save my legs from the calves. Then I picked up a "hog board" that pig farmers use to herd the hogs into the trailer. Lightweight and saves the black and blue legs.

Dee":2hezy1tf said:
I used to use an old hunk of OSB with a couple slots for handles to save my legs from the calves. Then I picked up a "hog board" that pig farmers use to herd the hogs into the trailer. Lightweight and saves the black and blue legs.

Yeah I have heard of hog boards. Do you know what size they are. I need something that fits all the way across the chute lane to prevent them from running over/under/around me.

flaboy+":1o9n90wp said:
It seems everytime I take a load of calves to the market I end up getting kicked trying to get them loaded in the trailer. Now if you have a couple or more folks to help, you are lucky. I managed to get kicked again last week and figured out a better way to get em loaded. I took an old cut gate that just fit in load chute lane, got behind them and just kept slipping it forward and with the hotshot they went right in. This after getting kicked and having two get by me several times. This keeps them from getting back by you and keeps you from getting kicked. Next time I will have a piece of plywood precut to size with hand holds cut in it. Not much of a tip but sure saves the old knees and shins.

Thats a good idea, lord knows I have been kicked my share and then some. We have a good set of pens and good gates, alleys and all that stuff thank the lord. When we load we just shut gates behind us and yell n holler and get them in the trailer. The last part is the hardest. When they see that trailer they try to turn around and they do and send all the ones behind them straight for ya! You just gotta pay attention whap m on the butt with the whip and they will go.

Sounds easy but its hard but once you get used to it its easy! :cowboy: (easy for me anyway)

Avery, I have loaded many a head of cattle by myself. I think I have tried every method known to man. It seems there is always one or two that just won't go in the trailer. I had a 400 pounder go between my legs, throw me up in the air, foot caught in the fence, twisted my knee. Now when I was your age I could catch them when they came by, put them on the ground, then they didn't want no part of me after that. I just can't risk that anymore even though I could still do it. I have to work smarter these days.

One or two get turned around and they get by you, the whole trailer unloads while you are getting them back. Oh, and I have had 400 pounders put me up the fence too. Sometimes they prefer to run through you rather than around you. ;-)

Went out and looked at the hog panel. It's maybe #15, cost $18.95, and is made by Kane Mfg. It is 30" X 36", with handles to hold it the long or short way.

you all need a good dog for loading let him take the bumps . i have a border collie that will pen or load cattle. all i do is stand at the gate and give a few commands. but it does take alot of time and training . the training is for you the dog and the cattle :lol:

If you have two uprights across from each other hang a board that is fastened to a anchor point. As they pass under this pull a rope to release it to drop down and against the post. It will prevent them from backing up. Also on the small calves put a piece of 4" pvc pipe down the sides hanging from a rope. It will keep the little ones from turning around.

flaboy - I thought all you fellas down there had them cattle broke to lead ? I knew you should have attended the Crowder School of Cattle Fittin' and Showin'. Maybe you can get a scholarship the next time the course is scheduled.

i had thought about a hog board too, just dont paint it red, and wear them tights and micky mouse ear hats.. toro...toro.. oohh llaayy. :lol:

I may be missing something in this conversation, but I just use a 2 X 4 and put it in the slots in the fence behind the cattle. They will back up only until the 2 X 4 stops at the vertical braces. Then as they work forward just move the board up between the next braces.

jw":1e6hhjcf said:
I may be missing something in this conversation, but I just use a 2 X 4 and put it in the slots in the fence behind the cattle. They will back up only until the 2 X 4 stops at the vertical braces. Then as they work forward just move the board up between the next braces.

Yep, ya missed it. :lol: I said I didn't want to kicked by those calves anymore. Also a 2x4 ain't gonna keep a calf from getting by. I use a 3 inch fence post when working the cows into the squeeze chute.

I've got suicide doors in the alley, plywood half doors with heavy springs on 'em when they pass I trip the latch and there is only way they can go and that's on the trailer or as they sometimes do they can lay down in the alley on me.

Latest posts