Once a day feeding vs twice a day feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I were debating which was better. Once a day feeding vs twice a day. This is on a herd of mother cows and the idea was which one gets the most feed to those cows lower on the totem pole. If the end of day total feed would be the same. I was wanting to hear what you all have to say.

I feed twice per day because mine are beggars! :D

If you have cows that push the others away, (pecking order) it is not going to matter if it is once or twice per day. The lower ranking cows are going to come up short either way. My solution is to spread them out at feeding time. A pile here and a pile there. In other words I don't feed my cows all bunched up.

The best kind of feeding is always having the same feed out 24/7. This keeps the Urea levels consistent, and causes higher efficiency.
So the more times you feed in a day the better.
Just feed smaller amounts.

Just dropping round bales in front of them you need to ensure there is plenty to go around, but more importantly - room for them all to eat at once. If you're limiting how much they get per feeding, some cows will always eat more, either because some push to get more than their share, or they just eat faster than others.

Having more than they need in front of them at all times ensures there's always some there for the wimps of the bunch. And I'm not talking the feeders are still full the next day when you show up, but if it lasts for day light hours more or less, than everyone has had multiple turns at it.

Even in a tie stall barn its hard to limit, because they can steal off their neighbours.

Latest posts